Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to turn off Day Running Lights - I've had an idea

Views : 3820

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2014, 09:23   #21
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

A buzzer is easy, use a solid state piezo type connected between headlight circuit and another circuit which switches with the ignition, eg accessory 12 volt socket. Use a pull-down resistor on the accessory socket side so current flows through the buzzer if the headlight circuit is on and the accessory socket isn't. You used to be able to buy buzzers ready configured for this job, not seen one for a while as most cars already have the feature, you may still be able to get them, otherwise easy to DIY.

With Volvo DRLs the rear lights are also on so no need to worry about forgetting to put your lights on.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 07:03   #22
Falmouthboy

I guess the best solution could be to get the 'proper' DRLs fitted with the fog lights as in the last of the line V50s - I wonder how much that would cost?
Falmouthboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 20:56   #23
niva441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
With Volvo DRLs the rear lights are also on so no need to worry about forgetting to put your lights on.
Unfortunately not on the later cars with LED DRLs. Apparently to save fuel the rear lights aren't activated, unless the headlamps are turned on. Annoyingly the operation of the light swich was completely change on the later cars. So my V50 and C30 have different light controls and I have on occasions driven off in the C30 without front and rear lights on, having been conned by the DRLs.

I've asked the dealer to make the C30 work properly like the older V50, but allegedly this isn't possible. Not even able to have the rear lights on all the time, which would at least make it less of an issue.

Ironically although it is suppose to save fuel the C30 is less economical than the V50.
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to niva441 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 13:49   #24
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

That's interesting, and I think rather a shame. I guess Volvo changed with the advent of dedicated DRLs.

I've seen a few cars driving about in town with no rear lights on, (not just Volvos), I guess the drivers think they have lights on but forget about the rear of the car.

Last edited by Missing Lincs; Aug 5th, 2014 at 13:52.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 18:13   #25
sfstu

I too don't like having my headlight bulbs on all the time and I also have left them on loads of times when i just use the sidelights, due to there being no buzzer/alarm...

I don't mind the idea of DRL's, i just wish they were led ones in the fogs (mines a 09 v50) instead of the headlights!

I'd happily sacrifice my front fogs (which i don't use) for led drls, something along these lines ebay drls
although I'd not want them working from the fog light switch.
It would be nice to have them come on as the DRLs (where the front fogs are) along with the sidelights (led ) and leave the headlights to me

Don't think the above idea would be possible with volvo but it would be nice to find someone who could do the custom wiring/reprogramming needed...
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 09:24   #26
DT19
Master Member

I've ordered a buzzer for when I leave my headlights on from fleabay. What is the best way to wire it up? Should I connect it to the rear of the light switch or at the fusebox, or is there a better way? I also ordered so LED DRL's and I'm thinking about fitting them in the fog light mouldings but it'll take a bit of work to make it look nice.
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 10:09   #27
sfstu

Could the setting be changed by Volvo to have the sidelights (and rears) instead of the headlights coming on?
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 17:02   #28
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT19 View Post
I've ordered a buzzer for when I leave my headlights on from fleabay. What is the best way to wire it up? Should I connect it to the rear of the light switch or at the fusebox, or is there a better way? I also ordered so LED DRL's and I'm thinking about fitting them in the fog light mouldings but it'll take a bit of work to make it look nice.
You need to connect to the actual lighting circuits not the switch. The switch is just a digital encoder which feeds control signals to the cars electronics.
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 07:45   #29
niva441

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfstu View Post
Could the setting be changed by Volvo to have the sidelights (and rears) instead of the headlights coming on?
Apparently not on the later models. I asked the dealer if they could get the switch to work like the earlier model, or could they at least have the rear lights constantly on.

I now drive with the headlights on permanently.

Last edited by niva441; Aug 8th, 2014 at 10:14.
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to niva441 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 10:12   #30
DT19
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
You need to connect to the actual lighting circuits not the switch. The switch is just a digital encoder which feeds control signals to the cars electronics.
Ah, I see. Would the fuse box be the best place then, the instructions for the unit are in chinglish but they mention the fuse box.
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote