Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Headlight Washer Pump

Views : 5091

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2020, 12:32   #21
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGee19 View Post
Sorry for the thread revival.. just got round to replacing the headlight pump with the vauxhall one..
However just discovered the one way valve is blocked... Did anyone come up with a solution to this? Can't find the part number for it either.
Go to post 8 here - there are two one way valves shown as part #24 in the diagram
( https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=268387 )
they are located just before the right angle junctions to the nozzles under the bonnet liner. If you can't pull enough of the hose through to get to the valves drop the bonnet liner....that said the quickest way to clear them is blow air through the tube before the "Y" junction which will clear muck in the valves and will oftne push it out through the nozzles NB this method risks blocking the nozzles themselves, the Y junction is part shown as #23; reverse blowing down the nozzles will not clear the system as it closes the valves even more tightly, reverse blowing the nozzles with the valves removed will usually clear muck from the nozzles when it has been forced in by the pump.

However, once the valves are removed reverse blowing will clear the slime from the primary part of the system - you can get similar one way valves online fairly easily....Halford also keep generics which I used to replace the valves in my son's MX5 they were around £1.50 or so a couple of years ago, they'll also fit under the Volvo bonnet liner without problem

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Apr 19th, 2020 at 12:41.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 14:11   #22
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

The unit I bought off ebay wasnt quite identical so had to cut off a tab with a stanley blade for the power connector to fit.

All up and running now BUT check your relay first (swap with wiper relay) as both my pump and relay were broken - yours might just be relay
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barrybritcher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 12:48   #23
MisterGee19

All sorted now thanks!.

The £16 vauxhall one just needed the tab for the plug shaving down, and the fitting on the end of the hose cutting off and replacing with a hose-clamp.

Annoyingly, now that the bumper is back on i have another issue of the coolant fan always running - which is a suspect pressure sensor for the air-con... time to take the bumper off again
MisterGee19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterGee19 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 10:32   #24
Mattye

Also sorry for the thread revival but are there one or two pumps?
My windscreen washers work fine but not the headlight washers.
Tested the relay and all is ok so I'm guessing a new pump is needed.
I'm guessing one for windscreen and one for headlights????
Mattye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 11:00   #25
Lordsummit

How strange, I’ve been pondering my headlamp washers! When I trigger the windscreen wash, the passenger side washer comes out but no water comes out, the drivers side one puts up a little struggle but doesn’t come out. I’m presuming this is indicative of poor pressure? Are the washers forced out by pressure from the pump or is there something I’m missing?
Lordsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 19:22   #26
V70greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattye View Post
Also sorry for the thread revival but are there one or two pumps?
My windscreen washers work fine but not the headlight washers.
Tested the relay and all is ok so I'm guessing a new pump is needed.
I'm guessing one for windscreen and one for headlights????
I have a 2015 V70 and there are two pumps, I just replaced my headlight one which was very cheap and simple. Not sure about the headlight pump, although on my car the headlight pump is very easily accessed remove the nearside wheel undo about 6 trox screws lift up the wheel arch liner and the head light pump is right in front of you.
V70greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 19:28   #27
V70greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordsummit View Post
How strange, I’ve been pondering my headlamp washers! When I trigger the windscreen wash, the passenger side washer comes out but no water comes out, the drivers side one puts up a little struggle but doesn’t come out. I’m presuming this is indicative of poor pressure? Are the washers forced out by pressure from the pump or is there something I’m missing?
I would guess the pump is about to fail, mine went similarly... New one is very cheap and access is from behind the fog light. My biggest struggle was removing the rubber grommet as it popped inside the screen wash container

oh and when I had finished putting it all together and saw a wire leading behind the wheel arch lining (tried unsuccessfully to get access to remove the grommet), realising I had left my work light behind the wheel arch and had to take it all apart again to remove the work light
V70greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2020, 09:11   #28
Mattye

Finally got round to starting this job.
There are indeed two pumps. One for the rear and windscreen washers and one for the headlight washers.
Headlight pump No is Valeo 89032971. Mine has a date of 01-03-06 so is original for the car.
It was front bumper off, pump came out easy enough with one electrical connector, one pipe connector and where it pushes into the washer bottle.
The pump case has split which is why it doesn't work.
Ordered a new one which get here next week.
Meantime, I'll clean out the washer bottle as its really grimy inside and the washer fluid sticks. I'll put a couple of denture cleaning tablets in there (same as I do when cleaning my hydration packs for cycling), leave them for a day and then rinse it out with the hose. A bit like a rad flush.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mattye For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 09:23   #29
Mattye

Just for future ref I've attached a pic showing the inside of the Valeo valve as well as the Volvo part if you need to replace it.
Attached Images
File Type: png V70 Washer.png (27.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpeg Valeo Valve internals.jpeg (165.5 KB, 18 views)