Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the damage?

Views : 3016

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2012, 11:04   #21
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

If the axle housing is OK you just need a complete new shaft with hub from a donor car, complete with its own race. It's a dead easy job to swap over. The only bit likely to be difficult is getting the push-fit inner race out of the axle, if it has seized in. But you have already done that.
I swapped one for an over-zealous MOT tester once, who didn't understand bearing end-float.An hour later I was back for a retest.

If a replacement race just slides in and isn't lose, that's all there is to it.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 11:38   #22
morsing
Premier Member

Hi Clifford, it was tough getting the outer race out of the axle tube. I had to use a pipe wrench and leverage to pull it out. Glad to hear it's easier to get in

I'll take the half shaft down to Volvo and have a new bearing and lock-ring fit. I assume all this is still available? Was quite surprised when I found out brake pad anti-squeal shims are no longer available

I've just checked the bearing in the other side which is fine. The brake pads and retaining pins are not! The friction material had fallen off the backing plate, how on earth did this car still manage to stop?! The retaining pins are seized and I have not been able to get them out, so don't know how I can change the pads...

On the over-heated side, without pads in mind, only one piston comes out when I push the brake pedal but it might just be due to lack of resistance on the moving one.

Un-fortunately I ended up pushing it so far the seal broke. What is the purpose of this seal? Is it just to keep dirt out? Do I need to fit another?

Thanks
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 12:23   #23
stevo48
Premier Member

I would advise fitting a new seal(s) as they prevent dust and grit from getting into the caliper housing which would cause your caliper to sieze or leak.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 13:09   #24
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
I've just checked the bearing in the other side which is fine. The brake pads and retaining pins are not! The friction material had fallen off the backing plate, how on earth did this car still manage to stop?!
It's a 240!

In extream cases I have had to drill the pins out. Have you removed the R clips that hold the pins in?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 12:37   #25
chesters6
Master Member

Quote:
Hi Clifford, it was tough getting the outer race out of the axle tube. I had to use a pipe wrench and leverage to pull it out. Glad to hear it's easier to get in

I'll take the half shaft down to Volvo and have a new bearing and lock-ring fit. I assume all this is still available? Was quite surprised when I found out brake pad anti-squeal shims are no longer available

I've just checked the bearing in the other side which is fine. The brake pads and retaining pins are not! The friction material had fallen off the backing plate, how on earth did this car still manage to stop?! The retaining pins are seized and I have not been able to get them out, so don't know how I can change the pads...

On the over-heated side, without pads in mind, only one piston comes out when I push the brake pedal but it might just be due to lack of resistance on the moving one.

Un-fortunately I ended up pushing it so far the seal broke. What is the purpose of this seal? Is it just to keep dirt out? Do I need to fit another?

Thanks
sounds like mine was when i got it ,pads down to the metal and i had to use a punch to get the retainers out and one needed to be drilled.
luckily though the bolts were OK ,i took the opportunity to check the pistons and bought a oem set of piston seals and dust caps to refurbish them via ebay.
the end seal is just a dust seal the piston has another seal set in the caliper that retains the fluid and drives the piston etc
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 18:25   #26
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
It's a 240!

In extream cases I have had to drill the pins out. Have you removed the R clips that hold the pins in?
R-clips broke pulling the out, but yes.

I've dropped the half-shaft off at Volvo who said it will take 2-3 weeks to get a new bearing
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 11:39   #27
chesters6
Master Member

just found a picture of my cars pads ,this was the worst the rears did have a few mm of pad left! luckily the bearings were OK although i have replace 2 on one side since after failing in MOT's so perhaps the grease boiled away on that side?
the good thing about volvo's is that they use 2 part bearings ,my sons car bearing had to be taken to a nice man with a 10 ton press to get his to come out and then back to press the new one in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pad.JPG (113.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by chesters6; Apr 17th, 2012 at 11:42.
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 12:32   #28
940_Turbo

Quote:
R-clips broke pulling the out, but yes.

I've dropped the half-shaft off at Volvo who said it will take 2-3 weeks to get a new bearing
I think I've got a new Volvo bearing.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 01:34   #29
JonC

I would definitely replace or rebuild the calipers. Pushing the piston all the way in likely means some old corroded piston surface was pushed thru the hydraulic seal which cant be good.
Here in the US whole calipers are $35 each, no idea about UK..

Last edited by JonC; Apr 19th, 2012 at 01:39.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 19:30   #30
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
I would definitely replace or rebuild the calipers. Pushing the piston all the way in likely means some old corroded piston surface was pushed thru the hydraulic seal which cant be good.
Here in the US whole calipers are $35 each, no idea about UK..
So they're about 8 times more expensive over here...

I'll keep them as long they work...
The Following User Says Thank You to morsing For This Useful Post: