Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stupid car

Views : 4058

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 10:06   #21
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
Only it wasn't low on fuel, the car imagined it was low on fuel. There is a difference. A significant one.
Let me get this right here..... the car "imagined" it was low on fuel but you only put 5 Quids worth in

sounds like it was YOU who "Imagined" it WASN'T low on fuel to me & you didn't put any more in coz you don't like "Smelly" diesel pumps ...

Think you need to live wayyyyy back in the 1950's mate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyK9iG_Udr0
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 10:19   #22
Uk Saint

Quote:
Had to fill the car since there was only 20 miles to go according to the computer, but the pump at the station had issues and I only got 5 litres into the tank after fiddling for a long time.
Look at this another way...

If the pump you were using was having difficulty dispensing fuel, do you think there could have been a slight chance hardly any fuel was dispensed at all? You say you had to fiddle to get it to work in the first place.

It could be fair to assume that seeing as the car behaved like it had no fuel, it actually had no fuel.
Uk Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uk Saint For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 10:43   #23
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk Saint View Post

If the pump you were using was having difficulty dispensing fuel, do you think there could have been a slight chance hardly any fuel was dispensed at all? You say you had to fiddle to get it to work in the first place.

It could be fair to assume that seeing as the car behaved like it had no fuel, it actually had no fuel.
I'm going to agree with Faffi. The fuel gauge in the red does not respond to additions of anything less than what seems to be 7 litres.

What I'm saying is, you can run the gauges on these cars down to a point way past the 'empty' marker where the needle is resting on the peg. If you add £10 of fuel at this point, it doesnt register it....at all, despite this being enough to take you back into top of the red section of the gauge.

I'm pretty sure it's cost me extra money over the years because I always find myself having to stick in £15 or £20 when im low on fuel JUST so it'll say something on the fuel gauge for me to work with.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 10:44   #24
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk Saint View Post

OMG. The pump was barely pumping at all, and after getting 5 litres in, I couldn't be bothered to stand there waiting for drops to slowly trickle into the tank anymore as I knew I had plenty to safely get to the next station. If the pump registered 5 litres and delivered nothing, how come I could only manage to get 45 litres into the tank when I finally got to fill it properly?
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:38   #25
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Only it wasn't low on fuel, the car imagined it was low on fuel. There is a difference. A significant one.
No there isn't. The difference is, the driver is so pedantic, that HE wants to tell the technic was is in the tank where as the technic is telling the driver that it doesn't have any fuel.

Iirc you drive a Diesel... And these HAVE to start making these movements. If it gets any emptier, you can f**k up the high pressure injection pump, resulting in VERY high costs and NO good will by Volvo, because the gauge says to tank up and you didn't. A petrol will say "hmm. I'll cut out now as I'm empty". Refill, start, runs. A diesel won't. It will need to be bleed. It will need care to the high pressure pump. New jets etc. and this will be dear... VERY dear.

And I'm with Lee on this one: lame thread started by someone complaining about something which happend, because he wasn't in the mental position to tank up earlier... Btw.: The red light turns on when about 8 litres of fuel is still in the tank. If you drive further, it won't remind you, as it is on ALL THE TIME.

And those who only chuck in £5 or £10 worth of fuel into their tank: please change your brand. If you can't afford to tank your car right up, then something is wrong and your priorities are set wrong... You might want to get a bus ticket.

The last time I saw the red light on my fuel gauge turn on, was as I was unemployed about 3 years ago... Half a year after buying the car! Since then: every tank up was to the top...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)

Last edited by Daim; Oct 23rd, 2011 at 12:06.
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:40   #26
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
I'm going to agree with Faffi. The fuel gauge in the red does not respond to additions of anything less than what seems to be 7 litres.

What I'm saying is, you can run the gauges on these cars down to a point way past the 'empty' marker where the needle is resting on the peg. If you add £10 of fuel at this point, it doesnt register it....at all, despite this being enough to take you back into top of the red section of the gauge.

I'm pretty sure it's cost me extra money over the years because I always find myself having to stick in £15 or £20 when im low on fuel JUST so it'll say something on the fuel gauge for me to work with.
Why should it have to react/respond to 7l of fuel or less? It is still in the red. So, it doesn't matter where it stands in the red area of the gauge, it is STILL in the red... Common sense?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 13:02   #27
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

NUFF SAID!!!
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 15:02   #28
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Why should it have to react/respond to 7l of fuel or less? It is still in the red. So, it doesn't matter where it stands in the red area of the gauge, it is STILL in the red... Common sense?
The fuel guage does this at ANY point on the gauage!!

If you have half a tank of fuel, put 7ltrs (£10) in and it doesnt acknowledge it.

It's done this on BOTH my cars.

It's like toppping up your phone by £10, then when you check it, it says you have £0.00 credit unless you wait 30 mins/1 hour/24hours for it to update.

7ltrs in T5 wont get you very far, but in a 1.6d thats another 100 miles it's left that it doesnt acknowledge.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 15:05   #29
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

maybe you should consider buying another brand of car that will tell you exactly how many miles are left instead of going ----

oh wait they all do that...not being funny i know that the c30's gauge does not move much if it is in the red and you only put a small amount in...but tbh i have only had it on once in the whole time i have had mine it is just not worth the risk...mine is venturing towards the red section now but no light yet, when i come to refill i will just fill it full i cba going twice or three times it will cost the same in the long run.as for relating quantities to price is not fair really its not the cars fault for not seeing £10 or so it does not know the cost of fuel...as for the quantity point very few cars recognize small amounts end of the day the bigger the tank the less the needle will move very few manufacturers put massive fuel gauges in the dash!

Having a discussion with one of the techs at my local dealer though and said overall the reserves on c30's (unsure about s40 and v50 but i assume the same) are big in comparison to some other modern cars which sort of explains why the gauge wont move much in the red...

as for the pumps get over it. Some people these days are really stupidly weird....you might as well cover yourself in plastic orb to get around (like the one in that advert in case you catch something) i dont think it is the cars fault for not filling up either, if you dont like filling up then why not get someone to do it for you if you can

Last edited by Ninja59; Oct 23rd, 2011 at 15:11.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 15:17   #30
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
The fuel guage does this at ANY point on the gauage!!

If you have half a tank of fuel, put 7ltrs (£10) in and it doesnt acknowledge it.

It's done this on BOTH my cars.

It's like toppping up your phone by £10, then when you check it, it says you have £0.00 credit unless you wait 30 mins/1 hour/24hours for it to update.

7ltrs in T5 wont get you very far, but in a 1.6d thats another 100 miles it's left that it doesnt acknowledge.
You then drive and it WILL raise then. Not whilst standing... When standing, you've got to leave the ignition on for a while.

But again: WHY should the gauge have to react, if you fill only a few litres into the tank? If you top the tank full, it will. If you just chuck a few litres in whilst nearly empty: it won't.

Tags
boring thread