Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Found : Black Manual 850R

Views : 4950

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 00:03   #21
dooby
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Yes she's a little tatty and could do with a good valet and a few other bits. But as a project car shes perfect.
Sorry, I may have sounded more harsh than I meant with 'very tatty' - I agree well suited to a project car. Now if only I had a bigger house/drive/garage I could tinker with these cars more myself :-)

Be very interested to hear how the manual conversion goes, something I only dream of for now.

Thanks for your thoughts on pricing, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 00:09   #22
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby View Post
Sorry, I may have sounded more harsh than I meant with 'very tatty' - I agree well suited to a project car. Now if only I had a bigger house/drive/garage I could tinker with these cars more myself :-)

Be very interested to hear how the manual conversion goes, something I only dream of for now.

Thanks for your thoughts on pricing, Pete
dont worry, i didnt take it that way.

yeah the manual conversion should be interesting as i dont believe anyone else in the uk has done it to an 850. But to help things i have another 850 t5 manual as a donor for the parts (box, wiring loom, shifter etc) to just swap from. However im still on the lookout for the grey gearknob and the wood center console.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 01:47   #23
TheG
growl, woosh!

IMO, that R looks fine to me, The interior isn't mint and neither is the exterior, but surely the important (read expensive) bits are the mechanics? My T5 looks mint when clean (inside and out) but I've spent nearly a grand getting the mechanics sound
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 05:50   #24
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpy View Post
Thanks for that. It's not my camera it's the sellers. He's a good 300 miles away so I asked for some photos first. I've read about looking for oil underneath but some posts say it's either PERFECTLY FINE or an IMPENDING DISASTER depending on where the oil is coming from.

So confusing.........Problem is I won't be able to tell if it's coming from the $£%&ing engine seals or the u-bend so I gotta take my chances.

The guy is a Volvo mechanic apparantly and says one of the members on here takes his car to him so that's got to be worth something.
why dont you ask a forum member to have a quick look for you? were is the car?
PNuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 06:44   #25
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

hi there..
those seats look very worn indeed, more than i would expect for a p-reg with 120k....
are you sure everything works...the air-con blows cold?
i would call volvo quoting the reg number to ensure it has had the 80k service and if not i would want catagoric proof the FULL 80k service was carried out before i even thought about this car...
the volans are knackered along with the discs and presumably the pads..this shows
a) the type of person who drove the car..ie cant drive as shagged the rims
b) the car has not been driven for a while as the discs are rusty...
the stickers i would not worry about, they may have fallen off or some loon may have de-badged it....
good points...
it appears to idle well judging by the rev counter....
the pedal rubbers dont appear excessivly worn
there are no dents...apparently.....
and its a R....
cheers
jod
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 07:12   #26
st5ve
S60 R

As Jod T5 has implied, the cars appearance gives an indication of how the owner looked after it, so if he has not taken care of keeping it clean what else has suffered. Offer a low price you can always go back and offer more, if you really want it.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:14   #27
Andrew Gilbert

I suppose also the seller knows you've travelled some way to view, so may be more open to negotiate the price. I doubt you'll get for £650 (lucky begger!) but its worth the try, at least if you get it for a decent figure and then pay to get any work done for you, you'll know its been done properly.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 19:55   #28
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

Yeah that's the plan. I figure if I bought the car at £3000 I would need to spend about another £1500 bare minimum bringing it up to scratch. That's assuming there's nothing wrong with it mechanically.

I've told him that if the price comes down I might still be interested but at the current £3000 i'll have to leave it.

Just out of interest, how much would it cost for me to get:

1) New set of brake discs & calipers
2) Refurb the alloys

That's the minimum amount i'd want knocked off which I think is fair. I could buy a mint 850R which has been cherished by its owner for £3000 but admittedly not in black.

HOW MUCH FOR A FULL RESPRAY!!! Might be the best way forward......

EDIT : Then i'd be taking it to the tuning place in Bromsgrove or wherever it is, for a full healthcheck and sorting out, then a few little tweaks like remap, strut brace, twin exhaust (not boy racer stylee) then once its mechanically sweet i'll stick on some 18" pegasus alloys and take it somewhere to have a full detail..........

Last edited by carpy; Jan 17th, 2007 at 19:58.
carpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 20:22   #29
dooby
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I reckon £50 per wheel for a refurb, £70 per caliper and £50 for some discs so call it £400-£500 for parts only.

Cheers, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 21:18   #30
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

IMHO take the £3k and the £1.5 and go get yourself a decent V70R, will be much better than buying a rough 850r,

Gary,