Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing engines.

Views : 4606

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2012, 11:37   #21
yragyrag90

Wow. That's mad.
That's the actual video I saw that made me want one.

Also...
Quote:
Pretty easy to do in your drive for £500-1000 presuming you have a basic tool kit and know how to use it.
I'm screwed then...

But that's great advice, and good to know that 200bhp is a stepping stone. So I could do it in phases.

Thanks so much.

What is 200bhp like?
I am absolutely useless with mechanics and all that. But you've got to start somewhere. And I've got a few years to learn until I have kids and they need me to fix things.
yragyrag90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 14:11   #22
yragyrag90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post
200ish bhp - put in 940 turbo engine, swap to 940 ECU/EZK, maybe fit 15G turbo from 850, custom downpipe, add boost gauge and wideband 02 gauge, turn up boost to something like 12-15 PSI. at this pit you're reaching 180-200BHP and are at the limit of the stock injectors. Also fit any combination of the following: Hotter cam, (V from 240 GLT is good), chips from TLOA or Fred, bigger injectors/AMM combo, free-flow exhaust, bigger intercooler. Pretty easy to do in your drive for £500-1000 presuming you have a basic tool kit and know how to use it.
Like one of these?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-940-...item4ab3be8575

Also, this is great.
Really good.
Does anyone know if there's a total broken down idiots guide, or how to... Even if someone has done a blog or any threads from Turbo bricks.
I just can't seem to work my way around turbo-bricks. And can't seem to get the search terms to throw anything up in google.

Last edited by yragyrag90; Feb 9th, 2012 at 14:44.
yragyrag90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 14:50   #23
czech240
Master Member

Smile

Yep........just like that one... If you had the space it would make sense to get a whole car...take what you need and break the rest of it for some tweaking money!...Or just jump ship into a 7/9 series like I have and save the bother! ;-)

www.rideczech.com
czech240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 15:03   #24
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yragyrag90 View Post
I just can't seem to work my way around turbo-bricks. And can't seem to get the search terms to throw anything up in google.
Join the club. If you aska question a fat American will tell you to use the search function...but its useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yragyrag90 View Post
Wow. That's mad.
That's the actual video I saw that made me want one.
Haha thats my old bus. I was running a completely stock exhaust system apart from the cherry bomb backbox. I fitted it for a bit of a laugh after a drunk man stood on my original exhaust and bent it. It sounded nice but I didnt notice any power gain. Popped really well though especially when you feathered the throttle at 2500rpm its go VRRR POP VRRR POP POP VRRR POP

It also had a k&n on which I didnt notice any power gain from either.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 19:07   #25
wooble
Stay gold baby!

That engine will do the job, but like czech240 says, the best way to go about it IMO is to buy a whole car to break. in my case, I bought a '95 940 turbo with a broken gearbox for £200 plus £80 to have it trailered to my house. I made about £250 back by breaking the car down and selling parts on here, and sold the shell for £40 to some pikeys. I kept the engine + all accessories, turbo, exhaust, ECUs, and wiring loom, at zero cost but a couple of weekends of getting dirty and several trips to the post office. Breaking a car is also a good way to get familiar with the workings of a car, as you don't have to put it all back together and if you break something it probably doesn't matter!

What does 200bhp in a 240 feel like? Truthfully I don't know, as my plans keep ballooning and I've only been employed for a few months after 18 months of unemployment, so the project's been at a standstill for nearly 2 years. I might even need to buy another engine, as the B230FT I have from the 940 has been stored with no head or sump on it in a shed that's leaked over the winter and I need to see how bad the water damage to the engine is. Next project is installing the M90 box I have into the 240, then the block will go to a machine shop to see if it can be saved and re-honed/bored as necessary.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 20:45   #26
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post

What does 200bhp in a 240 feel like?
In a 240 it feells like much more than the 240BHP is a T5.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 15:12   #27
jonah

Just to add to what wooble posted about swapping the intermediate shaft, here is a pic of the differences, unmachined 940 type at the top, 240 at the bottom.

I think the better option is getting rid of the dizzy altogether as Karl Buchka on Turbobricks now offers a wasted spark mod, so the geared shaft is not needed.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=235767

The advantages -> http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...&postcount=130

Modest goals will mean less work. The M47 gearbox won't handle big power, the M90 fitted to late model 940s is a much better and stronger box, but that introduces the issues of fabricating a gearbox mount, modifying the gear linkages and propshaft etc.
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 20:06   #28
wooble
Stay gold baby!

There may soon be a bolt in M90 solution - member silveruser on here is currently assembling for me a bolt-in M90 fitting kit, comprising of a rear mount, spacer to fit between M90 and M47 driveshaft and shortening of gear linkages. The cost is looking like about £200 for the fitting kit including postage, I bought an M90 box on ebay for £75 and the clutch will probaly cost me £100 or so. I will do a writeup when I get all the parts and fit the box.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 15:52   #29
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default More Torque please

Everyone's talking about 200+BHP in a 240; what's the easiest way of getting 160lb.ft of torque at sensible revs from a B230E? I'll trade ponies for leverage and flexibility; Sigyn says I don't need or use the gearbox, hence the question.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 22:30   #30
SUBURBAN KID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
There has never a truer word spoken hahahaha

Its a good forum with lots of advice and handy tips but it is full of fat loud mouthed Americans with a fat man complex who say "use the search" for everything you ask but the search funtion is pretty rubbish anyway

Oh and you could try and think outside the box and fit a T5 engine into a 240 but this hasnt been done in the UK as far as Im aware and Im the only person stupid enough to be attempting this so I cant guarantee itll work yet, how well itll work, how hard it is or how much it costs.
Hi
Ive not been around for a while. I might have a spare 850t5 in the summer and I have a 240 too. Is it feasable without spending too much dough?