Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent starter issue…

Views : 1868

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 05:59   #21
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbunt View Post
Thanks for all of the above! Derek, I will check that wire! Ron and 142, I was thinking of that remote starter switch this winter when I redid carbs and manifolds and an entire new brake booster with fabricated bracket and hard lines! I think it would be nice insurance for the “I hope it never happens again but did!”
Ordered a new ignition switch today. I don’t like the jiggling required sometimes to get it to turn. The key (the only one I have) is quite worn which at the very least means the replacement lock has been in use for some time. For less than $100- it seems good practice to know I have a good lock, and an extra key.
Thought about adding the relay but it seems like more complication and I’m pretty simple minded;-)
The starter has never done anything weird, and I’ve lived with dodgy starters before. It didn’t seem to be getting any power at all, which could be Derek’s aforementioned small gauge wire (which will be “re-connectored” tomorrow before the new switch comes from VP), or a worn out starter power contact on the ignition lock.
As my insurance, I’ll get Ron’s remote switch or fashion one (unlikely!) and put it in the boot as a secret weapon! (Trying hard to use proper Brit terminology as my grandpa was from Gateshead!)
And thanks again all. Will update this if things change, but at least I feel I’ll have eliminated a lot of prior “exposures” and given myself tools besides a shove and a bump to the clutch. I don’t want to have to think about always parking on a hill!

And blueosprey, I used to think of you when I went to visit my cousin in Pine Plains NY and passed by Lime Rock on my way from Guilford! And Ron’s a Nutmegger too so we should all me someday somewhere!
... this is a bilingual forum.

Old Sep 1st, 2023, 12:13   #22
Amber Carter
I've Been Banned

The intermittent starting problem with your '67 Volvo B18d, where there's no response from the starter when you turn the key, can be a perplexing issue. Given the rarity and self-correction of the problem, it's crucial to consider potential electrical connections, wiring, and components. You've already checked the engine-to-body ground strap, which is a good start. In such cases, it's advisable to systematically inspect and possibly replace or clean all relevant electrical connections, including those at the battery terminals, starter solenoid, ignition switch, and grounding points. Consider having a mechanic with electrical expertise use diagnostic tools to monitor voltage and continuity during the issue's occurrence, as this can help pinpoint the root cause of the intermittent starting problem more accurately. Additionally, if the ignition switch is known to be finicky, it might be worthwhile to replace it, as it could potentially contribute to the issue.
Amber Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 13:15   #23
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Totally agree on checking all connections. The problem here is that it’s very intermittent, as in twice in three years, which could easily point to more than one reason. Both times I’ve been able to bump start with the clutch before being able to/needing to, diagnose with a meter.
Double checked the connector on the small gauge wire to the starter as suggested by Derek and replaced the ignition lock.

Fingers crossed…
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 16:29   #24
142 Guy
Master Member

If you carry the remote start switch as a back up and it facilitates starting, you have a high degree of confidence that the problem is not the starter motor and is a bad connection 'someplace else'. Unfortunately, finding someplace else is going to land on you; but, at least you know its not the starter.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 17:48   #25
norustplease

Default Intermittent starter issue

Interesting thread. My 544 does this occasionally and usually trying the key a few times, assisted with a few good old Lancashire swear words sees it start again.
I haven't chased it down to any specific cause, but my car has an aftermarket starter switch, and I wonder if that is to blame. In my case I think that the ignition light stays on and the battery is certainly fine since when it does connect it does a good job of turning the engine over.
I would quite like the idea of a push button starter, and indeed rigged one up many years ago in a 122S that kept snapping off ignition keys. I would guess that my 544 has done something like that, leading the PO to chop the armoured cable and pull the wires out to connect a generic key switch.
norustplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 18:50   #26
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
If you carry the remote start switch as a back up and it facilitates starting, you have a high degree of confidence that the problem is not the starter motor and is a bad connection 'someplace else'. Unfortunately, finding someplace else is going to land on you; but, at least you know its not the starter.
I do have to get that starter switch as I agree it would make it a lot clearer where the weak link is… Although I replaced the ignition lock itself, after doing that I now understand the ignition switch better and can see that there’s potential for a failure in the switch itself and not just the lock. But, after being on this forum for quite a few years now, I don’t remember that switch ever really being discussed as a weak point, or even a point of discussion. I’ve gone through all the connections and as mentioned, hoping something like that small gauge wire that Derek mentioned might have something to do with it. In the past, whenever there has been an electrical issue it has been solved with a wire brush on corroded contacts.
The new lock does feel good though, albeit very new and stiff. Guessing that will smooth out in a bit.
So now it’s a race to see if my grandpa summer state of mind can get it together to have the remote switch on hand in the event of another non-start. I will also attempt to be more analytical in my cataloguing of symptoms instead of just desperately thrashing in an attempt to get the engine running!
But, so far so good! And now I also have a spare key!
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote