Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 keep losing power

Views : 19289

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2010, 17:23   #1
soft5

Default XC90 keep losing power

Hi there wonder if anyone can advise me. I have a xc90 53 plate auto diesel, for 2 years now i have been driving it and it keeps losing power as soon as i rev counter go up to 3. when it lose power it will not go fast no matter how much gas i give it. to solve the problem i pull over turn off the engine and restart, I have taken it to volvo three times and they could not find the problem. also whenever the vehicle lose power the sign on the dash says engine service required. I am getting really scared now as it is too dangerous to drive, other drivers are not patient and it could cause accidents. Can anyone help me please.
soft5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 17:34   #2
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by soft5 View Post
Hi there wonder if anyone can advise me. I have a xc90 53 plate auto diesel, for 2 years now i have been driving it and it keeps losing power as soon as i rev counter go up to 3. when it lose power it will not go fast no matter how much gas i give it. to solve the problem i pull over turn off the engine and restart, I have taken it to volvo three times and they could not find the problem. also whenever the vehicle lose power the sign on the dash says engine service required. I am getting really scared now as it is too dangerous to drive, other drivers are not patient and it could cause accidents. Can anyone help me please.
Hi If there is no fault codes stored the first thing i would check or at the very least have changed is the fuel filter (if you follow the normal service schedule)
its not changed at regular intervals personally for the cost i would change it every service..

Russ
RT Mechanics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RT Mechanics For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 17:41   #3
soft5

Default xc90 losing power

Thank you for replying, yes faults have come up when put on computer I have fixed the faults but still losing power. I will change the fuel filter tomorrow to see if that works.
thanks again
soft5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 18:59   #4
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Thank you for replying, yes faults have come up when put on computer I have fixed the faults but still losing power. I will change the fuel filter tomorrow to see if that works.
thanks again
Great lets us know how it goes
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 20:15   #5
ex Triumph Man

You could also check that the turbo is getting a decent volume of air intake. I know this used to be a big problem on Td5 Land Rover Discovery models.
ex Triumph Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ex Triumph Man For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 19:18   #6
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
thanks again
Any luck ????
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 08:41   #7
XC60KEV
Master Member

Quote:
Hi, i had the same message and symptoms after only 20 miles on the clock on day I got the car The car limped along regardless of how much throttle was applied. It transpired that one of the turbo hoses had worked its way loose. The dealer fixed this in a few minutes with a new jubilee clip to secure on, since then no issues.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 12:58   #8
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

Just a thought - I had a similar problem on a SEAT LEON TDi a while back. It turned out to be the turbo actuator rod, which is run by vacuum pressure from the inlet manifold(?) I believe. Anyway, the rod itself had corroded just a little bit, meaning it was not sliding in and ouit of the rubber boot over the bottom of the variable geometry turbine. The dealer had quoted me about £1000 for a new turbo, and I fixed it (permanently - at least for the next three years before I sold it) with a squirt of WD40!

Check hoses, and connections as advised by a previous poster, but also see if there is a linkage system such as on the LEON, and carefully oil it. These things can also be caused by solenoid valves in the vacuum system not actuating as they should.
ITServe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 17:16   #9
jase380

Had the same problem on an s60 d5 and also on my old v70 d5, was the fuel filter both times, just waiting for my xc90 to do the same !!
jase380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 23:57   #10
In Reverse

I too had this problem on my 05 XC90, loss of power - engine going into limp mode, but clearing itself when I stopped and started it. Main dealer was useless, telling me it could be number of expensive issues, but couldnt guarantee any would actually solve the problem.

I took advice from many on this forum and got fuel filter changed. It was so dirty that my mechanic decided to clean out fuel lines also.

That was 7000 miles ago and car has run fine since. Less than £30 for new filter, defo worth a try. Good luck.
In Reverse is offline   Reply With Quote