Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with a D5 (163bhp) XC90

Views : 3168

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 09:02   #21
don kalmar union
Trader

Default MTE Software installation.

MTE have developed their Softloader system to enable owners to carry out the installation themselves. You use their unique Softloader device as an interface between your car's OBD port and an XP or windows 7 equipped laptop. I loan that Softloader against a returnable deposit of £155.

If you visit http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4669/...ent-flash-tune which is on the site of MTE's US distributor you will find links to several videos going into some detail on how it all works, there is one difference in that outside of North America we send the initial MTE files by email, not on a disc.

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 13:06   #22
wilbur6669

[QUOTE=don kalmar union;1426497]A bit late on this thread but might be of interest to those having 'D5' power for towing...maybe better to quote 'torque' for 'van owners....

MTE's software gives increased outputs of 195bhp with 420nm of torque for the earlier D5s with 225bhp, 480nm for the later ones.

That costs you £395 for either and you have the advantage with MTE of being able to install it yourself with the help of an XP or windows 7 (32 bit) equipped laptop...so no need to travel.

Regards, Don.

Don

I have considered the MTE remap for my 2004 XC90 D5, but I am nervous about wheteher the turbo and (auto) transmission can relaibly accomodate the increased power/torque.
I tow, and would love the increase as hills kill me with the van on the back.

Do you have service/reliability data from people that have driven for more than just 20k miles,
Regards

Tim
wilbur6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 06:56   #23
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Reliability with an MTE 'D5' software installation.

I have been selling MTE's software for the various D5s for some years now and have no indication of it causing problems over time.

There were problems with rica's work on these cars which is probably better documented at www.t5d5.org and seemed to be related to intercoolers bursting on the very earlier S60 and V70 (P2) cars, smoking etc..

When developing this software for modern diesel engines the very exacting callibration of both fuel pressure and turbo boost pressure is essential for trouble free motoring.

Regards Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 20:58   #24
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
MTE have developed their Softloader system to enable owners to carry out the installation themselves. You use their unique Softloader device as an interface between your car's OBD port and an XP or windows 7 equipped laptop. I loan that Softloader against a returnable deposit of £155.

If you visit http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4669/...ent-flash-tune which is on the site of MTE's US distributor you will find links to several videos going into some detail on how it all works, there is one difference in that outside of North America we send the initial MTE files by email, not on a disc.

Don.
Can you tell me a little more about the "torque limiting" choice for Auto's ?
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 22:09   #25
Garethru

Default Volvo xc90 - 2010 d5 manual 185bhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethru View Post
Hi; I have recently purchased a 2010 185bhp manual xc90, first towing experience with 1700 TA at easter was excellent. Previous car was a 140bhp smax, it was ok but you could easily tell the difference.

The xc90 was at ease and frequently in 6th gear, only dropping to 5th on some hills and rarely to 4th, car was fully laden with 6 people and luggage so full train was near towards to max values.

Power from the xc90 on start off was excellent, and easily / quickly got up to speed to join with the flow of traffic.

Would recommend this to anybody, but I was expecting to notice a difference because this is the first large 4x4 I have towed with.

Towed about 3 or 4 times with this car now and find it great. Last full tri was to paington for may half term, as most are aware there are some cracking hills as you come off the motorway, in particular telegraph hill. The car as fully laden with 6 passengers plus luggage, the caravan was also at 1700kg so overall fully laden with a total train weight of about 4500kg.

As I exited the motorway another towing vehicle was unsure of where to go and caused my to slow down to about 30mph, so I then had to work the car hard but it took it in its stride, didn't manage to get upto 4th but was more than comfortable in 3rd gear at about 2500revs not to race the engine unnecessarily.

The previous 2.0 140bhp small would have been struggling its nuts off and to be honest I would not have attempted that journey and the smash is regarded as a very good tow car.

Owned the car for 6 months not real issues has nearly 30k on the clock so look forward to many years with the car as long as it stays trouble free. Solo the car will avgerage about 29mpg with mixed driving and then this falls to 23mpg towing.
Garethru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garethru For This Useful Post: