Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

185bhp or 205bhp D5

Views : 5766

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2014, 19:19   #21
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
As for the original question regarding 185 vs 205, I created this:

The blue curves are for the stock 185 D5, Orange is the 185 + polestar for 205, Purple is stock 205 twin-turbo, and red is 205 + Polestar for 225.

It's clear from that graph that although the ultimate power output of the older single-turbo engine with polestar matches that of the twin-turbo engine, the twin-turbo has a wider spread of torque, especially from low rpm, and can flow more air to keep going at higher rpm.
Just to put this thread resurrection to bed as the op I ended up getting the 215bhp D5 and its absolutely fan.....tastic !!
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 19:26   #22
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
As for the original question regarding 185 vs 205, I created this:

The blue curves are for the stock 185 D5, Orange is the 185 + polestar for 205, Purple is stock 205 twin-turbo, and red is 205 + Polestar for 225.

It's clear from that graph that although the ultimate power output of the older single-turbo engine with polestar matches that of the twin-turbo engine, the twin-turbo has a wider spread of torque, especially from low rpm, and can flow more air to keep going at higher rpm.
The torque curve on the 185 + polestar engine gives me something to look forward to. It gets to the standard engines maximum torque about 300rpm earlier and goes on to a good increase.
Thanks for the graph.
younger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 20:04   #23
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
What's with the hostility??

My Skoda had PD injectors and the Volvo is Common Rail (?)
It's my first Volvo, my first common rail diesel engine and more importantly, my first car with the dreaded DPF.
I am not on here for rows, I have a wife for that. I want to learn and contribute. Is that not what owners forums are for??

I'm a Volvo newbie, give me a break!!!
I'm not sure if I-S is being hostile but I do understand how you could feel that. As for the comment itself, I see the point. It would be like me asking if a V70 D5 was a good car o PistonHeads and then after the first negative reply, saying "well I've had one for 2 years and I think there fantastic". It would really just be baiting for a response.

Anyway back to Millers Ecomax. The Volvo D5 PDF should be good for the lifetime of the car unlike the 1.6 and 2.0 Ford PSA engines which use DPF additives. There has been threads on two stroke oil use and ash from that blocking the DPF, but I've not come across a thread about it yet. Any DPF issue I have seen has been due to constant short journeys and little motorway usage. As I said the only way of knowing for sure would be to do back to back test.

And as a personal note, when people ask questions like this and the answer is unknown, the only way to find out is for somebody to be the guinea pig and try it on their own car.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 21:47   #24
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
I'm not sure if I-S is being hostile but I do understand how you could feel that. As for the comment itself, I see the point. It would be like me asking if a V70 D5 was a good car o PistonHeads and then after the first negative reply, saying "well I've had one for 2 years and I think there fantastic". It would really just be baiting for a response.

Anyway back to Millers Ecomax. The Volvo D5 PDF should be good for the lifetime of the car unlike the 1.6 and 2.0 Ford PSA engines which use DPF additives. There has been threads on two stroke oil use and ash from that blocking the DPF, but I've not come across a thread about it yet. Any DPF issue I have seen has been due to constant short journeys and little motorway usage. As I said the only way of knowing for sure would be to do back to back test.

And as a personal note, when people ask questions like this and the answer is unknown, the only way to find out is for somebody to be the guinea pig and try it on their own car.
I am that guinea pig!!! Started using Millers yesterday. Thanks for your informative reply, I didn't know if the additive was ok with the DPF.
We will soon find out, as I drive about 8000kms a month.
younger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 22:47   #25
I-S
Premier Member

On re-reading my response did seem more hostile than it was intended, although as tt82 says, it's my reaction to seemingly ask a question to then answer it yourself. Apologies for that.

Griston- I know your question was long since resolved, but the topic of gen 2 (1500 bar injection) vs gen 3 (1800 bar) engines will be a perennial.

Based on my graphs, the gen 3 175bhp 2.4d + polestar (195 bhp) looks like it would be very satisfactory. I'll post it up sometime
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post: