Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car insurance renewal - EU travel cost & admin charges

Views : 3740

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2015, 18:56   #21
Gilesme

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
And the price difference between the automatic renewal and the comparison sites was? and you saved?
I usually have a quick play on price comparison sites at renewal, but for me LV just seems to be always near the bottom of the price range (and although i've not yet claimed (touching wood here !)) i know from others are pretty painless should you need to.

Price isn't always the primary factor - i once went with First:Utility and regretted it for a couple of years !

As per my previous post, hopefully all insurers will start printing last years premium on the renewals.
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 19:18   #22
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Every year they try to stiff me 20%, I do an online quote and by some "magic" they manage to meet the online quote. "Amazing"
I know many are like that, hence why I said only two years running. Mine would be a dam sight cheaper mind without Class 3 use on there....
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 19:20   #23
Arianne
Premier Member

Default LV = respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilesme View Post
I usually have a quick play on price comparison sites at renewal, but for me LV just seems to be always near the bottom of the price range (and although i've not yet claimed (touching wood here !)) i know from others are pretty painless should you need to.

Price isn't always the primary factor - i once went with First:Utility and regretted it for a couple of years !
Liverpool Victoria
Quite a few folk have said very positive things about LV and I do understand why. In 2003 we had just bought a brand new Ford Galaxy Ghia. Driving south on the A1 Mrs A stopped at a roundabout and a woman in a Ford Fiesta drove straight into the back of us (the A1 had roundabouts in those days). Our Galaxy was just 3wks old. I was livid but kept calm as soon as I saw that the lady was so upset and she had an infant in the car with her.

She was insured with LV. No ifs, buts or maybe's - LV wrote to me direct and apologised for the actions of their policyholder, offered to repair the car at one of their bodyshops or one of my choice. No fuss, no hassle. They were everything that you don't expect a car insurance company to be.

First Utility
I remember when these guys were the cheapest, newest kid on the block for gas & electricity. But I stayed well clear because the customer reviews were appalling and their pricing structure looked weird.

Sheila's Wheels
Which is why this year I stayed clear of Sheila because, although she was cheapest on MoneySupermarket, the reviews were also 100% awful.

Volvo Insurance
And finally, through my letterbox this morning pops the invitation to contact the Volvo car insurance people for a quote. It looks good, as per other folks' posts on this thread. But I did notice one thing - just 31 days free EU cover. Lloyds Bank have offered me 60 days free.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice folks. We could go on and maybe we will? But if we do......try not to be too edgy with the posts - some folk will have had a hard day so go easy with the messages

Best wishes, Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Feb 16th, 2015 at 19:23.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 20:03   #24
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Good point Arianne....

Interesting irony for me when it comes to insurers is NFU Mutual actually having been hit by one of their drivers I thought it would be swift as the reviews they get are good.

Never have I met some an incompetent and not willing to listen company ever. Convenient to blame a new IT system, it might be but not to listen to a person who has been hit by one of their drivers is just simply amateur - I am not talking complex here I mean basic statements such as no I have a hire car and yes it is already at a bodyshop....

I had considered them in the past for a potential quote and maybe switching but overall after that forget it (and they were firmly told so).

Some insurers seem to forget when one of their third party's hit you it can also give you an impression of whether you would or not consider them in future.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 20:13   #25
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Never have I met some an incompetent and not willing to listen company ever.
Hmmmm...you ought to try the f^&wits that the stolen XC60 was with, that saga still rolls on. They have already been mentioned in this thread but until we accept a pay out I will keep quiet as it may still go to court.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 21:01   #26
pagan8c
Master Member

I have stayed with Volvo insurance because they have not raised the costs at renewal and I do look round first .What I like is you get the car taken to a volvo garage they also give the free EU cover and the cost for extra days isn't a fortune.I have had no problems with my DD unlike Scottish Power who have still not got it right after 6 months.I am switching to Sainsburys it is cheaper (for electric and gas).
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 21:38   #27
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan8c View Post
I am switching to Sainsburys it is cheaper (for electric and gas).
Sainsbury is the cheapest utility provider for most people right now. In-law's have just switched and, because there was a delay in effecting the switch, Sainsbury paid them £20 good-will straight into their bank account - they didn't even ask for this!

Arianne
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 17:46   #28
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Good point Arianne....

Interesting irony for me when it comes to insurers is NFU Mutual actually having been hit by one of their drivers I thought it would be swift as the reviews they get are good.

Never have I met some an incompetent and not willing to listen company ever. Convenient to blame a new IT system, it might be but not to listen to a person who has been hit by one of their drivers is just simply amateur - I am not talking complex here I mean basic statements such as no I have a hire car and yes it is already at a bodyshop....
I lost any love for NFU when they tried to raise our home insurance 40% a few years ago! Pretty quick to find an alternative.....yes, those things do stick with you & influence your selections!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 10:53   #29
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Time for the merry insurance dance again.....esure renewal 280, LV at 450, Volvo online fail, most quotes 290+, ended up with Aviva using TopCashBack to make it around £240 including legal, euro, NCD protection....

Another lump of my life I won't get back this year.....
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 11:09   #30
ashadam

One of the main benefits of company car driving is not having insurance hassles, excess charges and having to get new quotes every year due to your existing provider raising charges for no reason. I arrange my mothers insurance every year and she has never claimed or had an accident in almost 40yrs but most insurers try and increase every year except for LV (Not Cheapest).

Tags
eu cover, insurance