Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Modern cars vs Older Cars, what do you think?

Views : 7677

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 13:29   #21
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Minor and big brothers?

Not a lot wrong with Morris Minors and the big brothers the Wolsely 1500 and Riley 1.5 - or the ZA or ZB Magnettes.

My Minor would do about 100, there were many with B series engines that would do a lot more and at least two found their way onto the track with Daimler 2.5 litre V8s and some are around today with Rover 3.5s.

I love my 7 and 9 series Volvos but they do have too many electronic gizmos that can and do go wrong, and I'd really like to try a 2 series with B23 and a Shorrock supercharger sucking through a giant SU - running 5 star leaded petrol and Mobil SHC oil for the smell!
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rogerthechorister For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 13:35   #22
andy72

I prefer brand new cars still under warranty. had them for the last few years (personal lease and company car) and they in a different league reliebilty wise.

My 2000 C70 always needs something maintaining on it, whether it be handbrake shoes falling apart, sticking calipers, ariel that wont go down fully. Nothing i cant fix myself but still a pain.

I dont have the luxury of a new car anymore though, current main car is a 5yrd old Audi A3, which last week decided to empty its entire coolant out o fthe raditor. £250 later and all fixed. Still got to get the fault codes checked for the EML thats on. (think its lambda sensor as it goe soff on a long run)
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 14:10   #23
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
and a Certain german car maker has seen to oil changes,,,
there is no sump drain plug on some of theres,,so you have to suck the oil out the dipstick tube..... what a crock that is.

for wossis chops pointing out that Certain cars in the 80s rusted faster than the warranty,, may i present to you Modern day FIAT, ford and certain french things that are described as cars,,

bro in law's father bought a brand spankin new fiat "stilo" , its not yet got to its 1st mot, but has had to have new exhaust bits under warranty, cos of rust...
bro in law sold his ,also brand new bought, stilo sub 3 years old, and despite him getting 40% off retail he took a right bath when he sold it,,during the 2 n a bit years he owned it it was back at fiat to have new clutch, new brakes (calipers) and various other Big works. and being a poxy 1.4 petrol engine, you can hardly say it was due to excessive power, or being driven hard, (he babys his cars, and doesnt put his foot down at all ever,,).

mr next door has a ford mundano estate, its only just 6 years old, he's got rusty tail gate , on the 2nd set of calipers/disks has had £1000's on/in the tractor engine (and it Still sounds like a bag of spanners in a washing machine) 3rd exhaust, and that one has been main dealer serviced from day one, either On milage or just before.
next door the other side, he has an audi a3 two door tractor, 2years newer than my volvo,, he's got more rust speckles forming than i do, and moans that the service bills are never below a grand for it @ audi,, and refuses to comment on how much his misses bwm 3 tractor costs,,,but they use the audi more despite having 3 kids and the bmw being a 4 door,,,
completely agree here - iv been on the arse end of fiat, not only are the cars crap the service group dont wanna know! stay away from glyn hopkin and desira - crooks!

my brand new delivery mileage 2006 1.9 weasel sporting grande punto in red needed:

new immobilizer - kept imobilizing me in strange places
new drivers door lock - drivers door would not open so i had to get in through pass door
3 new batteries - a drain of 3mah from somewhere, fiat could not fix this
2 new radios - cauught fire both times
2 new fuse boxes - all the fuses blew at once on both boxes
1 new rear caliper - it had snapped off and churned itself up in the alloy
1 new alloy - see previous
1 new handbrake cable - see previous
1 new alarm module - alarm kept going off..even when unlocked
1 new ECU - kept elecronically limiting me to 50mph (limp home mode) and engone would not stop, even with no ignition
8, yes you read it 8 new front offside wheel bearings -these kept going alloys where too heavy for the car apparantly...the fudge?
6 new glow plugs - would not start when new ECu was in...it fried its own glow plugs
18 traction control resets - yes traction control limiting acceleration, screwed up the clutch
3 new software upgrades - to prevent the software glitches, it didnt
1 new bluetooth unit - stopped working
2 new dashboards (because radios caught fire)
1 new clutch - see previous
1 new gearbox -which FIAT where not going to pay for under their 3rd year warranty i had to shell out for a new engine plus gearbox eqating to over £2k - i didnt pay and wrote to watchdog and my finance company stating: not fit for purpose because...

my final gripe!! that POS foam tin instead of a wheel!!! they wouldnt supply me with a spare "because the car was not made to have a spare" - **** it i'll carry it in the boot!! nob end!

i ended up buying a ford fiesta mk4 and got that running for cheaper untill my finance company got their act together and gave me a list of replacement cars to get - my current vovlo in 2009

Last edited by Anadinolin; Sep 22nd, 2011 at 14:26.
Anadinolin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anadinolin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 14:59   #24
weble

That ^^ is shocking! Although i have heard similar storys! A chap at work has a new shape punto and has had 2 sets of brake pads in 4000 miles.

We brought our "old" (1996) Civic 2 n half years ago. It had 128,000 miles on it, it now has 148,000 miles on it. We drive it hard, it's had

2 x Tyres, wear and tear
Backbox £31 from GT exhausts and a 5 min job
Brake pads (wear and tear) £30 which i also fitted my self in 20 min.
2 oil changes which i've also done my self. (3rd this weekend)

Although thinking back to the older cars, what kind of milage did they do? Pretty rare for a car of the 70's to see over 100,000 miles. Ya can buy 3 year old cars with that on now and many see over 300,000 miles. With all the progress, i think it's all relative and we aint really got anywhere lol
weble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 16:33   #25
chelle_belle
and Craig!

My mate has an 04 punto its got 50k on the clock, its now needing its 3rd gearbox, on its 3rd exhaust, also his tick-over is all over the place.
Next time your on the motorway have a look whats broken down in the hard sholder (newer cars 01 to 11 plates) does make me smile knowing my daily runner 850 is 15 year old.

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chelle_belle For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 17:23   #26
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
progress?? no not for the owner/driver , fine for the brain dead morons out there who come out with "luddite" comments , or havent a Clue other than "fuel go here"
for the makers, it has to be better to make a car that Has to be serviced at stupid costs and at Their dealers only...
That your humble opinion then? I may be a "brain dead moron" but I do know where capital letters go
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC60MY12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 17:45   #27
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Volvo

If it ain't one of the above, I wont be buying it.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 18:14   #28
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Fan View Post
That your humble opinion then? I may be a "brain dead moron" but I do know where capital letters go
and i know where your type can go,, straight onto ignore for being a fwit ,,
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 22:12   #29
andy72

If a manufacturer came to you and offered you a free brand new car in exchange for your 15 years old volvo... would you take it?

PS... if you havent owned your 15yr old volvos from new, how do you know it didnt spend most of its first few years in the dealers? I know when the C70 first came out in 98, my company had 2 as directors cars and also 6 of the S40's. They all had theire fair share of time in the dealers for warranty work. I remember once incidnet where the brakes failed while the mechanic was driving it in to the workshop to find out why the headlights bulbs went too frequently. That was a fun telephone call.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 22:53   #30
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
and i know where your type can go,, straight onto ignore for being a fwit ,,
Good. I make it a rule never to enter into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote