Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trying to decide between models

Views : 3986

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 21:52   #21
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2222 View Post
Glorious sound, one of my brothers cars is a V10 R8 and while it is not as distinctive you can still hear it. His wife has an Audi TT RS which I think sounds better than the R8 but I have only drove her car once where as I have drove his car more than he has.
The TT RS has the same engine as the RS3. It's crazy how much power tuners get out of them.

I would have thought the V10 sounds epic?
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 22:57   #22
Will2222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev78 View Post
The TT RS has the same engine as the RS3. It's crazy how much power tuners get out of them.

I would have thought the V10 sounds epic?
He has a full Milltek exhaust on it and it sounds too loud I think.
Will2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 22:58   #23
Considered1
Premier Member

agree with much of the above, 8 Speed Box is magic and makes the Auto but FWd only, but I didnt have a problem with the old 6 speed box just a bit dated now. Auto even better with Adaptive Cruise on the Driver Support Pack.
Find a dealer that has all the cars you want to test as the seats are all different. I started thinking I could only afford SE or SE Lux and with the massive discount on offer ended up R Design Lux with a lot of toys! Have fun and take your time, they wont sell out.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 23:10   #24
Will2222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev78 View Post
It's the old geartonic auto that slows the D5 down. The manual feels considerably quicker.

I have a D5 polestar manual (230bhp) and it's quicker than I was expecting.
How do you find the manual gearbox?

I'm going to try the manual gearbox in a D5 later in the week. I will also be opting for the Polestar upgrade whichever version I get so I'd be interested what difference that made as well.
Will2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 10:13   #25
Considered1
Premier Member

I'd never had an auto before the Volvo, guess I was saving it for my first premium vehicle, would never go back.

Don't forget the flappy paddles are the cheapest option after the media remote control and whilst I don't use the flappies often have definately not used the remote since day1! £150 well spent to ease you in.

One other thing to bare in mind is that the auto gearboxes will learn your driving style over the first so many miles. I test drove a brand new demonstrator as it was the only car available after I insisted they took the plastic off.

Last edited by Considered1; Nov 4th, 2015 at 10:16.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 13:21   #26
emjga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
Now I cannot believe I am 'saying' this 'out loud' but...

My 12 month old D4 181 is showing no signs of any problems....still goes like stink and is near-silent when cruising at legal speeds.

I dont think we should overplay the issues that some are experiencing compared to the number of engines sold.
I was saying the same as you up until 18 months old (The car) and then it all went wrong .....
Time will tell.
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 13:36   #27
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2222 View Post
How do you find the manual gearbox?

I'm going to try the manual gearbox in a D5 later in the week. I will also be opting for the Polestar upgrade whichever version I get so I'd be interested what difference that made as well.
I can't really say what difference polestar makes as I've only driven my manual with polestar.

It's only 10 bhp so I don't think it's much. Maybe it makes a bigger difference in a auto because it makes gear changes more aggressive? I just wanted the little blue badge

We get ripped off over here. Other markets get polestar as standard on r designs.

The manual isn't bad at all. It's not a sporty box obviously but it's good enough and the car feels much quicker than the auto.

I can honestly say I'm really happy with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev78 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 20:01   #28
Kev78

The one thing I forgot to mention that does irritate me is the lack of a footrest.

I've not had a new car without one for as long as I can remember.

A bit cheap on volvos part considering the cost of the car.

Does anyone know of a aftermarket footrest that will fit?

Last edited by Kev78; Nov 4th, 2015 at 20:40.
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 20:40   #29
mrboroman

The lack of footrest has bothered me but after a week i have got used to it.

Really pleased i chose r design lux over se lux as its a soft enough ride for me.

What really annoying me is when i use the sat nav.

I say cancel route and it says back to me. Am i sure i want to cancel rude guidance. ��
mrboroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 20:42   #30
mrboroman

Ohh can anyone advise if its possible to have the headlights come on when unlocking the car at night. My astra did but i cant work out if its possible in the handbook
mrboroman is offline   Reply With Quote