Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ahhh nuts. v70 diesel

Views : 1365

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 19:36   #21
BigMonty
ICE ICE BABY

I really appreciate the help guys, but this is above my skill and available tools. Called a few garages today and it is big money to get repaired.
So I am going to have to cut my losses and strip what I can and try to get some cash back. Not sure what fetches money on these apart from the luggage covers so a bit of advice in that direction would be also appreciated.
And hopefully I will be in the market for another one by the end of the month.
Definately another derv one, I am quite smitten with them. This one I have doesn't have many extras thou.
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 10:16   #22
RAW
VOC Member

It's a shame someone can't come and help you really, if happily come, but I'm in the middle of writing my dissertation at the moment and really couldn't spare any time for weeks .

Unfortunately labour costs would certainly make this an uneconomic repair, it's probably borderline diy! When the water pump (genuine, 20000 overdue) seized on ours we had to do three valves, ad I rebuilt the head myself with all new seals and tappets, in addition it then needs a headgasket, set of bolts, can belt and water pump, set of idlers and tensioners. New oil and coolant, the list goes on .

That said, in all honesty it's no more than a weekend work and if the car is otherwise straight (unlike ours) it would be a shame to scrap it. Oh well, I hope you work it out somehow and best of luck with the next one, make sure the water pump is done on schedule!

Rich

Wife’s daily. V50 1.8S

Glad to be back!
RAW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RAW For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 10:46   #23
brickman
Premier Member

As above, unlikely to get any garage to come in on a decent price as its Martin said, its two cam belts and timing of them (fuel pump belt only a handful of places will do them), the parts aren't a lot in the scheme of things but if you can't do it 100% DIY you might be struggling.

As with any used car, if the rest is in good to excellent condition its worth doing as there are a lot of cars out there that need many many little things to get them going as well as they should.

Buying another p1 TDI your in the £1200-1500 bracket for one of those 'everything is done and running as it should' type of cars.
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 12:49   #24
BigMonty
ICE ICE BABY

I certainly wouldn't mind paying good money for one with everything done and that has been well looked after.
I have never come across such an underrated vehicle. I loved my petrol volvos. But a huge comfortable car that does 45-50 mpg. And will raise her skirt and get a substantial gallop on when required ticks all my boxes and then some.
Thanks for the help and good wishes again chaps...... This chapter is certainly not closed.
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 13:13   #25
brickman
Premier Member

Thats pretty much what I think of them, was originally looking at 2001-2005 passat/octavia or even a legacy or A6 wagon, petrols are cheap because they are mostly not very quick and drink fuel, and diesels were hard to find and the ones that were up for sale were not in great shape and a hefty premium.

Then looked at a P2 D5 but again finding a decent one that wasn't about to ingest £1k+ in parts and labour at any second was difficult.

So settled on the AEL/D5252t engined P1 and if it dies of anything very costly I'm 95% certain I'll be in the market for another one right away. Dark grey or that dark metallic green though next time, and a sunroof!

Had 58mpg out of it on continent last summer, runs on bio diesel thats 99p a litre bought legit locally or can brew 80l at a time with a mate which works out about 20p a litre all things considered.