Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Eco tyres

Views : 3329

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2013, 00:01   #21
oragex
Premier Member

During the summer, winter tires are unsafe at highway speeds, and even in city driving, emergency braking on dry is awful.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 22:12   #22
deefadog

I nearly (last week) bought a set of part worn winter tyres advertised as having between 4-5mm luckily I lost the auction and the tyres as I have subsequently found out that below 4mm winter tyres lose most of their grip facility. The tyres sold for. £380. I bought a new set of Nokian WR SUV 3 for £500.

Chris
deefadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 22:47   #23
green van man
Premier Member

I have in the past used part worn tyres, now I am in the fortunate position of being able to afford premium new so that is what I buy.
Putting it in perspective, if you hire or borrow a car you may check the tyres ate there and legal but that's as far as it goes, you have no idea what happened to those tyres even a day ago but there is no thought of ''oh god I am using part worn tyres that I do not know the history of''.
To take it to rediculous lengths, are we not going to get on a bus because we do not know where the tyres have been or whether the tread was recut properly.
Many prat worn are on the market because the car was scrapped, possibly because it was written off in an accident but more commonly these days the electronics started giving problems and the bill quickly exceeded the value of the car so the owner cut their losses and scrapped it.
Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 18:37   #24
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Intersting reading your views. How many of you know of someone who has crashed when it has been the fault of having partworns fitted ?
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 19:25   #25
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
Intersting reading your views. How many of you know of someone who has crashed when it has been the fault of having partworns fitted ?
Good question, if I dare to raise the subject of remoulds for many years there has been an instinctive mistrust of remoulds and the common criticism was the delamination or separation of the tread, but when there was a survey of the treads found by the motorway they were found to be from new tyres rather than remoulds. (common cause of delamination is running with tyres under the correct pressure)
I still come back to my point from earlier that when the partworn market was investigated only one of the dealers sampled was selling correctly marked partworns and if we cant trust them to do something as simple as putting a sticker on the tyre then how trustworthy are they over the more complex matter of inspecting the carcase of the tyre.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 09:27   #26
arcturus
arcturus

Tires start to become "part worn" as soon as the car leaves the show room or we buy a new set. The point is we know their history. Unless commercially sold "part worn" tires are examined professionally, x ray etc, They could be potentially dangerous, damaged carcases etc. Remember "buy cheap pay dear" Better to be off the road than dead.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 01:21   #27
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
It's not illegal to swallow 100 aspirin but not advisable
Save money, 35 will do the job! That's kill you!! [300mg variety]

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 09:20   #28
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Save money, 35 will do the job! That's kill you!! [300mg variety]

Des. . .
If I take the 100 I won't need to worry about money any more. Then I can afford new tires
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 11:38   #29
Bernard333
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Tires start to become "part worn" as soon as the car leaves the show room or we buy a new set. The point is we know their history. Unless commercially sold "part worn" tires are examined professionally, x ray etc, They could be potentially dangerous, damaged carcases etc. Remember "buy cheap pay dear" Better to be off the road than dead.
I do not agree with this, I have been buying worn tyres for 10 years and 174000 miles, the only set of new tyres my V70 has had were the ones fitted when it was new and they didnt last very long. When I buy a part worn tyre I carefully examinine it, they have all been good. When I can see some evidence that worn tyres are bad I will consider it but anecdotes for or against are entertaining on a forum but its just opinion. I buy used tyres because I got fed up with new tryes getting ripped by potholes , paying £25 rather than £50 eases the pain.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 15:14   #30
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I have seen a number of faulty new tyres that fail within a short time of fitment. I would say that a part worn tyre could be less risk than buying new!

Lets face it the tyres you use will come down to what you can afford or justify spending.

Nice new car and in a position to afford it then yes fit the best tyres you can

Car getting towards end of life, finding things tight the common sense says a set of part worn tyres is far better than running on bald ones.

New tyres have to be sold and fitted to make parts worn's and to through away a perfectly good and usable part is stupid and not sustainable. It makes total sense to use them if that is the situation you are in.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote