Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Persuade me to get an XC90

Views : 3667

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 10:09   #21
Dutchbird

-D5 described as "quiet and powerful"- Quote

Would be interesting to know which model was used for their test. Was it the Momentum model on 19" wheels and which tyres were used or the Inscription model on the 20" wheels fitted with the Continental tyres also the test cars were fitted with air suspension .

However the main factor in getting a fair result is, where were the test held? Are we still using the test results from february this year in Spain or are these recent test results and were held on the various UK road surfaces ? Volvo UK uses the V40 R-design in their advertising to highlight that ,"the UK roads are different to the Swedish roads are they have tested and tuned the suspension here in the UK for the UK V40 R-designs cars". Therefore Volvo know that there is a problem with the UK roads and should have tuned the XC90 suspension and tyres to the UK roads as well.

The tyre/ road noise is still there on our Inscription model although we have followed Volvo UK's recommendation to reduce the tyre pressure to front 2.4 bar and the rear to 2.2 bar but this has made little difference. Our main worry is know what effect the reduced tyre pressures will have on the wear of the tyres and the brakining distances. We ask Volvo UK for a written statement to reduce the pressure this should we be involved in an accident the reduced tyre pressure will not invalidate our Insurance.

MY16 XC90 D5 P* Inscription debadged &. MY15 S60 D4 P* SE Lux Geartronic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.9 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Dutchbird; Jan 3rd, 2016 at 12:09.
Dutchbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 11:12   #22
peterg1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sberglager View Post
Awarded 1st place in Sunday Times Top 100 cars for 2016, Large 4x4 SUV category.

D5 described as "quiet and powerful"

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...c8c23b0685f676
And the L405 Range Rover (my current car) comes third...mmmmm, should i change to an XC90!
peterg1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 02:25   #23
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
And the L405 Range Rover (my current car) comes third...mmmmm, should i change to an XC90!
Not if you are happy with it. Never take any notice of the papers. If it is working for you stick with it. Cars are like shoes if you have a pair that fit you well wear them till they are worn out in your eyes.
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 02:40   #24
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
But how does one define "refinement and smoothness?

Back in the day, some considered the volvo 244D quite "smooth". By the late 80s it sounded like a tractor.

Engine management systems will continue to evolve and improve and the "refinement and smoothness( however one defines that) will get better and better from small cylinder engines.

If I had said to you that mobile phones would have quad core processors 15 years ago, you would have said "not in my life time!

Volvo have got is absolutely right.Sit back and watch how everyone else imitates them in the next 3-5 years.
Were there any 244D cars sold in the UK in the eighties? I thought Volvo never actually produced any due to being unable to meet the emission regulations in the USA.

The 940 TD was the diesel car that really sold in any numbers for Volvo. Did sound like a tractor on the outside, was quiet enough inside though. Capable of star ship mileages as well.
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 15:19   #25
yeoman
Master Member

[QUOTE..

I am not so sure. Interestingly enough, Audi A6 3.0 achieves very near official mpg to their 2.0 litres ( in same configuration front wheel or Quattro)

Real life mpg is near identical

Small engine has been favoured by eu stupid test because acceleration is not slow so small engine can do it unstressed. In real life, this small engine are overworked and does not achieve great results.

Once real test I put in place, the incentive to downsize will not be a strNot

From the audi forum

I traded in our 08 q7 for the 16' xc90. Was wanting a q7, but wanted the tdi engine. With the wait, we opted for the Xc.

The Xc is a great driving suv, seats are very comfortable. The ride is almost identical to the q7. At times I don't even realize it's a completely different car.

Having 3 kids and 1 on the way I need a 7 seater. The integrated booster was a huge plus. Inside is very roomy, yet the exterior kseems slimmed down.

There are a few quirks I stil have about the Xc, hopefully they get fixed in a software release. All hardware is fine on the car.

The power of the 4cyl is very impressive, the acceleration is very smooth and is up to par with how our old q7 4.2 felt. Can't wait till Polestar is available in the us.

Happy with the decision, been getting about 20mpg in it.

Last edited by yeoman; Jan 8th, 2016 at 15:24.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yeoman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 18:02   #26
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
[QUOTE..

I am not so sure. Interestingly enough, Audi A6 3.0 achieves very near official mpg to their 2.0 litres ( in same configuration front wheel or Quattro)

Real life mpg is near identical

Small engine has been favoured by eu stupid test because acceleration is not slow so small engine can do it unstressed. In real life, this small engine are overworked and does not achieve great results.

Once real test I put in place, the incentive to downsize will not be a strNot

From the audi forum

I traded in our 08 q7 for the 16' xc90. Was wanting a q7, but wanted the tdi engine. With the wait, we opted for the Xc.

The Xc is a great driving suv, seats are very comfortable. The ride is almost identical to the q7. At times I don't even realize it's a completely different car.

Having 3 kids and 1 on the way I need a 7 seater. The integrated booster was a huge plus. Inside is very roomy, yet the exterior kseems slimmed down.

There are a few quirks I stil have about the Xc, hopefully they get fixed in a software release. All hardware is fine on the car.

The power of the 4cyl is very impressive, the acceleration is very smooth and is up to par with how our old q7 4.2 felt. Can't wait till Polestar is available in the us.

Happy with the decision, been getting about 20mpg in it.
Any idea what engine? T6 or D5?
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 22:27   #27
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Any idea what engine? T6 or D5?
Pretty sure it was a T6
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 07:58   #28
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Pretty sure it was a T6
So if we dont plug in and dont drive much around town to benefit from the regen braking then 20mpg is what we have got to look forward to from our T8's then? I must get that charger sorted at work........
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 11:12   #29
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
So if we dont plug in and dont drive much around town to benefit from the regen braking then 20mpg is what we have got to look forward to from our T8's then? I must get that charger sorted at work........
I have test driven both the T6 and D5 in real world conditions.
In the D5 I got an average of 34mpg and in the T6 about 27mpg