Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Updating XC90 Navigation: technical info about map discs

Views : 6908

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2018, 22:38   #21
bertrandls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
no way , it is an integral part of the cars information system and a huge block of files . The dealer will load it and take all the risks ( there are some ) for a reasonable price .
Really risky you think? Without knowing the risk one (I) would think it's a ripoff if it only consists in inserting a usb key... you know what I mean...
But if it's more than that well ok... Can you give me more details about that or... Thanks for your post.
bertrandls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 05:52   #22
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandls View Post
I have a 2012 Volvo XC60 and prior to upgrading the map (downloaded on the Volvo site) I need to perform a soft upgrade (so called Total Software Upgrade). That should normally be done at the dealer...
Is there any way I could get my hands on that software and load it myself?
Thanks.
Yes: Become an authorised Volvo dealer.

Honestly, the process and tools today is quite sophisticated.
You need the workshop equipment, the licences to connect to the factory servers and download the new software, the training, the experience, the spare parts when things go wrong, the connection to the technical help desk to help you when it simply doesn't "work", etc ect etc.
Car Manufacturers do not want Joe Public to do this stuff in his garage at night, with unknown equipment, no spares or experience, and a dodgy internet connection.

When everything goes well, it is straightforward.

But ask any authorised car dealer and they will tell you many war stories of what happens when reflashing goes wrong - and how many modules that had to replace with new ones because the module wouldn't restart after a reflash...
That's when the annual authorised dealer licence fee is worth it's weight in gold.

A car is not an iPhone....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 06:06   #23
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Really risky you think? Without knowing the risk one (I) would think it's a ripoff if it only consists in inserting a usb key... you know what I mean...
But if it's more than that well ok... Can you give me more details about that or... Thanks for your post.
Here are the risks:

You have to reflash something like 100 control units in the XC60, dumping many many 10s of gigabytes of data into the car over (sometimes) so many hours that you run it overnight.

If you have a power cut, a power surge, your car charger fails, an internet overload, an internet failure, a person tripping over a cable, the laptop crashing, or anything which might interrupt the download and reflash process, then the reflash can fail.
And on some control units a failed reflash cannot be recovered in the field: the only option is to fit a new control unit at a large cost.

But before you fit the new control unit, you call national technical support and try and work through it with them.
If they cannot solve it they call Sweden and go through it with the factory.
And then you start over again...

In my life I have experienced many failures at various stages, mostly benign, but they can and do happen. Here's some examples of what I have personally experienced:
  • Loss of one phase of the local 3-phase power supply, dropping mains voltage from 240 to 170V. Everything struggled to run
  • Internet sudden fail
  • Router sudden fail
  • Static discharge causing sudden device fail - scary!
  • Laptop crash during reflash
  • Bad intermitten cable breaks taking a long time to find
  • Device died after reflash, taking days of work to recover it

Yes, many many risks are involved, and you absolutely DO need the support systems in place to help you when it all goes belly up.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 06:48   #24
bertrandls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Here are the risks:

You have to reflash something like 100 control units in the XC60, dumping many many 10s of gigabytes of data into the car over (sometimes) so many hours that you run it overnight.

If you have a power cut, a power surge, your car charger fails, an internet overload, an internet failure, a person tripping over a cable, the laptop crashing, or anything which might interrupt the download and reflash process, then the reflash can fail.
And on some control units a failed reflash cannot be recovered in the field: the only option is to fit a new control unit at a large cost.

But before you fit the new control unit, you call national technical support and try and work through it with them.

In my life I have experienced many failures at various stages, mostly benign, but they can and do happen. Here's some examples of what I have personally experienced:
  • Loss of one phase of the local 3-phase power supply, dropping mains voltage from 240 to 170V. Everything struggled to run
  • Internet sudden fail
  • Router sudden fail

Yes, many many risks are involved, and you absolutely DO need the support systems in place to help you when it all goes belly up.
Ok I understand. Big risks. And impossible to repair myself and I would end up with a “dead” car. Thank you.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 06:49   #25
bertrandls

Quote:
Here are the risks:

• Internet sudden fail
  • Router sudden fail

Are you a mechanic yourself? Do you work at a Volvo dealer?
Because I could have other questions...
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 17:48   #26
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Are you a mechanic yourself? Do you work at a Volvo dealer?
Because I could have other questions...
I'm an radio (electronics) technician by qualification, and worked on a huge varied range of electronic equipment, from deep sea shipping high powered SSB radios to police motorbikes and public transport and satellite navigation systems (pre-GPS days through the start of GPS) and satellite communications systems and TV transmission systems over fibre and many many other things inbetween, including providing on-site tech support at 2 x Olympic Games.
I've repaired automotive control units at the component level, including fixing Mercedes Benz engine ECUs and replacing dead flash memory in BMWs and extracting the data from the old faulty flash to store into the new flash.
I've written my own software to reprogram vehicles myself, and am currently working on a microcontroller for my XC90 to add some new functions to it, all software based.
I've been doing this stuff for over 30 years now.

But I don't bother with oil changes, I pay a mechanic so that he can get his hands dirty, not me...

But I understand vehicle problem solving, the electronic systems, and the complexities of them, and the logistics operations around managing spare parts for 20 years after production has stopped....

And today my day job is with a big Internet company, everything is software based... no more screwdrivers or test instruments... I used to love using oscilloscopes and spectrum analysers and all the really cool expensive test gear back then.... long live Tektronics....
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 18:25   #27
bertrandls

Quote:
I'm an radio (electronics) technician by qualification, and worked on a huge varied range of electronic equipment, from deep sea shipping high powered SSB radios to police motorbikes and public transport and satellite navigation systems (pre-GPS days through the start of GPS) and satellite communications systems and TV transmission systems over fibre and many many other things inbetween, including providing on-site tech support at 2 x Olympic Games.
I've repaired automotive control units at the component level, including fixing Mercedes Benz engine ECUs and replacing dead flash memory in BMWs and extracting the data from the old faulty flash to store into the new flash.
I've written my own software to reprogram vehicles myself, and am currently working on a microcontroller for my XC90 to add some new functions to it, all software based.
I've been doing this stuff for over 30 years now.

But I don't bother with oil changes, I pay a mechanic so that he can get his hands dirty, not me...

But I understand vehicle problem solving, the electronic systems, and the complexities of them, and the logistics operations around managing spare parts for 20 years after production has stopped....

And today my day job is with a big Internet company, everything is software based... no more screwdrivers or test instruments... I used to love using oscilloscopes and spectrum analysers and all the really cool expensive test gear back then.... long live Tektronics....
impressive!!! Are you interested in buying a Tesla after this car? It could be logical for you and your background...
The Following User Says Thank You to bertrandls For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 18:44   #28
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
impressive!!! Are you interested in buying a Tesla after this car? It could be logical for you and your background...
Teslas are too expensive at the moment. And I like something I can work on.
The BMW was great - easy databus, easy to understand. Fantastic car.
The Volvo is already a level more dificult with their stupid dynamic addressing changing every MY.
The Tesla is a bit scary with high voltage in places... and massive repair costs when batteries die...
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 18:50   #29
bertrandls

Quote:
Teslas are too expensive at the moment. And I like something I can work on.
The BMW was great - easy databus, easy to understand. Fantastic car.
The Volvo is already a level more dificult with their stupid dynamic addressing changing every MY.
The Tesla is a bit scary with high voltage in places... and massive repair costs when batteries die...
Do you think nitrogen is more the solution rather than batteries? Do you think it's safer? (Where are you in Switzerland I've been working near Geneva).
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 19:26   #30
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Do you think nitrogen is more the solution rather than batteries? Do you think it's safer? (Where are you in Switzerland I've been working near Geneva).
I think batteries are the way to go simply based on the refueling infrastructure - it already exists everywhere, whereas refuelling nitrogen is a different story.

I'm north of Zürich and south of Konstanz

Are you at CERN? (Make me jealous...)

Tags
mmm+, navigation, rti, update