Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is there a definitive oil and flush thread - 5sp Auto???

Views : 3769

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2012, 21:21   #21
RM955I
Premier Member

I'm afraid you misunderstand.....I have ramps and if I'm not using ramps I'll jack up the vehicle and use appropriate axle stands : I'd never get under a car only supported on a jack.

I've had cars that I can work comfortably underneath for doing basics like oil and filter changes, I'm just remarking that the Volvo isn't one of them and I'm sure I read on another forum that someone had done the sump dump without the need for any ramps/axle stands.....they must be VERY thin LOL.
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 21:42   #22
PeteB1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM955I View Post
Yes - it really was easy to do.....easier than an oil and filter change TBH and there is satisfaction in knowing that whilst there's at least another couple of sump dumps to do at least the process is started and that a large portion of the dirty, black old oil has been removed. If there's one thing that I don't believe in cutting corners on it's regular oil and filter changes and that now applies to the transmission oil.
Yes, agreed, I'm performing exactly the same 3 dump/fill process on mine at just under 60k. 2 already done with about 500 miles in between, the third (& final in this round) due next weekend. With what came out of mine at 58k, the 6 speed which is defined by Volvo as 'Fill for Life', I cant see it possibly lasting for life at my accumulating mileage rate. See here for what came out next to what went in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM955I View Post
I also found out how slow slung these V70s are! I used to be able to crawl under my SAAB 95 Aero without need for a jack/axle stands or ramps...the Volvo needed a bit of jacking just to get under it.
I can just reach the drain plug on the XC, on level ground no ramps, to undo it but with the proper oil drain container in place, it's much easier to let the socket/plug combination drop into the draining oil and retrieve it later rather than trying to get it out of the way after undoing.

How much drains out on yours?

On the 6 speed, the first drain dropped 2.5l out of a total of 7l so I put exactly the same amount back in with a proper level check procedure due after the third fill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATF Compm.jpg (32.9 KB, 28 views)
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 23:12   #23
RM955I
Premier Member

Hi,

I got 3.4ltrs from mine, allowing it to drain for about 10 mins.
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 23:17   #24
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB1 View Post
With what came out of mine at 58k, the 6 speed which is defined by Volvo as 'Fill for Life',
My sig should help explain Volvo's 'warranty logic' there matey!
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 23:37   #25
PeteB1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZutek View Post
My sig should help explain Volvo's 'warranty logic' there matey!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:24   #26
hmsggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZutek View Post
You can (it's how I obtain samples for analysis, using a syringe and plastic tubing) but it won't get rid of all the crud at the bottom and the metal shavings stuck on to the magnets. If anything a pipe down there will dredge that stuff up without removing any of it.

Really a much better idea to crack the drain plug and drain that way.

Chris...
had a go at removing some oil with a small pipe from dipstick however only managed to draw about a thimble worth at least I know what the oil looks like know it looks like black coffee and smells a bit burnt thanks for advise
hmsggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:22   #27
andy_d
Premier Member

hate to be the "bad news bear" ,,if the fluid is smelling like "burnt toast" and blacker than a black thing,, its pretty close to "end of useful life"

time to pick your fav brand of jws3309 sorry to say
Old May 3rd, 2012, 13:09   #28
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Yeah simple rule the moment it smells of burnt anything it's f--ked and should be replaced immediately.

Chris...
Old May 3rd, 2012, 14:30   #29
BarryCambs

I'm in the process of changing my ATF with 3 sump dumps and for anyone else about to, this is the best 6 quid I have spent in a long time!

http://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/index.p...oducts_id=3811

Plug at the bottom is a perfect fit in the dipstick tube and the top is a measuring jug you fill, then open the tap when ready.
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryCambs For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2012, 17:05   #30
hmsggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
hate to be the "bad news bear" ,,if the fluid is smelling like "burnt toast" and blacker than a black thing,, its pretty close to "end of useful life"

time to pick your fav brand of jws3309 sorry to say
Yep already got it on order 20ltrs mobil 3309 £170 delivered probably won't need all this but want to give it a damn good clean out I am going to drain pan fill with same amount that I took out, take for a drive and repeat process until I get that lovely cherry red colour back. I am suffering from delayed pull off at the moment, and if I give it some it triggers limp mode and stays in 3rd gear until I turn engine off then back on again it resets itself I am hoping that the oil change and a counter reset will resolve the issue.
hmsggg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vaiotag