Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thieving Insurers

Views : 9710

Replies : 94

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2010, 19:05   #21
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Sorry to hear you're having trouble Richard. I'm not going to say they're all a bunch of bastards...but the vast majority of them are!

Mind you I have a sneaking suspicion that you're not going to let it lie...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 23:41   #22
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Lie?

I intend to nail their bastard hides to the wall!
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerthechorister For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 08:43   #23
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
Well I had a slight bump in my 760T. Front wing. I slipped in a new sidelight myself. Headlight was not broken. Hockey stick OK. Bumper was pulled a bit but has crept back. Slight ding on front wing - so slight that at a passing glance you would not notice. Slight closure (sixteenth of an inch) of shut line between wing and bonnet - but inspection shows movement under the bolts that bolt the bolt-on wing on - so a carrot to Lombard Street that is going to be merely a matter of re-aligning the wing on the bolts. Slight closure (less than a sixteenth of an inch) of the shut line between the sidelight and the headlight - probably pinch from the wing.

Yes, I have some idea what I am talking about - I worked while a student in a Ford dealer bodyshop and the head sprayer for whom I mostly did prep was poached by Rolls-Royce.

Aviva (I name names, me) tell me that the cost of repair will be over £2,000 and want to write my baby off. I know what this is about - my only escape will be to abandon the part of my claim (probably a knock-for-knock) and fix her myself - so they save themselves the REAL cost of repair, probably about £250 (re-align wing on bolts, ping dent out with balloon or little hydraulic tool, a bit of plod, then cellulose putty, primer, undercoat and maybe spray whole wing and tiny chip touch up on edge of bonnet).

Did I mention that this is on a cherished car policy? Lots of bull**** on the phone about "not repaired to our standards sir, but you can go to a backstreet bodger if you like".

AVOID THESE THIEVES.
Strangely enough, my issues outlined below, are also concerning Aviva, albeit through Direct Choice. Either way like yourself, I am not happy either, and have spoken with the insurance ombudsman who has very readily agreed that the company were at fault, and will be taking the matter up on my behalf.

More people need to kick up a stink when things go wrong, or service is not as it should be, and the customer is expected to sort things out.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108810
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 14:00   #24
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default My letter of today to Aviva

Aviva Insurance
PO Box 6
Norwich
NR1 3NG

10/11/2010

Dear Sirs Volvo
Policy G
Claim Reference number

I refer to my telephone conversation of today with your call centre operative who gave the improbable name of Alfred or Albert or something like that.

I should be grateful if you would write to me rather than telephone me. I do not trust you accurately to record the contents of telephone conversations. If I have your communications in writing then they are provable should it be necessary to sue you.

I continue to press you for a detailed written (that is what I said in my last letter, “written”) breakdown of what you say the repair costs are. I also wish to know (I think it will be best to repeat the entire list here now): -

1. If my vehicle were to be declared a total loss and you were to pay me out, what would be the amount you would propose to pay me?
2. If you were to declare the vehicle a total loss
2.1. Would you sell it back to me as salvage?
2.2. What category would you declare it as?
2.3. At what price would you sell it back to me?
3. Would you provide for a contract price repair rather than write my car off?
4. Would you pay me an agreed cash sum in respect of the claim (and not write my car off)?
5. Have you received any claim by or on behalf of Mr Rahman? If so please provide a copy.
6. If I abandon the claim in respect of the damage to my vehicle (as distinct from a claim to be indemnified against Mr Rahman): -
6.1. Will you rebuff any claim by Mr Rahman’s insurers?
6.2. If so will I then be treated as having made no claim (to the benefit of my no claims discount)?
6.3. Can you quantify the likely benefit, approximately?

I will add that if any other options are open to me I wish to know in writing what they are.

Yours etc

R
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerthechorister For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 14:26   #25
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
I should be grateful if you would write to me rather than telephone me. I do not trust you accurately to record the contents of telephone conversations. If I have your communications in writing then they are provable should it be necessary to sue you.
I'm afraid I've just had a tea / keyboard interface.

I look forward to hearing more about how you get on, as it has been most satisfying to read so far!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 10:40   #26
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default My latest letter

Aviva Insurance
PO Box 6
Norwich
NR1 3NG

15/11/2010

Dear Sirs Volvo F
Policy G
Claim Reference number 0734

Thank you for your letter dated the 10th November telling me that my claim has been passed to your claim investigators. I am of course delighted, but I should still like the following information in writing without delay.

I continue to press you for a detailed written breakdown of what you say the repair costs are. I also wish to know: -

1. If my vehicle were to be declared a total loss and you were to pay me out, what would be the amount you would propose to pay me?
2. If you were to declare the vehicle a total loss
2.1. Would you sell it back to me as salvage?
2.2. What category would you declare it as?
2.3. At what price would you sell it back to me?
3. Would you provide for a contract price repair rather than write my car off?
4. Would you pay me an agreed cash sum in respect of the claim (and not write my car off)?
5. Have you received any claim by or on behalf of Mr Rahman? If so please provide a copy.
6. If I abandon the claim in respect of the damage to my vehicle (as distinct from a claim to be indemnified against Mr Rahman): -
6.1. Will you rebuff any claim by Mr Rahman’s insurers?
6.2. If so will I then be treated as having made no claim (to the benefit of my no claims discount)?
6.3. Can you quantify the likely benefit, approximately?

I will add that if any other options are open to me I wish to know in writing what they are.

Yours etc

Richard McD. Bridge
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 12:12   #27
malcolmk
VOC Member

i hope you get this sorted quickly,i will say to everyone who read this post,don`t fall into the trap of going direct to an Insurance company/comparison sites or big national brokers who get through staff at an alarming rate,find a local broker who`s business is built up through recomdations, i have had this problem with some companies,and been able to avoid this hassle,in knowing who to speak to and the correct things to say,sadly advice is my job and how i earn a crust,and it saddens me i can`t afford to handle problems other than my customers(FSA rules etc) but good luck,regards Malcolmk
malcolmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 12:30   #28
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default No rush

Well, I am in no hurry - the dent on my 760T is slight enough that many would miss it at a glance, and I have the B200FT and teh B234F to drive anyway if I fancy a change.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 12:50   #29
my minty
VOC Member

I made the mistake of insuring with chris knott, i tried all the comparison web sites and got loads of quotes it was impossible to remember all the details of each quote, i could remember getting a couple under £500, when i phoned chris knott i didn't have computer access so told them the amount id been quoted roughly, they then offered a price slightly dearer but said i could have a lower excess amount or i could have protected no claims bonus, i chose the protected no claims.

After the policy was takenout they asked for actual written proof of the quotes i had recieved, i've never been asked to proove this before so i sent off some emails from the comparison web sites but i was gob smacked when i then recieved a call saying the policies wern't like for like, to get the quotes under £500 i had opted for a high excess and no protection on my no claims bonus therefore they were were now adding £300 onto my policy for the privalge of having my bonus protecte...... WTF ! they offerd it me to take out a policy with them not the other cheapest company!

I'm now paying hundreds more than i could of got the other cheapest policy with, i'm praying i never have to make a claim they will probably say i'm not covered for what ever it was i'd claimed for, chris knot are robbing theiving bastards and i will NEVER insure with them again, beware if you ever think of usuing this company.

owned by a 1992 240
my minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 13:29   #30
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Were you offered the opportunity to cancel?

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164