Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'Lucky' - Volvo Amazon 133

Views : 4569

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 19:26   #21
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

The bill was LESS than expected?? You are lucky!

The mercury here is sitting at -20 this morning (again), what a brutal winter.... Judging by the weather in Eastern Canada at the mo' (I'm in the West), I'd say there are more storms heading your way.

Oh - if your steering is off, maybe get that sussed before going to the expense of getting new rims painted (and I assume new tyres), that may improve things?
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 20:12   #22
ClassicCarMan

Default Yes I do know that about the steering

hence, my previous posts. I repeat myself here but, the wheels on car are currently wide alloy ones...with low profile tyres hence I want to get rid of them, but to do that I need to paint the original wheels (that I have), replace the tyres on them as they currently have old remoulds (I have already purchased new tyres) and get them fitted. Then hopefully the steering might improve (after tracking is redone). But your right about the weather. So I might need to get the wheel painted professionally as it has not been dry enough nor still enough to paint wheels outside for months now. All paint seems to come in spray cans and I would rather paint my wheels rather than the surrounding countryside...
ClassicCarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 13:22   #23
Derek UK
VOC Member

Being in the Isle of Man does probably limit your choice but if you can find someone to at least blast them properly, you can get a coat of two pack primer on them at a friendly body shop. Basic blast companies usually just put on a standard primer which may or may not be good enough for you. Blasting will do in an hour what takes you a few days of finger busting graft. Worth the price for a quicker and better job IMO. With the tyres off, you can run a file or flap wheel over any rim scrapes before blasting.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 22:11   #24
ClassicCarMan

Default Wheels

Yes your right, I have used a wire wheel brush with the drill and used antirust stuff on them (turns blue) and I dropped off the original wheels today first thing with National Tyres to get the old tyres off. Tomorrow, first thing I drop off the wheels in with Auto Crash (who do body repairs and refurb wheels) to get the wheels sorted and painted (matt silver). Weather can then can do what it likes then, so I expect good weather from now on as that is how it usually goes...

Once wheels painted then back to National with the old girl to get the wheels swopped over (with the new tyres I have) - plan is currently next Saturday. As to car covers, the one I want (a Storm Cover) is out of stock but hopefully will be back in stock next week - he is going to call me. That just leaves then this Saturday for the assessment of the old girls body work, which will take a few days they said so I am preparing for that by charging up the battery tonight so we will see if their is life in old dog or not. Hopefully, there is or else I need to buy a new battery before Saturday or the car won't get very far...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ClassicCarMan For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 10:57   #25
Malton

Im so proud of people like you looking after this amazing estates!!!
Malton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Malton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 22:20   #26
ClassicCarMan

Thank you for the support but I have to confess the old girl is only a 2 door saloon, not an estate...
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 22:51   #27
ClassicCarMan

Default Gulp!

I received an estimate today from 'Autocash'. The results of inspection of what the body work needs doing to it and how much they would charge to put it 'right'. Quite a bit to think about as you can see from the list:

Renew:
Full Door Skin R/H & L/H
Door Frame R/H & L/H
Inner & Outer Wheel Arches R/H & L/H
Rear Spare Wheel Carrier R/H & L/H
Floor Extension R/H & L/H
Lower Valance R/H & L/H
Rear Wing Front Lower Section R/H & L/H
Front Wing R/H

Repair:
Gutter Rails
Boot Lid
Front Scuttle Panel

They think the bonnet could do with a better one too - existing one previously repaired in a few places and a lot of filler. Dread to think of shipping costs getting a second hand bonnet to the Isle of Man probably as much as a bonnet itself! Autocrash have quoted me almost 8K but that includes stripping existing paintwork to bare metal and repainting. This cost of course does not includes any of the panels which would have to be purchased separately. Floor seems sound though! Don't think for a second I will be taking up their offer unless I win the lottery which as I don't play....

Autocrash are also sorting my original Amazon wheels which are to be painted on Monday they tell me. My breathable waterproof cover should be on its way now which I purchased yesterday as Peter (of P J Covers) called me to tell me it is back in stock (just in time for the warm weather then!).

Once I get the original wheels back and with the new tyres onto the car it will go under the cover until I can accumulate some cash and some panels to get a bit done at a time. I have paid the car tax on my modern thing and the renewal for the insurance on it has come through too.....

Saw this site 'Body Works Robin Gell'
http://www.met-alchemy.com/volvoamazonrefab.htm - not been updated for a while I think, but it is exactly what my old girl needs doing - guy does a pro job I must say if the photo's are anything to go by. Nice tip re side trim too using modern fixings to keep out the water.

I don't think I will be driving the old girl this Summer I'm afraid dodging motorcyclists with a death wish (Isle of Man TT) but perhaps next Summer?
One can dream....
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 23:07   #28
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

hi ya

i would do all that work at a fraction of the cost http://phoenix-classic-restorations....work-done.html i dont see how people can quote such a high figure and live with themselves i know its hardwork dont get me wrong but you could buy a show car for that much i use the rule of thumb value for money and put myself in the customers shoes how would i feel ? would i want to pay that much and if so is it worth every penny .

i hope all goes ok and you can work out an action plan with lucky

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 19:34   #29
ClassicCarMan

Default Two Steps forward, Two Steps Back

Finally got the original wheels back from Auto Crash after them painting them. It took weeks and lots of telephone calls to and fro. They certainly will not be doing any work on my car. They always promised to call you back and they never did.

I have finally have them fitted too with the new tyres and the tracking done - which again took weeks. I had a call in work time from Southern Tyres 'your wheels need inner tubes shall I order them?', I was in the middle of trying to fix an IT issue for a member of staff, so without thinking I said yes. It was only later on I thought 'hang on a minute!' - my last amazon did not have inner tunes on her tyres and the tyres were exactly the same size as they are now, but it was too late then.

I am still waiting for my spare wheel back as the hole in the wheel for the valve is too big on the now spare wheel so they are getting an adaptor. They can get them on island but have to buy more than one so that is causing the delay. I also need another new wheel nut as one of them 'looks like it has been hit with a hammer' to quote Sothern Tyres....

I fitted a new battery before it went to Southern Tyres as on previous occasions garages have flattened the old battery and I have had to jump start it to get away. I have also fitted a new fuel gauge which now reads a quarter full rather than wildly moving to and fro hitting the limit of the gauge every few seconds. I have had not had chance to drive it since the original wheels were put back on as the UK tax has run out, so the car is no longer legal to drive on the roads until I get it MOT'ed and taxed here.

I was hoping this weekend to wash the car and give it a polish up before I put her under my newly purchased cover while I save up some money to do a bit more but the weather is very wet and very foggy - of course yesterday was glorious weather but I was at work...

I think in my case - miracles do happen but the impossible does take a bit longer.
The Following User Says Thank You to ClassicCarMan For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 04:00   #30
volvogv
Master Member

Pictures, man! Let us see those fresh new wheels. :-)
volvogv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
133, lucky, volvo amazon