Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

failing to start

Views : 4278

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2012, 09:47   #21
940_Turbo

I doubt it's the head gasket, unheard of pretty much on a B18/20
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 13:42   #22
woodman
Master Member

I know this sounds simplistic, but have you tried leaning on the choke cable while you fire the engine? My Amo has a single Stromberg, and despite many attempts to adjust the choke linkage correctly, I've found that if I physically hold the choke out when I go for the first turn of the engine, and with no throttle, it'll fire pretty much first time. If I don't hold onto the choke knob, it creeps back in, loses the full-whack enrichment and is then reluctant to fire.

You also need the points and timing to be set up well.

I doubt the head gasket being the culprit - these engines will start and run when they're virtually shot to bits, so long as there's fuel, air and electricity going in in roughly the right combinations.

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 16:25   #23
superspod

so still waiting for teh battery charge however took off the top of the rocker cover and "mayonaise" everywhere. i changed the oil about 4 months ago and have done less than 30 miles which is worrying. i intend on changing the oil once it has been recharged so i can see the extent of the damage as well as see if new oil helps. i alos will try and get a new rocker cover gasket to see if thats the culprit. although it looked as though most of it was coming from the pipe attached to the manifold. when i took off the rocker cover the screws were all very loose with only 2 having washers and the gasket was a synthetic one from IPD which looked quite old and frayed. was unable to try any ignition things, however i will also now try and persuade my mum to get me a compression test kit.
thanks again for all the help,
cameron
superspod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 18:57   #24
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Dear Santa...

Again, rather than fancy stuff like a compression tester get Mum to buy a new thermostat and gasket from Brookhouse (maybe an 82 degree one).
To test compression you could just turn the engine over by hand (ignition off!). You should be able to feel each cylinder resisting you as it gets up to TDC. If it does, you have compression, it it doesn't, you don't.
Also there's take the plugs out and the stick your thumb over a plug hole while Mum turns the engine over on the starter (or vice versa). You should be able to notice a difference if one cylinder is low.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 04:31   #25
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

I'm reading this and smiling - so much information from guys who have the hands-on knowledge.

My two-bits are not to panic and just get 'er running. I'm guessing you just over-choked it, maybe things are a bit wet, that kind of thing.

"these engines will start and run when they're virtually shot to bits, so long as there's fuel, air and electricity going in in roughly the right combinations." Priceless.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 11:41   #26
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Sometimes you just need patience. Plenty more of these on YT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C0JaratRuY
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 11:54   #27
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hahah, I stopped watching it after awhile, but did you notice he was pumping the gas?? Might have started sooner.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 16:34   #28
superspod

thank you guys soooo much, charged up the battery and without the choke it wasnt starting, so i tried it with the choke off and it started after a while albeit the engine shaking a lot idling. what i noticed was how the radiator started warming up almost immediately- i think it might be the thermostat letting the cold coolant in almost immediately, so new thermostat is on the way. once it was warm it ran perfectly normal. i have got in contact with a local mechanic who can come round and do a hydrocarbon test with the radiator fluid an also hopefully have a look at what else it may be. it should be noted that when i first turned it on it seemed irregular.
thank you so much,
cameron
superspod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 18:23   #29
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Recheck that you have the plug leads in their correct positions. 1-3-4-2 anti clockwise, with #1 lead on the dizzy at about 11 o'clock.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 18:27   #30
kishor kassie

Default Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspod View Post
thank you, its a stromberg, and there is a noticeable change in sound with choke on when it starts so it is definitely working. the one issue is that the battery is now flat from my attempts so will have to wait for the trickle charger to arrive on monday. slightly annoying since i have had no problems until it went to the MOT, however i doubt they fiddled with the engine. it doesnt help that i have relatively no experience on cars but thanks for all the quick replys.
cameron
Hi Cameron

I am happy to come and get your Volvo started. Give me your address and number, can come over on Saturday. Ta Kassie 07828879494
kishor kassie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kishor kassie For This Useful Post:

Tags
cold, help pease, newbie, starting