Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Service Scam?

Views : 6478

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 22:05   #21
iGGy

Is the concept of keeping known service parts in stock completely out of the window these days?

Reminds me of that thread from the States where 'young Chad' (for want of a better US name) decided to road test the M3 and wrote it off 300 yards down the road. In that case there was no need for a road test...also the Porsche owner finding McDonalds wrappers in the car...the guy that actually blocked his own car in a supermarket carpark when he spotted it there and then phoned the service manager asking if he new where his service guy was? No idea, let me tell you where he is...and the list goes on. Seems to be quite difficult to trust the larger dealers when it comes to respecting your property.
iGGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 22:06   #22
DeejayP999

The garage are having you on. Obviously, when you take a car for a service there is an implied consent for the garage to carry out reasonable road testing but someone has quite obviously used the car for their own purposes, and technically it is twoc' ing.

The Theft Act says:

"A person shall be guilty of an offence if, without having the consent of the owner... he takes any conveyance for his own or another's use...".

Clearly you haven't consented to them driving your car 125 miles.

However, whether the police would be able to act is another matter: The problem being that the garage are bound to claim that the speedo's defective etc etc which, legally, muddies the water somewhat (and makes it, arguably, a civil dispute). There's also the practical difficulty in establishing who, exactly, drove the car.

However, it does give you a bit more leverage when asking for compensation (or at least the cost of the petrol that they've used).

All in all, not a very satisfactory situation really.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 22:59   #23
T5JAS
Gorgeous Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandquick View Post
Following that line, would unauthorised use in those circumstances constitute TWOC?
Any police officers like to comment on that one?
i have indeed commented on this in the thread and imho yes it would constitute twocing
jason
p.s. see my quote below
FACTORY DVD ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE.
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by T5JAS; Aug 17th, 2006 at 23:01.
T5JAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 23:01   #24
T5JAS
Gorgeous Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5JAS View Post
name and shame them on here so others can avoid them,
also as far as i would be concerned, thats t.w.o.c.ing (taking without consent,) you allow them a reasonable amount of use to road test, not 125 miles worth. use that to your advantage, tell them if you get no satisfactory explanation or recompense, you will report the matter to the police. it may not go anywhere with plod, but worth a go. then i'd go straight to trading standards, and the motor trade federation.
good luck, let us know how you get on.
jason
here's the quote i refer to
jas
FACTORY DVD ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE.
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
T5JAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 23:22   #25
bee

I can see I am going to have fun tomorrow ... first will be the contact with the community police officer, followed by the best stinky letter I've ever written (and I am a good stinky letter writer!) to the MD.

Rest assured, if I don't get a grovelling apology trading standards will be next, oh and the motor trade association as suggested, and then I will let all the local press know too. However, considering that the company does have a good local reputation - don't forget their "shark free zone" advertising quote, I should expect the MD to be mortified at my treatment, and heaven help him if he isn't!! He certainly seems to have a shark in his tank at the moment.

What fun - I'll let you know how I get on!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 23:58   #26
bigandquick
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5JAS View Post
i have indeed commented on this in the thread and imho yes it would constitute twocing
jason
p.s. see my quote below
Did you by chance read this thread out of sequence? My post was nearly four hours before yours. I've read it twice now!! Many thanks.

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 06:27   #27
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandquick View Post
Did you by chance read this thread out of sequence? My post was nearly four hours before yours. I've read it twice now!! Many thanks.
what do you mean tim,....4 hours is a quick response for a copper these days...lol
cheers
jod
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 08:46   #28
DickyB V70R

Bee, good luck with this, its been a very interesting read.
It sounds like you know what your doing...Go get um girl.

ATB, DB.
DickyB V70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 09:39   #29
bigandquick
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
what do you mean tim,....4 hours is a quick response for a copper these days...lol
cheers
jod
Actually I called them last night when a neighbour decided to throw a tantrum on his 18th and tried to smash my car windows. Luckily no damage (that I've found yet) but they did respond quickly. Can't fault them on that one.

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 14:46   #30
V70driver

It might be difficult to prove TWOC as you would have to conceed you gave the car to the garage and you would expect some mileage at the end of the day. They in turn would inexcusably protest that you didn't ask them to confine any mileage. It is what is reasonable and to some degree what is expected and 125 miles is neither. As mentioned by others you MUST put everything in writing so you have a record. As I mentioned in my previous thread, diarise everything and contact a solicitor or CAB. I to would be very interested to hear of the outcome.
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
You raise some interesting points ... particularily regarding the prospect of a speeding ticket ... in a way I hope I do get one - real proof! I think I may try telephoning the police re. the TWOC line of thought, but I suspect they may be rather busy for that sort of thing. I was told by the workshop manager that the test drive had been around 5 miles or so.

I am sure the car had been serviced during its time (you can tell with a Volvo it seems smoother etc afterwards, but maybe that's psychological!), after all it was dropped off at 8am, when I telephoned at 3pm to ask if it was ready I was told that they were still waiting for a spark plug and to come at 5pm- apparently only four spark plugs had arrived, instead of five .. which sounded suspicious to me, but another friend told me that spark plugs aren't of a universal type but vary from car to car, and they might not keep them in stock.

The top man is on holiday at the moment, but he can expect a letter to be waiting for him when he returns and perhaps a visit from Mr Policeman - if he is interested! After all, fancy filling in the arrival mileage on one form and the departure mileage on another ... made me suspicious straight away, but the explanation did seem a little plausible. Maybe I should contact Volvo UK for backup that it is impossible?!