Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What oil?

Views : 6675

Replies : 98

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 13:11   #21
chow

i dont agree with amsoil here, his gloomy prediction that your engine will have "significant wear" (because i assume its age) is imho boloxs, sorry, i will amend that, unduly pessimistic shall we say, ive worked on numerous examples of these engines and have never found any significant wear in any of them, even after considerable mileage, its amazing how durable they are, my own t5 still had the honing marks on the bores after nearly 200k miles and found no wear whatsoever to the crank, cams, etc, the big end shells were showing slight wear but that was very slight, so i would use whatever the manual says, im sure a good quality 5 -40 or 10 -40 mineral oil will be just fine, you can of course go down the synthetic route if you wish but in your case the benifits i think would be marginal if any apart from the longer service interval

Last edited by chow; Sep 24th, 2006 at 13:16.

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 15:28   #22
amsoil

Dear Chow we meet again! Do read my post properly before jumping in with 2 feet. You even finally recommend the same as me but are rude without reasoned arguments.
A small amount of wear at the bearings will make a significant difference to the quantity of oil that passes, please do the maths. What I recommended and you agree with is nothing more than what the manufacturer recommends. I would not however recommend the thinner alternative, a 30 grade, especially in a mineral form as the thinner oil will flow faster through a larger clearance which could lead to a pressure drop and ultimately a bearing failure as a result. If you have a reasoned argument then please post it as I and no doubt most of the forum members are always ready to learn something new.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 16:48   #23
chow

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsoil View Post
Dear Chow we meet again! Do read my post properly before jumping in with 2 feet. You even finally recommend the same as me but are rude without reasoned arguments.
A small amount of wear at the bearings will make a significant difference to the quantity of oil that passes, please do the maths. What I recommended and you agree with is nothing more than what the manufacturer recommends. I would not however recommend the thinner alternative, a 30 grade, especially in a mineral form as the thinner oil will flow faster through a larger clearance which could lead to a pressure drop and ultimately a bearing failure as a result. If you have a reasoned argument then please post it as I and no doubt most of the forum members are always ready to learn something new.
sorry, you claimed that his engine would have "significant wear" your words not mine which if you knew anything about these engines you would know is a rather stupid assumption to make, and if you really think that a couple of tenths of a thou wear on a main or big end shell is going to lead to engine failure due to low oil presure your talking even more garbage im afaid, for an engine to lose that amount of oil pressure due to bearing wear would mean the bearing was totally knackered and would be knocking its head of, you know and i know that given that this engine is more than likely in good order the oil recomeded by volvo will be more than adequate and there is no need whatsoever to use anything else

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 17:50   #24
amsoil

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow View Post
sorry, you claimed that his engine would have "significant wear" your words not mine which if you knew anything about these engines you would know is a rather stupid assumption to make, and if you really think that a couple of tenths of a thou wear on a main or big end shell is going to lead to engine failure due to low oil presure your talking even more garbage im afaid, for an engine to lose that amount of oil pressure due to bearing wear would mean the bearing was totally knackered and would be knocking its head of, you know and i know that given that this engine is more than likely in good order the oil recomeded by volvo will be more than adequate and there is no need whatsoever to use anything else
My dear Chow, As an oil importer and retailer to the trade and private individuals for land sea and air, I will still admit that there can be gaps in my knowledge particularly as I don't believe that anyone can know it all. I do however also build engines albeit mainly for racing and even Le mans and as such have , I think, grasped the concept of oil circulation together with its cooling and lubricating qualities. I don't however claim to know it all.
Having put forward, I believe, a reasoned explanation of why the thicker 40 grade option of oil should be used over the 30 grade I thought that most people could have understood and appreciated what I was getting at.
There has never been any suggestion that Phil45 has a knackered engine (your words) but it is reasonable to assume that it has run on mineral oil and done more than 4k or so between services. It is also reasonable to assume that not only have you not done the calculations but that as good as Volvos are they use the bearings generally available and clearances generally used given the bearing selection and the oil that can be expected to be used. Reasonable wear is acceptable and to be expected and at 140K it is reasonable to expect that what wear there is would steer someone towards a 40grade rather than the 30.
I would expect you to respond but wont expect any reasoned arguments about whatever you are going on about. Without such reasoned arguments I see no reason to reply to what I fear will be impolite and unreasoned. Enough said
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 18:43   #25
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsoil View Post
I would expect you to respond but wont expect any reasoned arguments about whatever you are going on about. Without such reasoned arguments I see no reason to reply to what I fear will be impolite and unreasoned. Enough said
I wouldn't go holding your breath waiting for a reasoned and polite reply from chow.
They are few and far between... Unfortunately...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:16   #26
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil45 View Post
Please has anyone got any recomendations on which engine oil I should use for my 850 glt 2.5 engine?

the owners manual seems to point to SAE 5W/40

Make and grade if possible please

Many Thanks

Phil
imo a mineral multigrade 10/40 would be fine for use in this country...and on your motor..
i would only consider semi or fully synth on a turbo charged engine ....which i have.....
cheers
jod
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:14   #27
chow

stop waffling amsoil, whats all this about "reasoned argument" for a 40 oil????? no one apart from you ever mentioned using a 30 oil! everyone (including myself advised a 40 weight oil) you brought a 30 oil up in your daft attempt to justify your comments about "significant wear" having occured(which suddenly became reasoable wear after i raised the point!) due to his engine having we presume covered a fair few miles, which if he used a 30 oil (which he never mentioned nor did anyone else!) then bearing failure could occur due to low oil pressure, what complete nonsense, for a engine to suffer serious oil pressure loss due to worn mains /big ends would only happen if the shells/journals were very badly worn in which case that knocking from the crank area might give it away, considering that your a "racing engine builder" you seem to have a sketchy knowledge of these issues, sorry mate your on here for one reason only to push your synthetic oil business

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:30   #28
Pete_L

Going off subject just slightly, with apologies for breaking into the ongoing argument, I bought the car after it had been serviced so have no idea what oil they used. Would it matter if I topped up with mineral 10/40 whether or not the car contained semi or synthetic oil? In other words, does it do any harm to mix?

Cheers all

Pete
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 16:08   #29
chow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_L View Post
Going off subject just slightly, with apologies for breaking into the ongoing argument, I bought the car after it had been serviced so have no idea what oil they used. Would it matter if I topped up with mineral 10/40 whether or not the car contained semi or synthetic oil? In other words, does it do any harm to mix?

Cheers all

Pete
hi, yes synthetic and mineral oils are compatable

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 17:17   #30
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow View Post
hi, yes synthetic and mineral oils are compatable
sure but you would not think so to here some of the tattle on here...
cheers
jod
Closed Thread