Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 auto transmission worries

Views : 15286

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:20   #21
mrpeevly

The 2.5T does look nice, some running boards and maybe some 20" alloys and low profile tyres and maybe I wont miss the Audi so much!!
mrpeevly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 16:42   #22
Kal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeevly View Post
Regarding the 2.9 T6, I was following on ebay, a voiced my concerns about the GM auto box fitted to those models and he replied with this:

"auto box they fit in the American xc90 is gm box different to the ones they sell in Europe"

Is this true, I thought Volvo used the same auto box in USA and Europe.
If its a 4 speed transmission then its can only be the GM unit. The reason Volvo put the GM unit in was that it was the only "off the shelf" unit that they could fit in the engine bay. This is due to the block length of the inline six 2.9 engine. If there was another transmission Volvo could have used I am certain that they would have ditched the GM unit in a flash.
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 20:44   #23
mrpeevly

That is what I thought, although admittedly not quite in as much detail: brilliant information, exactly the type of thing I like to know, even or especially if it is never of any use.

I think it is 2.5T all the way for me, unless that elusive 3.2 appears: as if by magic.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 10:14   #24
Finbo

There's a 2.5T on the Volvo UK website (Yorkshire dealer) and on autotrader at the moment. Both are between 13-14k but both are manuals.
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 10:51   #25
inishfalle

Default Autotrader has a 3.2 at 6900?

Hi

I have xc90 06 3.2 se lux bought at height of petrol/oil prices as dealers offered huge discounts on demo bought for 24 k with dvd sat nav etc. Given marginal mpg 23 vs 30 plus on diesel and continuing 10p per litre petrol/diesel price diff i was very happy with the model and still am after 10000 miles. Yes its not great mpg around town but i dont use it for that mainly for long journeys to wales,cambs,france ireland etc. I dont see not many around but did see models like mying going through auctions at 12k! Also a search on autotrader shows above model (very cheap).

Auto transmission is very smooth, very fast pull away although heavy foot at lights will take out front set of tyres after 15k miles at about 150 quid a corner. Car hugely practical for family of 5 plus large dog and for shifting gear to dump etc. Very realible very comfortable mile eater. I would not bother with lpg conversion is it will not pay for it self. Keep an eye on the classifieds bound to see recession bargains such as above appearing soon.

Good Luck

NB also drove back from somerset through London via a303, m3 and m25 at the height of the SNOW EVENT had no problems and felt quite safe in the 4 x 4, in thick snow just had to turn of traction control and switch to manual mode and winter mode otherwise car was unstoppable.

Quote:
As you may have guessed when I say G6 I mean T6, d'oh.

I would love to get the 3.2, but I think it will be just beyond my reach financially, good to know that does not use the GM box, I guess the 2.5T which also as you say does not use the GM box is an option.

It seems I am doing everything possible to avoid the oil burner, despite the fantastic reviews it gets, as you may surmise have never owned a diesel before, I am test driving some tomorrow and if I can stand the slow pull away, which is reported, then maybe I get the D5, that said I don't do that many miles so petrol still tempting.

Thanks for the turbo saving tip, I will remember that, good information to impress my friends.

In summary:

D5 oil burner but very good, no auto box issues, will test drive may be very tempted

2.5T better performance, no auto box issues, hard to find.

2.9 T6 avoid like the plague, under ratted GM auto box, 50K (approx.) then pop.

3.2 if I can afford if, I am having one, maybe add LPG conversion, takes about 2 years+ to pay for itself though.

Last edited by inishfalle; Feb 24th, 2009 at 10:57.
inishfalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 12:07   #26
mrpeevly

Thanks for the information, pretty much just confirms what I have been thinking, the economy not great but I don't do that many miles anyway, maybe 8K a year and if it costs me another £20-30 a month in fuel than so be it. I will gladly take the hit for the performance over the D5, all day long. That said twins on the way, if I don't find one soon I think I will just pick up a cheap "oil-burner" and keep my eye out for a nice 3.2, over the coming year.

I saw the one you are talking about on Autotrader, it was there yesterday as well, can not phone them up, unrecognised number, I emailed, then the advert disappeared, I guess unsurprisingly, only to reappear today I emailed again, in an excited fashion, no response, boo hoo. I am also keeping an eye on my local auction, but not seen even a diesel go though.

UPDATE:
The advert has just disappeared again!!!!
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 12:28   #27
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Thanks for the information, pretty much just confirms what I have been thinking, the economy not great but I don't do that many miles anyway, maybe 8K a year and if it costs me another £20-30 a month in fuel than so be it. I will gladly take the hit for the performance over the D5, all day long. That said twins on the way, if I don't find one soon I think I will just pick up a cheap "oil-burner" and keep my eye out for a nice 3.2, over the coming year.
You could have the best of both worlds if you get the 185 bhp D5 and get a RICA chiptune. The 3.2 is 238 bhp and 320 Nm torque. The chipped D5 is 226 bhp and 420 Nm torque. My guess is in the real world the chipped D5 will be faster because of the torque.

Roy
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 13:07   #28
mrpeevly

I like the way you are thinking, that is a really good idea, masses of second hand D5s on the market, should be easy to find a nice one. Get RICA upgrade, running boards, if it does not have them already and there should be room in the budget for some nice 20" alloys and low profile tyres, then I have myself a pimp-mobile, nice.

Can anybody answer the following:

Can the RICA upgrade damage the car in the long term?

Has anybody had a RICA upgrade on a XC90 D5 185, if so what were the results?

How much is the said upgrade, approx.?

I have emailed a couple of authorised RICA tuners, with some of the above questions, but would still like to know your thoughts on here?

Thanks everybody, really homing in now, I am sure I will be a "proper" member soon!!!!
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 13:31   #29
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Can anybody answer the following:

Can the RICA upgrade damage the car in the long term?

Hold on you're talking about a Volvo here. Cars that often do over 1,000,000 plus miles. I suppose you may well need to replace parts that have worn out more quickly, (certainly tyres) at some point in the future, but I think it will be very much down to how you drive the car. There are plenty of 40 year old tuned Volvo's in the club but they do get worked on.

Roy
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 15:15   #30
mrpeevly

Lipscomb Volvo:

£595 for the re-tune, I thought it might by cheaper, although I have thus far made no attempt to knock 'em down a bit