Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MP3/AUX/USB Input.

Views : 31687

Replies : 93

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2011, 14:31   #21
Trem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
The ebay product looks very interesting, (trem) do you think it would work with the HU850 in my S60? Not sure if it has the 8pin external changer socket as i havent had it to bits, looking on the supported list it doesnt mention the 850 The 850 has an external amp and more speakers, having .mp3 files on an SD card would be a nice easy way to go.

What comes up on the HU's display?, do you get track/filenames on there when its playing, or more like what track number or something like?
I have found an image of the back of the HU 850 and it looks the same as the back of mine (changer input/amp input) so I would hazard a guess at it being fine. Let me do a bit more research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post
You set the directory structure on your PEN/SD Card as CD01, CD02 all the way to CD10, then chuck your files in these directories, as many as you want.

You select CD01 - CD10 as the disks on your head unit. The ebay box fools the head unit in thinking these directories are the 10 CD's in the changer unit.

The head unit can not support ID tags etc.. Just standard CD format. (Track 1 etc..)
You can go right up to CD20 if you want but after CD10 the display won't show CD11 etc but it will play them, iirc after CD10 it goes back to CD01 (for CD11) etc.

Edit -

@ Thassos, Yeah they both look exactly the same on the back, that would be the only issue for the lead to connect to your HU, there will be no compatibility issues as far as the unit is concerned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 803.jpg (18.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 850.jpg (104.8 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Trem; Apr 29th, 2011 at 14:39.
Trem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trem For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 16:47   #22
Thassos
GoldMember

Arrow Thanks

Trem / Chiptivo,

Many thanks, so it basically emulates a 10disc CD changer?, what happens with the number of 'tracks' or .mp3 files in each folder=CD, is there a limit to what the HU can display/play or select, I guess the steering wheel next/prev track buttons must work as per the internal changer on the HU850 then?

On the HU850 its got buttons 1 thru 6 on the front, pic attached, wonder
if these are used for anything with the 'imaginary' +10 cd s.

Im sure someone has already asked, but how do you select the different folder (or imaginary external CD) on the HU?

Also can you use both USB drive as well as SD card at same time?, or does it allow some way to select which memory it gets its files from?

Ive also got a parrot kit i want to install, but as you say thats another can of worms!...

Sorry for all the questions !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HU850_disc6.JPG (70.6 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Thassos; Apr 29th, 2011 at 17:27. Reason: Pic added (buttons in red)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 17:02   #23
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Trem / Chiptivo,

Many thanks, so it emulates a 10disc changer in essence, what happens with the number of 'tracks' or .mp3 files in each folder, is there a limit to what the HU can display/play or select, I guess the steering wheel next/prev track buttons must work as per the internal changer on the HU850 then?

Im sure someone has already asked, but how do you select the different folder (or imaginary external CD) on the HU?

Also can you use both USB drive as well as SD card at same time, or does it allow some way to select which memory it gets its files from?

But can put hundreds of tracks in each CD0x folder.

The CD0x folders can be selected by the left hand wheel on the head unit (Marked disk select I think).

The unit picks what ever input that is in use. So, if you want to use the AUX in (Like I do with my HTC phone), I unplug the SD card or usb pen.
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chiptivo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 17:34   #24
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Did you mean right hand knob (source?)

Did you mean right hand knob (source?) left on mine is volume/power, i wonder if this uses up the 'aux' input, ive heard of some systems having a 3.5mm aux socket in the centre console, wonder if this is done the same way?
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 18:43   #25
Trem

Quote:
Trem / Chiptivo,

Many thanks, so it basically emulates a 10disc CD changer?, what happens with the number of 'tracks' or .mp3 files in each folder=CD, is there a limit to what the HU can display/play or select, I guess the steering wheel next/prev track buttons must work as per the internal changer on the HU850 then?

Also can you use both USB drive as well as SD card at same time?, or does it allow some way to select which memory it gets its files from?

Ive also got a parrot kit i want to install, but as you say thats another can of worms!...

I have a cd select knob on my stereo, it says cd 1-20, I just give that a turn and it goes through the cd's (folders). Really easy and instant.

I gave up caring about my Parrot handsfree and bought one of these instead. It really is very good indeed and the sound is excellent. The amp is the problem when it comes to handsfree kits and in the end I really cba to deal with it.

On a similar but more expensive note, Xcarlink do sell handsfree with their ICE unit. That works exactly the same way as the one I got but you have the option of connecting a lead into the unit that is handsfree. I did get one this time but sent it back because I again cba at the time

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/
Old May 5th, 2011, 17:50   #26
jumbo67

Hi all
I just ordered one of these units, $80 best offer. I'm just wondering if I need to disconnect the battery before fitting it or can I just splice in the live 12v wire and plug it into the back without disconnecting anything?

Many Thanks
David
jumbo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 20:00   #27
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo67 View Post
Hi all
I just ordered one of these units, $80 best offer. I'm just wondering if I need to disconnect the battery before fitting it or can I just splice in the live 12v wire and plug it into the back without disconnecting anything?

Many Thanks
David

Not too sure what car you have.
I did, just in case I knocked out the climate control cables (As you have to remove that unit on a S60).

Taking out the cables to the ECC, and maybe the stereo with the battery connected may cause the Airbag Warning and a trip to the dealer to reset.. at cost..
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chiptivo For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2011, 20:09   #28
jumbo67

Forgot to mention.... Its an S60..

Thanks for the info. I'll disconnect the battery as well then.
Old May 5th, 2011, 20:33   #29
Trem

It is so much easier to unplug the climate control unit so YOU MUST disconnect the battery, do not reconnect it until the climate unit is all plugged back in and fitted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trem For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2011, 20:53   #30
jumbo67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trem View Post
It is so much easier to unplug the climate control unit so YOU MUST disconnect the battery, do not reconnect it until the climate unit is all plugged back in and fitted.
Cheers.