Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre noise ????????????????????????????

Views : 3505

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2012, 15:51   #21
Blaven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptf View Post
Just looked them up on line and they are Maxxis Maruader. and they are an all weather tyre.
They have loads of tread on them, cant see any edge wear on inside or outside.

I really am not convinced its tyre noise. yes there is some tyre noise at speed,but its a constant noise, the noise I am talking about almost a pulsing noise,which increases with speed.
Not sure what to do now as two volvo dealers have found nothing, the supplying dealer said they could not hear any noise at all, I am sure its brake related, maybe a fraction of warp is just rubbing enough to cause a noise.

My local dealer will not change anything unless they are sure its that, bet if I was paying they would change items.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 'Marauder' more biased towards off road use?

If so, then you will definitely get a lot more noise. Just a thought.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 16:06   #22
ptf

would not know as they were on the car.

I have checked the website but it just says all weather tyre and is only listed in 4x4 section, so i suppose it could be. I will do some investigating.
ptf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 17:33   #23
Premier Member

I have heard many tyres over the years that have been noisy, usually because they have been low cost budget brands or because they have been worn. The noise I have always heard is a drone that starts at a certain speed and then varies in volume but not pitch as speed increases, or sometimes changes if the road surface changes. I genuinely thought I had heard it all until my wife bought an old Focus as a run-about a couple of years ago.
The car developed what everyone, including a Ford mechanic, thought was a wheel bearing on the way out, a nasty resonance that varied with speed and loading that could even be felt through the steering wheel at 25 - 35 mph. As the car was only doing a very small mileage of about 30 miles a week I decided to let it develop as I did not fancy stripping it down in the winter, however I did take it to get some new tyres on before the snow came and surprise surprise, the noise has gone completely. The old tyres were Pirelli P6000 and had about 4 - 5 mm left on them, so were neither cheap or worn out!
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 14:56   #24
ptf

Angry

been under the car today to check a few things. mainly drive shaft, but cant see any marks where something may be rubbing, as was the case with my mercedes. Heatsheild had movement and could have caused a knocking on body as did the undertray, carried out a couple of temporary fixes and did not cure the noise.
I am convinced it is brake noise as when I brake the noise stops,or could become constant, not sure. the back discs look quite scored. I was going to jack it up and see if I have any wheel noise freewheeling,but no jack as its got the puncture repair kit. I am hoping to take it to my tyre dealer tomorrow and have a look etc, but Volvo have told me they tried this.
really not happy as only had the car two weeks now and its really beginning to p**s me off now. What can i do about it if i cant find the cause as volvo dealers cant do much else as they wont change anything that has not got an obvious fault.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 16:29   #25
kentishdriver

Swap the wheels around, fronts to back, and backs to front, and see if that has any effect.
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 16:58   #26
Blaven11

Go to Volvo Customer Services if the dealer maintains that stance. You may need to be persistent but I have found it usually works.

I appreciate that in reality you would want to keep them on board for any future needs/wants etc, but if you have a problem keep at them.

I assume they have had a mechanic in the car with you to try and I D the noise?
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 18:06   #27
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptf View Post
been under the car today to check a few things. mainly drive shaft, but cant see any marks where something may be rubbing, as was the case with my mercedes. Heatsheild had movement and could have caused a knocking on body as did the undertray, carried out a couple of temporary fixes and did not cure the noise.
I am convinced it is brake noise as when I brake the noise stops,or could become constant, not sure. the back discs look quite scored. I was going to jack it up and see if I have any wheel noise freewheeling,but no jack as its got the puncture repair kit. I am hoping to take it to my tyre dealer tomorrow and have a look etc, but Volvo have told me they tried this.
really not happy as only had the car two weeks now and its really beginning to p**s me off now. What can i do about it if i cant find the cause as volvo dealers cant do much else as they wont change anything that has not got an obvious fault.
Does your dealer have another XC 90 you could drive to check the noise it not some charcteristic. I too have an R - Design although on Pirellis and there have been various 'rumbling' noises from day I had and have read others on here discussing similar noises - I have done 19k miles now in 2 years with no issues and 'noise' is same now as day I got it...just that I have got used to it I guess!!!
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 23:24   #28
JimG
Premier Member

I can recommend my tyre fitter. He knows his stuff, and is honest. He mainly does tyres and alignment, but also servicing too so he maybe able to help.

MTMC Tonbridge, ask for Harry.

http://www.mtmctyres.co.uk/

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 13:37   #29
Ron_XC90
Master Member

I have some increased tyre noise now, just checked the pressure and noticed that both rear tyres on the inside have uneven wear. when you run your hand over it, the inside of the tyre is not round but ups and downs if you know what I mean... almost a wobbly effect
Could this be caused by the shocks on the way out?
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 17:57   #30
ptf

Angry

thanks for all replies so far, Did not get chance to go to my tyre mate today,probably friday now.

Can I just clarify the noise as best I can.
I start to hear it around 25 - 30 mph and starts as a wor,wor,wor,wor noise, it does not seem to change pitch and only ends upa constant noise around 60 - 70 mph, which TBH is not a problem, its town driving thats worse, and the most annoying, and i suppose i am tuned into now aswell.
Could this really be tyre noise, I can understand a constant droning could be an uneven, or worn flat spot or something similar ,but I cannot see any evidence of this.