Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Scratch Removal Guide (For the Brave)

Views : 14246

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 18:17   #21
Terminator
VOC Member

Hi Mike,

Yes, I use the 3M green foam pad with the 3M green topped bottle of compound for cutting.

3M match the colour of their applicator pads to the colour of their compounds and bottle lids!

I use their polish, 3M blue and the blue applicater pad to apply the polish immediately after applying and wiping off the cutting compound, which gives a great shine.

If you are using a rotary polisher with different applicators, you can buy the cutting and polishing compounds separately.

Ian
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 22:12   #22
Derek UK
VOC Member

Using washing up liquid is never a good idea on cars old or new as the salt in it can promote rust. Use a little car shampoo instead.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 22:52   #23
bertuk

anyone thinking of doing it but are a bit worried incase it goes wrong your welcome to practice your method out on my s40 if it works you can then do your own scratches ( and ill pat you on the back lol ) on a serious note its a very good write up and well documented
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 08:04   #24
Terminator
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Using washing up liquid is never a good idea on cars old or new as the salt in it can promote rust. Use a little car shampoo instead.
You should never wash your car with washing up liquid as it is too aggressive but a little (I mean just a drop of a mild one such as 'Fairy') with water to lubricate when wet and dry sanding or clay barring will not cause any harm as any residue will be removed during cutting and or polishing.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 16:06   #25
Volvon
Master Member

I'd advise against using power tools, buffers etc for anyone trying scratch removal for the first time. Things can go horribly wrong horribly fast and then your in a bigger mess than when you first started.

I've found just using good old elbow grease gives just as good results. But, if your going to to use buffers and the like, go and get an old car door or something from the scrappy to practice on.

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 16:11   #26
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyvää View Post
I'd advise against using power tools, buffers etc for anyone trying scratch removal for the first time. Things can go horribly wrong horribly fast and then your in a bigger mess than when you first started.

I've found just using good old elbow grease gives just as good results. But, if your going to to use buffers and the like, go and get an old car door or something from the scrappy to practice on.
brilliant advice, far easier to "oh ,,,,,,," with power tools + paintwork than you'd think.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 16:17   #27
Terminator
VOC Member

If you are thinking of going the power tool route I recommend you start with one of these as they are much more forgiving than a normal Dual Action sander / polisher:

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalo...olisher_1.html

The secret is to not apply too much pressure and as Hyvaa suggests, practice first!

Last edited by Terminator; Jul 22nd, 2010 at 16:21.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 19:00   #28
andy_d
Premier Member

you could have posted that link 3 days ago and saved my arms/shoulders ,,ive just finished applying by hand autoglym paint restorer and SRP and about to do the wax coat over the top .,,,when i get the feeling back in arms

Last edited by andy_d; Jul 22nd, 2010 at 19:03.
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 20:53   #29
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
you could have posted that link 3 days ago and saved my arms/shoulders ,,ive just finished applying by hand autoglym paint restorer and SRP and about to do the wax coat over the top .,,,when i get the feeling back in arms
Lol I've got the same problem after three days' solid garden clearance - my mother basically left her (already quite wild) garden to run riot for about 15 years and it really needs some napalm - it's as bad as that (but the neighbours...). I was worried this morning that I couldn't feel my right arm at all. A bit of digging and cutting seemed to wake it up. I reckon I'll be in decent shape for polishing away my flat looking panel on the car when I'm done. Some holiday this is...

On a more relevant note: I thought I had read somewhere that you did need power tools for this kind of stuff sometimes, since only that would generate the heat required for some kind of reaction in the paint/lacquer/polish or something to occur. Is that nonsense? For obvious reasons (£££, fear) I'd rather do it by hand if at all possible.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 21:30   #30
Terminator
VOC Member

Heat from friction is what you need to avoid as it is this which can cause you to cut through the lacquer to the colour coat. When using the rotary polisher, don't leave it one place for too long, keep it moving across the surface and don't skimp on the polish.

After some practice you will be amazed at the finish you can get!