Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 Oddities?!

Views : 3306

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2011, 09:58   #21
Michael J
Master Member

I don't think so. I have a DL and used to have the large clock, my car occasionally "clicked" from somewhere around the middle of the dash. I've swapped the clock for a rev counter and fitted a small clock. The car still occasionally clicks. The small clock doesn't work, so it's not that.

I think it's probably just something expanding/contracting a little bit with temperature changes. At least that's what it sounds like to me.
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 11:33   #22
morsing
Premier Member

I get the same - sounds like expanding plastic to me...

And the full beam switch is brilliant, except mine is always in full beam mode when I put my lights on...
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 12:41   #23
kev240
Master Member

I have had the same noise on all my 240's, and I always thought it was the plastic expanding/contracting in the heat. I always thought it was coming from around the switches on the centre console.
Kevin.
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 16:40   #24
Magnumpi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridazadilak View Post
Hi!

I'm not sure if my '93 Torslanda is unique with these queries as for some of them I can't find anything on here, Turbobricks or any other forum.

4th: There's a buzzer in behind the stereo that madly buzzes when you get a bit aggressive with the throttle. The mix if tyre sizes that I've had on the rear has meant that the speedo has read between 70 and 90mph when it starts buzzing. Where is this buzzer and can i just hit it with a hammer to shut it up?!

Thanks for any advice!!

Dan

Hi Dan i have exactly the same thing with mine and it happens as soon as the speedo nudges past 70mph and carries on at any speed above that, drop down below 70 and it stops.

On mine it is as you describe a horrible buzzer/whining type of noise which is loud and annoying enough to keep me below 70. I can't work out if as you say there is a buzzer fitted somewhere or if the cogs in the speedo are somehow doing it?

Anyone know for certain, mines an 88/89 Glt if that makes any difference?
Magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 19:39   #25
Fridazadilak
Low & Lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumpi View Post
Hi Dan i have exactly the same thing with mine and it happens as soon as the speedo nudges past 70mph and carries on at any speed above that, drop down below 70 and it stops.
Yay!! Someone else has this problem so I'm not going (even more) mad!!

It's definitely a buzzer isn't it. I understand some people might have a whistle or rattle but this is 100% a buzzer. It seems broken because it is quite a tired sounding 'neaaaargh' as opposed to a 'buzz'.

I experienced it again today on my way home...but the speedo had to hit 90 this time. (Obviously this was on a closed road performed under the supervision of professionals!!!!)
Fridazadilak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 20:39   #26
fidel
Comrade

After a bit of Googling, I came across this on a american volvo forum;

Vovo240 SE . Apparently made for the Swiss Army. This has an audio spped buzzer that activates at 80mph. Apparently relay number is 1308637

Hope that helps

Andy
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 21:35   #27
radiomark

If you want to flash the lights at night you can just quickly turn the rotary light switch on and off.It gives the impression of a flashing light without dazzling the person you are thanking with the stalk control.
radiomark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radiomark For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 23:18   #28
Magnumpi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridazadilak View Post
Yay!! Someone else has this problem so I'm not going (even more) mad!!

It's definitely a buzzer isn't it. I understand some people might have a whistle or rattle but this is 100% a buzzer. It seems broken because it is quite a tired sounding 'neaaaargh' as opposed to a 'buzz'.

I experienced it again today on my way home...but the speedo had to hit 90 this time. (Obviously this was on a closed road performed under the supervision of professionals!!!!)

No your aren't going mad but we might if we have to listen to it for much longer.

Yeah it is defo a buzzer/electronically made sound, although i did see somewhere about oiling the cogs on the speedo, but it's so loud i'm sure it isn't that.

As Fidel has put above, that could be worth looking into but i'd still like to know how to disable it.
Magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 09:56   #29
Duncan R

Mine sounded like a buzzer or kazoo type sound, when I read about pushing the mirror stalk upwards I didn't think for one moment it would have an effect, but it did. I could have sworn the noise was coming out of the central dash area,other people did as well. Check it out you might be surprised, as mentioned before a bead of sealant on the top edge of the screen cured it and I have had no more problems for the last 2 years
Duncan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 11:42   #30
callumk5

I always assumed the clicking noise was the small clock too, though not sure why. Mine does the same noise and frequency as others have described.

As for the buzzing behind the dash, I know exactly the noise you mean and have been trying to figure it out since our visit to Germany last year when we first heard it whilst "speed testing" on an unrestricted autobahn. The noise only occurs above 100mph (and was loud and sudden enough to frighten us all half to death!). I thought it could be;
a, air rushing in through the vent system fast enough to vibrate something and cause the noise.
b, a leak in the windscreen seal (the car had a replacement done before I bought it)
c, an actual electric buzzer fitted by safety obsessed Swedes.
I would put money on it being an air leak of some kind, even though it does sound electric because it did happen once in the uk at 'normal motorway speeds' when we were driving into strong headwinds. Either way it gives the car a bit more character, even if it is the character of a lecturing mother!