Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

It's that time of year again

Views : 3013

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2011, 17:52   #21
Spike1918
Looney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
Be wary about no claims protection. What tends to happen is if you make a claim the following year the discount percentage will remain the same. However, the base premium is increased because you are higher risk so net effect is your insurance still goes up and you've been paying for the privelige in advance. Also locks you in as other insurers won't take protected no claims into account if you claim then move on renewal.

Is this for real?
Why won`t other insurers take a protected no claims discount irrespective of claim history, as long as you`ve not broken the terms of the protection how the ferk can it make a difference?
I plan to move away from Swinton next May when my current insurance expires and have 9 yrs+ protected no claims discount. Earlier in the year because of some muppet truck driver overfilling his diesel tank, the Volvo had a coming together with some armco on the way to Oban.
So, because I was fully comprehensive and had a 450 quid excess, I chose to have the car assessed and categorised as a `C`. I then kept the car, got a 290 quid payout and put another 200 quid to it to get my Volvo repaired privately through some contacts in the business.
I plan to keep the old girl til she dies so I`m not in the least concerned about the insurance category write off but this news about moving to a cheaper or different insurer being difficult because of protected NCB concerns me.

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 17:53   #22
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransman View Post
My quote is for 14,000 miles and £250 total excess. I am the main driver with my wife as a named driver. I wouldn't have thought that an extra 4,000 miles would add that much, say around £30-£35?? Edited to add: Just checked on moneysupermarket.com and it added only £8.

I wonder if you live in a black spot for insurance claims?

Could you try putting in an address in Bristol to see if that brings it more in line.
On my new XC60 SE AWD with simular age, mileage, excess, full NCD, etc. I pay £266 via LV Insurance Co who are ranked in top 3 in recent Which survey which then increased last month by £47/annum with my polestar upgrade
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 18:46   #23
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
On my new XC60 SE AWD with simular age, mileage, excess, full NCD, etc. I pay £266 via LV Insurance Co who are ranked in top 3 in recent Which survey which then increased last month by £47/annum with my polestar upgrade
Have just tried LV= and that comes to £647

Changed job to manager - no effect, changed wife to 'housewife' - increased by £10, removed wife - increased by £20, reduced mileage - reduced by £30.

Will end up going with RAC, who offer £328 when provided with EXACTLY the same information as Aviva, RSA, Volvo, Churchill, LV=, etc who are all up in the £600-£750 bracket

Definitely seems to pay to shop around, but it appears to be a complete lottery to me, with one difference - there is a chance that you could win in the lottery
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 18:48   #24
scotgc

At renewal time I always always do an on line quote giving the same details but as a new customer, it is always cheaper! Insurance companies like all financial institutions play on our lazyness when it comes to products. They will invariably "match" their own quote thus saving you several pounds.
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 12:52   #25
GreaseNipple

For info. Renewed with LV last month £295. MY12 D5 R-Design, 12000mls, garaged o'night, max NCD, £400 excess, legal expenses, courtesy car, 180 days foreign use, NCD guarantee, age55yrs, retired.
GreaseNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 13:44   #26
volvorocks
Rodney

I generally stay with the same insurer. Each year sure as eggs are eggs our insurances increase come renewal. I use the compare sites to get a rough idea then ring whoever I am insured with and make them an offer.

Companies are all seeking "new customers" and loyalty counts for nothing nowadays so I remind them that it is in their interest to retain our custom.

I have had some absolutely ridiculous conversations with insurance companies (as some can imagine..lol) with the best being a house renewal quote where after 15 minutes of going through all the details they came up with a "different" policy, a "new" product that was nearly half the price of the original renewal and offered "virtually" the same cover. I pointed out that the cover was identical only to be told it was "very very similar". I said no , its identical. Operator said no "very very similar". So I re-iterated that the cover was identical, even the name was the same and she said “yes but its a much cheaper policy isn’t it"……!!!!!!!!!!!!!..eh..??..?????

For those that have courtesy car cover an interesting thing about courtesy cars on insurance can be seen here

Regards

Last edited by volvorocks; Dec 9th, 2011 at 13:46.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 14:45   #27
Ransman
Master Member

Well I used Comparethemarket.com and Quotemehappy.com came out as £305.56.

After speaking to Churchill retentions they reduced to £308.46 so, with such a little difference, it was not worth changing. It may not be a massive saving, but it's better in my pocket than theirs!

Anyway, it has to be worth a few quid to avoid having my business with a company that goes by the name Quotemehappy.com.

Churchill have an interesting pricing structure on mileage:
12-13k add £29
13-14k add another £15
15-18k add £6
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 20:56   #28
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincehead View Post
Is this for real?
Why won`t other insurers take a protected no claims discount irrespective of claim history, as long as you`ve not broken the terms of the protection how the ferk can it make a difference?
I plan to move away from Swinton next May when my current insurance expires and have 9 yrs+ protected no claims discount. Earlier in the year because of some muppet truck driver overfilling his diesel tank, the Volvo had a coming together with some armco on the way to Oban.
So, because I was fully comprehensive and had a 450 quid excess, I chose to have the car assessed and categorised as a `C`. I then kept the car, got a 290 quid payout and put another 200 quid to it to get my Volvo repaired privately through some contacts in the business.
I plan to keep the old girl til she dies so I`m not in the least concerned about the insurance category write off but this news about moving to a cheaper or different insurer being difficult because of protected NCB concerns me.
if you have 9+ yrs no claims, plus 2 claims in the past 5 yrs, you will be better off than someone with 4 yrs no claims plus 2 similar claims in the past 5yrs. you just won't be as well off as someone with 9+ yrs and no claims in the past 2 yrs.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 10:34   #29
tayandre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincehead View Post
Is this for real?
Yes, protected no claims is a bit of a scam. Your percentage discount is protected but your base premium isn't.

So say you have 60% no claims, base premium is £1000, so you pay £400 for insurance. You have a prang, you stay at 60% no claims but your base premium goes up to £1800 because you are now deemed a higher risk. You still have 60% no claims discount with this company but your insurance has gone up to £720.

If you decide to go to another insurer they will not accept the protected no-claims discount, raise your base premium becuase you are a higher risk and you will have a much smaller no claims discount because of your prang. Result....? You are now locked into the original insurer until you are back at a real 5 or 6 years no claims.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 10:39   #30
volvorocks
Rodney

^^^...........and that means that the original insurer is free to bump up the premium to whatever they fancy
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote