Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on fitting M41 + D-type O/D to 1970 145

Views : 3421

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 17:10   #21
laptoprob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kean View Post
I'm really interested as I would like to know if a '66 P1800 overdrive box could fit my '72 145.
No problem. You only have to swithc the gearbox covers. And take care of the reverse light switch on the box. That may be different.
laptoprob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 20:55   #22
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

I thought that it was time to re-visit this now! I have dug the gearbox out from the back of the garage where it was put in disgust and have given it a good cleandown ready to split the overdrive unit from the gearbox so i can see whats what.
On cleaning it down i found a little tag on the base of the gearbox that says M40G with a part number of 254498.
Now i thought that the gearbox with overdrive was an M41 unit?
Am i missing sonmething here being totally new to the Volvo gearbox scene?
I was also told that this set up was from a 1969 2 litre P1800, but the box clearly has 1964/65 date markings on it, so i am presuming it is a very early overdrive box maybe?
Can anyone confirm the overdrive type for me, i am sure from all the information i can find that it is a D-type?
Many thanks in advance for your input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (264.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (198.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (218.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (275.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (248.2 KB, 14 views)
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:21   #23
Derek UK
VOC Member

This is a D type OD. Going by the gear lever extension, probably from an 1800of the dates quoted. J type came along with the B20. Solenoid is on the opposite side on the J and actually says "J" on the information plate.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 09:59   #24
laptoprob

Yes, it's a D-type from an 1800. No worries, it will fit just fine under your 145. Just swap the top covers. I have a D-type myself under my '70 145. The reduction is just a little more than with a J-type, so it runs a bit quiter.

Do you have a short prop and a fitting box support crossbeam? That's different than the regular M40 crossmember. If you carefully cut enough bits out, it can made to fit though.
The Following User Says Thank You to laptoprob For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 22:31   #25
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

Thank you for your replies.
I split the overdrive unit from the gearbox today as something is VERY stiff to turn and as suspected, its the overdrive unit. The gearbox turns freely by hand, but the overdrive is as good as solid.
Looks as if a stripdown is on the cards for that now then!
Any advice gratefully received!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laptoprob View Post
Do you have a short prop and a fitting box support crossbeam? That's different than the regular M40 crossmember. If you carefully cut enough bits out, it can made to fit though.
I have the prop that came from the P1800 that looks as if its the right length from the quick measure up i had, so fingers crossed on that one!
As for the crossmember, i do not have one yet, but would one from an Amazon that had a D-type overdrive set up suit do you know?

Last edited by WPR678B; Apr 6th, 2012 at 22:35.
WPR678B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 08:07   #26
laptoprob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPR678B View Post
I have the prop that came from the P1800 that looks as if its the right length from the quick measure up i had, so fingers crossed on that one!
As for the crossmember, i do not have one yet, but would one from an Amazon that had a D-type overdrive set up suit do you know?
Measure length en flange sizes. You might be lucky, but I doubt it will fit. The center bearing/rubber is different.

Crossmemeber: I think different as well. But you might frankenstein one from the original and the Amaon one!
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 14:31   #27
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

The 140 used a heavier duty, larger diameter prop with bigger UJ's. As said, flanges are different too. Probably best to have your 145 front prop shortened to suit your car. I think that the J OD is a smidgin longer than the D type so shorten the prop to fit the car rather than just to the normal J type/140 length. There are spline differences with the outputs from the D and J and this is the usual stumblng block with regard to flanges.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 16:37   #28
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The 140 used a heavier duty, larger diameter prop with bigger UJ's. As said, flanges are different too. Probably best to have your 145 front prop shortened to suit your car. I think that the J OD is a smidgin longer than the D type so shorten the prop to fit the car rather than just to the normal J type/140 length. There are spline differences with the outputs from the D and J and this is the usual stumblng block with regard to flanges.
Not necessarily, carburettor cars used the same size prop as a 120, only late injection cars had the big prop.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 20:55   #29
laptoprob

Default D and J

I swapped a M41 with a D overdrive for a J-type. No real length difference, the splines will adjust a bit of difference. Propshaft can remain unchanged, only the flange needs to be different. Higher powered motors did have a bigger prop, but that isn't really necessary.
Easiest way is to get your prop shortened and source a fitting flange.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 08:51   #30
tonydgray

I'm in the process of fitting a m410 gearbox/overdrive unit to my 145 and have just sorted the propshaft out. I had the issue with the larger flange on the overdrive and a small flange on the prop. There seem to be various options out there to get the bits to bolt up but its sourcing the parts that I found difficult. In the end I am getting my original prop shortened along with a new small flange for the overdrive from amazon cars, now everything should fit together.

I'm hopefully picking up the propshaft on saturday and the flange should be with me today so bolting the bits together to make sure they play nicely and then its onto the crossmember which I have not got a clue about yet!!

I hope the work on your overdrive is going to plan.

Cheers

Tony
tonydgray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonydgray For This Useful Post: