Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should i fit non Genuine brake disc / pads?

Views : 11773

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 17:28   #21
850Chris
Premier Member

+ 1 on PAGID discs and pads from Eurocarparts (without a discount code though, boo hoo hoo).

They've been absolutely fine and have the same feel / stopping power as the old OEM ones that came off (need for replacement was due to warped disc on rear and excessive scoring on front).

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 23:26   #22
Mrs Wez

will be fitting mintex tomoz, pagid discs are cheap mintex ones!! (according to two suppliers)
Mrs Wez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 15:43   #23
mrc1501
Master Member

Looking to replace my front discs quite soon on my 02 V70 XC 2.4T AWD. I have already bought a new set of genuine Volvo pads for £25, so now need the discs and caliper springs.

In all my 10 years of Volvo V70 ownerships, I have ONLY ever had genuine Volvo brake parts.......but now with less money now to spend on my car, I need to look at equally good quality parts, for less than Volvo money.

Any suggestions or online special codes for discounts?

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 17:15   #24
RM955I
Premier Member

Opie have a 20% off sale on but it ends very soon

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ ...Ferodo seem to be their preferred brand

EBC are worth a look too.

As said, be careful who you buy from. Ebay is awash with fakes - I wouldn't buy anything from eBay unless the supplier was an established business first, with an Ebay shop second : never an eBay only presence.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 18:04   #25
itguy

I've just fitted Mintex discs, pads and shoes (handbrake) on the rear of my t5 and they seem just fine. About £90 all in delivered.

Must do the front sometime soon !!
itguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 19:48   #26
mrc1501
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy View Post
I've just fitted Mintex discs, pads and shoes (handbrake) on the rear of my t5 and they seem just fine. About £90 all in delivered.

Must do the front sometime soon !!
I'm doing mine the opposite to you.....fronts first then rears. Will you buy the same make for your fronts. Any linky to where you bought these parts from.

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 21:14   #27
Longhouse21
Master Member

I used genuine Volvo rotors and pads (with a 25% discount from the local dealer) but used Pagid handbrake shoes. I priced up the Pagid equivilent but the rotors form ECP don't come with the calliper bracket retaining bolts (should be replaced when you replace the rotors as the calliper bracket has to come off). I found that the dealer doesn't stock these bolts and they were on 3 - 4 days lead. The additional cost meant that the cost difference was minimal and the dealer stocked the brake parts (except for calliper bolts, handbrake shoe retaining & return springs).

I must admit, it raised the question in my mind as to how the dealer checks the handbrake shoes in a normal service if they don't replace the bolts as recommended?

Bought an additional new set so that I can check the shoes in the future.

Steve
Longhouse21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 22:05   #28
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
I used genuine Volvo rotors and pads (with a 25% discount from the local dealer) but used Pagid handbrake shoes. I priced up the Pagid equivilent but the rotors form ECP don't come with the calliper bracket retaining bolts (should be replaced when you replace the rotors as the calliper bracket has to come off). I found that the dealer doesn't stock these bolts and they were on 3 - 4 days lead. The additional cost meant that the cost difference was minimal and the dealer stocked the brake parts (except for calliper bolts, handbrake shoe retaining & return springs).

I must admit, it raised the question in my mind as to how the dealer checks the handbrake shoes in a normal service if they don't replace the bolts as recommended?

Bought an additional new set so that I can check the shoes in the future.

Steve
I don't think handbrake shoes are supposed to be checked in routine service in these cars.

Some dealers recommend that the shoes are replaced regardless of condition, when the discs are replaced, which might be every other time new pads are fitted.

The problem is they don't wear down, but they may spontaneously delaminate, wrecking the hub. My own view woud be, given the unpredictability of failure, and fairly catastrophic consequences, if I took the trouble of removing the disk to check them, I'd want to replace them regardless.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 22:32   #29
Longhouse21
Master Member

Bill 56, for the cost of a set of shoes I'd happily agree with your last paragraph comments.

However, as you say with the shoes not really expected to wear and with rear discs lasting well over 100k miles and the well known and documented problems, I'm still surprised that the dealers don't recommend the check or just carry checks out as routine.

In my service history, the bills have never shown a charge for the bolts so indcate a check has never been made until I replaced the discs as a matter of course (not worn or scored) due to problems with a sticking calliper around 100k miles.

Steve
Longhouse21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 22:43   #30
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
Bill 56, for the cost of a set of shoes I'd happily agree with your last paragraph comments.

However, as you say with the shoes not really expected to wear and with rear discs lasting well over 100k miles and the well known and documented problems, I'm still surprised that the dealers don't recommend the check or just carry checks out as routine.

In my service history, the bills have never shown a charge for the bolts so indcate a check has never been made until I replaced the discs as a matter of course (not worn or scored) due to problems with a sticking calliper around 100k miles.

Steve
Totally agree, the 'change with discs' protocol seems to depend on the whim of the dealers. And even then, that would often be past 100k miles and perhaps too late. Not satisfactory really, but not sure what the answer is, and not sure why Volvo aren't more scared of the publicity should it ever cause a famous accident.

As an aside, I'm somewhat suspicious as to the attitudes, and conscientiousness within the motor trade to single-use bolts. In fact I started a thread in the 'general' area earlier tonight, but nobody has yet taken the bait.

http://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=163439

I'm not sure the caliper bolts are 'stretch' or if there's some other reason that they're single-use. Either way, I wonder how strictly it is observed, even by dealers?
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote