Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ideas on upgrades?

Views : 5176

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 09:23   #21
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I'm well aware that 123 Ignition distributors are good and loads of people swear by them but the purpose of a distributor is to distribute the current to either of the spark plugs, whether it's a standard version, one with electronic kit to replace the points or a 123

Just to explain what electronic ignition kits do - they replace points. Nothing more. Both are basically on/off switches

In comparison to a distributor fitted with points and set up correctly, an Accuspark kit or any other electronic points kit WILL NOT provide better mpg, better performance, better starting etc. However, the benefit of one of these kits is that unlike points, they never go out of adjustment and in comparison to a car with the points set up incorrectly or worn, it will provide better mpg, performance and better starting

The cheapest is to stay with the standard set up. A set of points and a condensor is a few pounds. However, they require routine maintenance and it's a fiddle to get it set up exactly right. Electronic kits have become very cheap nowadays and they provide maintenance free and a 'once set up correctly you can leave it alone' peace of mind. Instead, you may fork out all that cash for a 123. These offer a fabulous, brand new alternative for a standard distributor which is no longer available. They also have a switchable advance curve so, for example, is you have changed your standard B18A engine to B18B spec (cam, carbs etc) you can run it on the correct curve instead of putting in a proper B18B distributor. However, the curves do not differ from the factory settings, so a 123 on a B18A offers nothing different to a B18A distributor providing it's set up correctly. Yes, you can switch between low and high octane which either increases or decreases advance. For someone who has a modified engine that doesn't resemble something standard (IE none of the advance curves of a standard 123) there's the fully programmable version

Both versions offer a precise spark at high rpm where standard points can 'bounce'. But we're talking about VERY high rpm

The purpose of either type of on/off switch is to trigger the coil. When the switch is closed, the 12v supply from the ignition switch is earthed through the engine block. When it is open, the 12v supply goes to the coil where it is converted into an extremely high voltage. To do this it needs an instantaneous trigger of voltage - if it is too short a supply, then the coil doesn't build up enough (points gap too narrow). If it is too long, the coil goes off like a wet fart (points gap too wide)

In other words - the condition of the coil DOES NOT affect the performance of the distributor, but the performance of the distributor DOES affect the performance of the coil

Generally, a coil either works or it doesn't - I've not come across a coil causing intermittent problems. So if yours works, I'd stick with it, especially because of the hassle of changing from the existing armoured cable

What I STRONGLY recommend is that you carefully check the operation of your advance mechanism in your existing distributor, because if it is worn or not working, then any kind of upgrade to that distributor is going to be pointless

Grab hold of the rotor arm and twist it. It should have good resistance and no flop at all - a small amount of up and down flop will be noticed, but there should be no rotational floppiness. As you let go, it should spring back with a good clink. If it doesn't twist or if it is floppy, there is little point in going any further with that distributor

While you're about it, I would recommend a new rotor arm, cap and HT leads and make sure that the connectors on the 12v circuit are all in good nick. All of this restores the standard system back to what is a very efficient set up
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Jan 25th, 2013 at 09:27.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 00:17   #22
lukeball

I was sure that some of the drop-in ignition modules offer stronger spark compared to points. Some people even say that the engine is smoother. Here is what I am going with, it is better than pertronix: http://www.hot-spark.com

The main advantage that I saw with the 123 ignition is that it offers spark balancing.

If electronic ignition didn't offer any benefits over points, why would my engine builder say that I can run 1.5 point higher compression with electronic ignition?

Please correct me if I am wrong.
1959 Volvo Amazon. Chassis #17048
lukeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 06:54   #23
Bristol603

I use a 123tune in my LPG converted Amazon. The advance curves required for LPG and petrol are significantly different. With a standard distributor you have to compromise and use a sub-optimal single curve that will sort of work for both. The 123tune lets me run both an LPG curve and a petrol curve and then automatically switch between the two as I switch the fuel in use. I am also a very lazy person so the ability to set the ignition/timing up properly once and then forget it really appeals. The product is expensive, but is excellent. If you cost your time in maintaining a conventional ignition system (changing points, checking/adjusting dwell, checking/adjusting timing), then the price doesn't seem to bad.
Bristol603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 10:21   #24
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeball View Post
I was sure that some of the drop-in ignition modules offer stronger spark compared to points. Some people even say that the engine is smoother. Here is what I am going with, it is better than pertronix: http://www.hot-spark.com

The main advantage that I saw with the 123 ignition is that it offers spark balancing.

If electronic ignition didn't offer any benefits over points, why would my engine builder say that I can run 1.5 point higher compression with electronic ignition?

Please correct me if I am wrong.
With reference to your points about offering a stronger spark compared to points and your engine builder saying a higher compression with elec ignition, I'm afraid both points are absolutely impossible

Smoother running is something you'll notice if compared to a standard points set up only if the points aren't set up correctly. Otherwise that too is completely impossible. However, Setting up the points exactly correctly is a fiddle, so I would say that most peoples' standard systems aren't right. So elec ignition is great for those who don't want to spend time maintaining the old fashioned standard system

My point is that if your standard system is setup correctly, there is NO WAY that anything else is going to make the coil work any differently to produce a better spark at the plugs. Impossible

Yes, the 123 offers the spark balancing. This gives an extra boost to a spark plug if the system recognises that cylinder is down on oomph compared to the others. The only time you'll notice the benefit of this is at idle

Bristol 603, I'm with you on that one! A tunable 123 is a great device if you're running anything that's not standard. Going back to the point you raised about a higher compression, a 123 would definitely be of benefit where you could alter the advance curve to suit your modification
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:13   #25
superspod

good day, cleaned up boot stripped some of the underseal the last guy sprayed in the trunk, fixed the problem of the wobbly boot, checked petrol pump, had a brief drive up and down the drive and more importantly got the distributor number - 023114607 (any elelctronic ignition for that?) and possibly sourced a spare b20 bad news is hole in exhaust appears to be worsening, and condensation still finding a way in under the rocker cover. car being picked up monday to go to garage and hopefully fixed. should an exhaust (from engine to end be fitted by a mechanic or should i attempt it myself?
cheers,
cameron
superspod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:17   #26
superspod

damn accidentally posted twice can a moderator delete this?

Last edited by superspod; Jan 27th, 2013 at 02:18. Reason: posted twice
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:04   #27
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspod View Post
got the distributor number - 023114607 (any elelctronic ignition for that?)
That's weird. For your engine, the last three numbers should be 077
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:17   #28
superspod

stupid me, it does end 077, sorry
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 12:09   #29
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

You need a kit for an Amazon distributor with left hand points. Accuspark do one

If you decide to keep with your standard set up, then you can still get a set of left hand points and the correct condenser from Brookhouse. Last time I bought a kit, I had difficulty in getting the correct set locally, so I bought about 5 sets from Brookhouse
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 13:21   #30
superspod

just out of interest saw the footman james mini and great western autojumble and was wondering if anyone was going?

Tags
advice, newbie, upgrades