Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1969 131 amazon full mot

Views : 4736

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2014, 21:47   #21
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Paint Stripper is a Big NO no It gets into the metal and you have a hell of a job keeping paint on pretty much like brake fluid it comes back with a vengance

i felt the car was listed honestly and no hidden intentions came across ,i still think the car is worth a look i mean come on its ready to drive at that price its a gift which you can do work on as you enjoy the car driving it from A - TO -B once all tidy you then pop it into the bodyshop with a full respray its not rocket science .

Misterdastardly dont worry fella some people are hard to please and the right new owner is just round the corner im sure hang in there and trust your gut instincts if you dont get a sale or get to many wheel kickers give me a pm

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 22:41   #22
omc 47
VOC Member

Robert,
I agree the car advert has no hidden intentions but a guy did 700 mile round trip and for what ever reason has an opinion which reflects HIS experience of the viewing.
The car is a good price and is worth looking at IF you are prepared for work and not to let it deteriorate too much as a daily runner.
If I hadn't got an Amazon project I would take a look with an open mind.
By the way I paint stripped my TR4 21 years ago and she still sits in my workshop with the faultless paintwork that I put back on her. Ault and Wiberg etch primer followed by ICI Hi Build primer followed by Belco Top coat.......yes I know it's history and so is Cellulose but my paint is still looking good and not on the garage floor as you suggested!! JMO
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 22:49   #23
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc 47 View Post
Robert,
I agree the car advert has no hidden intentions but a guy did 700 mile round trip and for what ever reason has an opinion which reflects HIS experience of the viewing.
The car is a good price and is worth looking at IF you are prepared for work and not to let it deteriorate too much as a daily runner.
If I hadn't got an Amazon project I would take a look with an open mind.
By the way I paint stripped my TR4 21 years ago and she still sits in my workshop with the faultless paintwork that I put back on her. Ault and Wiberg etch primer followed by ICI Hi Build primer followed by Belco Top coat.......yes I know it's history and so is Cellulose but my paint is still looking good and not on the garage floor as you suggested!! JMO
its all in the prep my friend and i would op everytime todo the job properly flat back to bare metal and begin the re apllying process with bone dry metal rather than shortcut the task i have seen some right horrors in my time lol moisture = trouble

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 10:44   #24
Misterdastardly

thank you again 123-gt amazon. I was amazed by the guys remarks, he forgot to mention that his 700 mile trip wasnt just to view my car but also another nearby. the only reason this car has poor paint is because I wanted a cheap classic on the road to use now! I used to own a wedding fleet of big daimlers and rollers and yes then the paintwork had to be spot on, but my age has taught me that it isnt worth the bother for a daily driver, leave it outside the shops and it gets scratched or dented,drive past a overgrown bush and again deep scratches, and a perfect car is just a target for yobs on a night [as many keys down my rollers will testify] I wanted a classic car that was different.that was cheap and pratical to use,and that was free to tax. the paint job cost me £100 inc materials on a cold day in a windy warehouse. it wasnt done to hide anything, just to look smart, and beside the bitchy comments it does look smart! as it is, it wont win many shows but with a bit of effort it could! [I have stripped rolls royces back to the metal with nothing more than elbow grease, the paint is new and thin and wouldnt take more than a weekend to remove] I do have more of your members coming to view, and do not think it will be long before it is sold.
Misterdastardly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misterdastardly For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 12:23   #25
windaelicker88

As i mentioned earlier i thought long and hard before commenting. I really think you should post more pictures and maybe include some problem areas so that people can make a more informed evaluation before committing to travelling. I bet you have had several messages already asking for this from potential buyers. I did in fact have another car and motorcycle to see because i know that things are never as described by sellers so always give myself options when travelling so far.
I knew within 5 minutes your car was not for me and didn't see any point in hanging around because i didn't even want to make an offer.
I was shown a folder with receipts etc all for work carried out a long long time ago...can you confirm the date written on the oil filter i can't recall if it was 2006 or 1996 the last time it was changed?
Everything has a value but i felt we would be too far apart from your asking price of £1800. I have no doubt somebody will save it and make you an offer but i think you should be more detailed in your description.This is not E- Bay. The people on here are the real enthusiasts who will pay good money, save this car and will see past any problems it may have but i think would appreciate genuine descriptions.

I have added a couple of pictures i took to give you an idea of what people may like to see,these were not the worst but are the kind of things people want to see.

Last edited by windaelicker88; Oct 15th, 2014 at 13:55.
windaelicker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to windaelicker88 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 13:16   #26
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

In the seller's favour I'm just popping in to say it still looks like good value for money since it drives, with MOT...
Maybe a hard /expensive job to restore to perfect, but for a customer who wants to use it amd keep it in useable condition it feels about right.

I'd hate the seller to go off in a huff and deny the chance of a forumite to own and use this car.
If it was anywhere near me I'd be down like a shot to tap it here and there with a screwdriver and drive it up and down the road at the very minimum!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 14:56   #27
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Would someone mind explaining to me why the second picture is so offensive? New metal's been let into the bottom of the arch, I can see that, but it's been done pretty well - what's the problem?

Is an £1800 Amazon going to be mint? One more time. Is an £1800 Amazon likely to be mint? No, it's not going to be, is it?

I swear some of you lot would complain if Volvo itself re-built an Amazon to factory tolerances.

It looks a serviceable car for the money and a decent, rolling basis for further restoration.
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 15:23   #28
Underdrive

At the risk of taking sides, this looks like the situation you get with any second-hand car at the lower end of the market. The seller wants to get as much as he can for it and gives HIS version of it's condition, hopefully being honest within the realms of his knowledge, but not itemising every fault to the point of putting everyone off. The buyer should always beware and expect to find more faults than listed and be prepared to walk away if it doesn't fit his criteria. However this is a car nearly 50 years old with plenty of time to accumulate mods, repairs and changes, with an overdrive, presumably a half decent engine and gearbox and suspension that has at least passed an MOT, plus an opportunity to restore a 3 door bodyshell. Anyone buying an Amazon as a restoration project in this price range can expect to have to repair the areas anyway, that appear to have been 'bodged' on this car. Advertising on this forum should mean that potential buyers are familiar with the likely problem areas know and what it will cost to sort them and if it's worth it. If a car like this is advertised on ebay there is the risk of someone unprepared and unfamiliar with classic car ownership and repair, just wanting to get himself a classic car. So it's probably a good thing it's being sold on here. If nothing else you could easily get your money back selling the parts separately although another complete Amazon staying on the road is preferable, even if it is tatty! Sorry if this is all obvious, just trying to see both sides.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Underdrive For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 16:31   #29
windaelicker88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobandhismakarov View Post
Would someone mind explaining to me why the second picture is so offensive? New metal's been let into the bottom of the arch, I can see that, but it's been done pretty well - what's the problem?

Is an £1800 Amazon going to be mint? One more time. Is an £1800 Amazon likely to be mint? No, it's not going to be, is it?

I swear some of you lot would complain if Volvo itself re-built an Amazon to factory tolerances.

It looks a serviceable car for the money and a decent, rolling basis for further restoration.
If you think that's well done i wish i could find customers like you when i sell cars.
That was not the point of the pictures.I was only showing what potential buyers would like to see when they ask for further pictures and detail of any work done. There was worse.

I never ever expect mint...As i said i can comment because i took the time to view. Nobody else has!!
windaelicker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to windaelicker88 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 17:45   #30
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windaelicker88 View Post
If you think that's well done i wish i could find customers like you when i sell cars.
That was not the point of the pictures.I was only showing what potential buyers would like to see when they ask for further pictures and detail of any work done. There was worse.

I never ever expect mint...As i said i can comment because i took the time to view. Nobody else has!!
Your expectations were unrealistic.

It's been done 'pretty well' (in relative terms) for an £1800 Amazon, which that is. It's an Amazon that has an MoT and can haul itself down the road. It's going to need work after six months or so to keep it there. It's not going to be a show car, is it?

I never said I would have bought it (cheers for the presumption I'm a mug by the way, appreciated), merely that it was acceptable for a £1800 Amazon. I've seen plenty of worse arch repairs than that, and plenty better.

Hope you find what you're after, genuinely - but I think expecting perfection for £1800 is a tad difficult.