Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V8 conversion for 740 ?

Views : 7143

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2011, 06:31   #21
popuptoaster
Master Member

I love V8's, i have had plenty of cars with them in, and fitted them into things they should never have been in, but more than V8's I love CHEAP power.

Work out your pound note per BHP and see whats best for you if thats the way your going, you also need to be realistic about how much power you are going to want eventually, theres no point spending a lot of money fitting a motor with 900bhp potential if you never want that much power and a cheaper one that will give you 300 and would have done the trick.

Dont forget its not just the engine either, add to much extra oomph and you'll need better brakes, a stronger axle, and should you go mad even extra strength in the shell to cope.

Have you ever driven anything with lots of extra power? I had a 220bhp mk5 Cortina and it was massive amounts of fun, but most of the power was pretty much unusable if the road was damp it would spin the rear wheels and go sideways at 70mph in third gear under fairly mild acceleration, adding to much extra can actually slow you down in a lot of situations on the roads, especially if you load up the front of the car with an extra heavy engine, its like trying to drive a hammer. :S.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 10:55   #22
karlos_uk
Master Member

well you can leave the loom from the volvo as is and have tonnes of wires that are un necessary all hanging about or you can do what i done and strip the looms down and remove all of the stuff that wasnt needed so its nice and tidy
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:19   #23
2.4TSE
Master Member

Default Newman's Own

It's a 960 but it does have 740 front springs!

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publi...rinter_33.html

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:44   #24
oman5

I have looked at this swap too, the only thing that would concern me using one of the US kits is that would there still be room to clear the RHD steering column?

another option of course is to build a 16v/turbo hybrid. these can generate stupendous amounts of power, like upwards of 400bhp.
There is a firm in Australia that sells top mounted turbo manifolds to fit the 16v lump and still clear the column, but on top of that you need to machine valve cutouts into turbo pistons for the compression ratio. a lot of work...
oman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 14:10   #25
popuptoaster
Master Member

manifolds are not difficult to make, any competant engineering company can laser cut you a plate that will bolt to the enge and one to bolt to the turbo, then you just buy a load of bends to cut and weld up so they join the two together
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 18:40   #26
karlos_uk
Master Member

crazy had the idea and ive followed it through where the manifolds off a p38 range rover will go on the opposite way to convention. they point forward so that there is a gap big enough to follow the bend downwards and back tojoin a y piece on the drivers side (originally the cat position).

i will update my build thread soon to show it

that is, of course, if you choose an RV8. so many people dont.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 19:09   #27
LankyTim
Missing the point

What is the gearing like if you keep a stock 2 litre rear axle if you use a RV8 and an SD1 LT77 gearbox? (It is the LT77, isnt it?) Is the engine doing 7000RPM at 60mph?
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 19:11   #28
karlos_uk
Master Member

i have noidea at the moment. im sure the figures worked out that it was 3000 at 70. its supposed to have the locker in it and havent investigated any further yet.

if it does go a little pear shaped, i shall be swapping a lucky individual a locker for a normal diff

edit: the lt77 has apparently similar ratios as an m90

SD1 - http://www.roversd1.co.uk/tech_data3.htm

M90 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_M90_transmission

Last edited by karlos_uk; Jul 13th, 2011 at 19:18.
karlos_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 19:52   #29
Ricky360

that speedswede Paul Newman link is amazing...Im surprised that Converse dont use that more as an ad..well if it was good enough for Newman...but i dont have a private plane to fly my technician in for minor adjustments!..(nor the dosh to have it all bespoke built for me thankyou very much...)
Speaking to Ross Converse earlier in the week he did say the only potential prob he could see was the right hand drive steering column and the headers..

Speaking of power and handling/rear wheel spin, agree that you can have too much power dependant on the car(some might disagree) ..I had a TVR Chimaera 4 litre years ago and after Tornado chip etc it was just right..whereas I found the Griffith 5.0 quite twitchy at the rear..but would still love to have either one again though!

Id be happy with a max 250-300 BHP and torque..and you get that nice lazy non-revvy power with a V8.
Ricky360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 20:14   #30
LankyTim
Missing the point

I think the torque is what its all about. A nice lazy V8, all that wafting about...lovely!

Anyone know to a good rover SD1 engine and box??
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LankyTim For This Useful Post: