Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best Tyres?

Views : 2254

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2023, 08:48   #21
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
I struggle to find any in the right size & fitted to the same sort of car (minor size differences and vehicle weight will change the results), and tyres vary between markets so I can't use a test performed in the UK or US. Buying tyres for me feels like rolling the dice.
I have to admit the amount of stuff on the web from the US, with them being 10 times the population of the UK, can be irritating when looking for relevant advice, and I hadn't thought that you being in Australia with an even smaller population must find it even worse. When it comes to things like tyres do you get lumped in with Asia or are you your own niche market?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 09:17   #22
concrete

I ran my XC70 on Michelin cross climates for the it’s last 6 or so years. I couldn’t fault them, especially in the wet.
concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 02:11   #23
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
I have to admit the amount of stuff on the web from the US, with them being 10 times the population of the UK, can be irritating when looking for relevant advice, and I hadn't thought that you being in Australia with an even smaller population must find it even worse. When it comes to things like tyres do you get lumped in with Asia or are you your own niche market?
I honestly don't know, road conditions on average here are I guess fairly different to the average in Asia (dryer here & with more expenditure on road maintenance) and I guess most of Asia has less money to spend on tyres. If a manufacturer has a factory in Asia then it sorta makes sense we get the tyres from there, from a transport/logistics POV.

I'm starting to suspect there's more generalisation over the globe though. I don't know this, but I think a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S here may have the same tread & compound as one sold there; but the model-name is no guarantee. For example a Pirelli P-Zero in 1985 was probably the same due to them being so expensive & really only on expensive/rare cars, but these days something called P-Zero is likely a different compound here (tread-patterns seem to be pretty consistent).

But even if the tyres are the same, the road surfaces are different in different countries. Actually that's a reason you can't take too much away from a comparison between tyres that have similar-ish performance on a pure race-track; race track surfaces are quite different to road surfaces (well they are here).
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 10:06   #24
Pointer7

I have Uniroyal Rainsport 5's on my S60, really pleased with them, had Davanti DX640's before which were also ok but the Uni's are much better...
Pointer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 22:26   #25
baggy798
🤍💙💗

I went for some rubber ones, seem to be ok.😉

Not a fan of the Bridgestone Turanza T005 on the front, feels like they're rolling over when cornering hard - soft sidewalls. Only less than a year old but going to change them for an XL all season from any of the big manufacturers this year.
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 23:13   #26
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
I went for some rubber ones, seem to be ok.😉
Good decision!

Meanwhile, Cooper tyres are made out of rocks ... that way they don't wear out!!!
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote