Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Revision of Motorway Speed Limits and Rules

Views : 6863

Replies : 122

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2011, 18:09   #21
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Okay, higher speeds seem "scary" for some of you (by reading some of the posts here I got that impression) but have any of you driven on German Autobahns for a while exceeding speeds of 130 km/h (80 mph)?

The problem isn't your stopping distance, it is the other drivers. If the other driver won't expect someone to be driving 160 km/h (100 mph) and simply pulls out infront of you THEN you have the issue. BUT here in Germany people use their mirrors. They get the appropriate driving education needed...

Ever been overtaken by a car going 400(!) km/h (400 km/h = 248 mph!!!)? No? What do you do? You keep your eyes on your driver's side mirror and as soon as you think you are able to overtake, you look into it a few times! Not only once! And then you are on the safe side...

An increase in speed will require MAJOR education of the masses!
Hi Daim

I have driven on the German Autobahns at high speed and I was overtaken as though I was stationary!!!!!!!!!

regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 18:13   #22
tt82
Forum Support Team

HGV's restricted to lane 1?

Imagine this scenario. You as a considerate driver wishing to leave the motorway join lane 1 inbetween 2 HGV's in plenty of time, as you travel along and near the junction an incosiderate driver, having left attempting to join lane 1 till the last momment pulls in front of the lorry infornt you and brakes hard. That HGV then brakes hard itself to avoid a collision. You brake hard to avoid the collision. The HGV behind you reacts slowly and doesnt brake hard enough.

Do your family want flowers or donations to a charitable cause in your memory?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 18:13   #23
chelle_belle
and Craig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Hi Chelle Belle and Craig!

Do see your point.

Would it be too much to expect though to expect the faster lorry to simply follow at the reduced speed for a little while until the slower lorry is back to 56mph?

TBH I have not come across that many lorries doing 45mph on the mway as the majority of HGV nowadays can maintain 56mph ish up and down hills loaded or unloaded due to their powerful engines. Yes ok they may have to drop a cog or 2 (or 3)..!!

My scenario from the previous page thus applies in this instance!
Hi Volvorocks,

If the unloaded lorry stayed behind the loaded one then all the lorrys behind would be at 45mph,
A truck i used to drive which was extremely powerful would struggle when loaded up hill.

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chelle_belle For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 18:20   #24
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
HGV's restricted to lane 1?

Imagine this scenario. You as a considerate driver wishing to leave the motorway join lane 1 inbetween 2 HGV's in plenty of time, as you travel along and near the junction an incosiderate driver, having left attempting to join lane 1 till the last momment pulls in front of the lorry infornt you and brakes hard. That HGV then brakes hard itself to avoid a collision. You brake hard to avoid the collision. The HGV behind you reacts slowly and doesnt brake hard enough.

Do your family want flowers or donations to a charitable cause in your memory?
This could happen even if HGV's remain being allowed in lane 2.

In the scenario you describe using the current rules in so far as the HGV IS allowed in lane 2 he would simply pull into lane 2 and crush you as you were attempting to get into the gap filled by the inconsiderate motorway joiner!!!

regards
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 18:21   #25
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle_belle View Post
Hi Volvorocks,

If the unloaded lorry stayed behind the loaded one then all the lorrys behind would be at 45mph,
A truck i used to drive which was extremely powerful would struggle when loaded up hill.
Hi Michelle and Craig

Yes I do accept your point. It is a good one.

Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 19:38   #26
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

I was beginning to think it was only me that had to play "avoid the mad truck driver" on motorways ! what I cant understand is these drivers must be the most highly qualified/ experienced on the road, but so many of them drive like inconsiderate maniacs , I travel between cheshire and surrey a couple of times a month, so I dont really qualify as a high milage user, but every trip I witness several near misses and last trip a bmw side swiped a she drove past in lane 2 , its that bad now if I see a queue of trucks in front I move into lane 3 , bad practise I know but Im witnessing more and more drivers doing the same
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to galloot633 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 19:55   #27
Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloot633 View Post
I was beginning to think it was only me that had to play "avoid the mad truck driver" on motorways ! what I cant understand is these drivers must be the most highly qualified/ experienced on the road, but so many of them drive like inconsiderate maniacs... its that bad now if I see a queue of trucks in front I move into lane 3 , bad practise I know but Im witnessing more and more drivers doing the same
dave
same here. Part of motorway driving is anticipating the actions of a dozen other drivers, that can only get harder at higher speed.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 20:05   #28
owyn
Premier Member

No bad practice there! Especially if the lorry is left hand drive, there's a big blind spot under the right door.
If there is room I'd say a lane 3 overtake is the way to go.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owyn For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 20:17   #29
bigbadee

being a hgv driver only having lane 1 would kill me as there is a need to overtake if we were only allowed in lane one then it would end up taking us longer to deliver our goods which would mean more man hours pushing prices up even more .but i would like to see the motor limit uped a bit 80ish for cars maybe vans i personly would leave hgv were it is but can someone tell me why coaches which have people on board not just goods are alowed to travel at 70 and use all 3 lanes
bigbadee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigbadee For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 20:43   #30
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadee View Post
but can someone tell me why coaches which have people on board not just goods are alowed to travel at 70 and use all 3 lanes
I agree a lower speed limit for coaches would seem to make sense, but I thought they (full-sized coaches) had been banned from the third lane for quite some time now?

Highway code rule 265
Quote:
The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are driving
any vehicle drawing a trailer
a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter
a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes
a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver
a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes which is constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote