Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D4 (181) Test Driven & Ordered!!

Views : 12135

Replies : 84

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2014, 12:18   #21
Considered1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Agree, You just gotta stop somewhere otherwise it will be worth more (at least the day before you take delivery) than your house! After delivery you can then sigh with relief to know that your house might have gone up by £1 ONLY the value of your can will have gone down by £6000!!..........and your house will once again be worth more - Phew!!
Exactly and what worries me more is that there is always equity in your house but why do we (ok mainly me with no cash) finance cars when they only ever go down in value!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 18:56   #22
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
why do we finance cars when they only ever go down in value!
We finance them for exactly that reason. And ideally, you find a way to finance them so that you pay less than the value of depreciation over that period! Yes, you still "lose" money, but you've at least "lost less" that way

Or you buy 6 months old and miss out on most of the depreciation, and still get a cracker of a car.
tickedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 21:46   #23
Mrjon
Master Member

Most airlines now lease their new aircraft as they are depreciating assets, much like cars.It's only the old bangers of the sky that are actually owned outright.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 21:49   #24
Considered1
Premier Member

This will be the first car I have "purchased" for a few years, have leased the last 2. I think PCP worked out cheaper this time but I needed the option to buy after 4 years as I should have a bargain.

MrJon - Would you say the rear park camera was a good investment - I'm thinking of switching my order to front blind spot?
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 22:12   #25
watchboy

I have the rear view camera and love it! It is great to be able to see how close you are to the car, railings etc behind as opposed to guessing how close you are.

I would highly recommend selecting the rear camera option, I'm sure the front camera has its uses but I haven't found myself running to the dealer to have it retro fitted! Given that the XC60 is tall and has pretty poor visibility out of the rear window you'd be mad not to have it.

To put it into perspective, I had BLIS on my last car a V70, I didn't even hover over BLIS as an option when ordering the XC60 as it was one of those options that whilst it worked it didn't, in my opinion, actually save the day whilst out and Bout on britains roads.

I would select the rear camera again without hesitation :-)

Paul

Quote:
This will be the first car I have "purchased" for a few years, have leased the last 2. I think PCP worked out cheaper this time but I needed the option to buy after 4 years as I should have a bargain.

MrJon - Would you say the rear park camera was a good investment - I'm thinking of switching my order to front blind spot?

Last edited by watchboy; Feb 12th, 2014 at 22:15.
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to watchboy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 22:28   #26
Mrjon
Master Member

Quote:
Yes, I would, as watchboy says ,the rear camera is an almost essential add on to this machine. I had the front camera retrofitted a few months after purchasing the car, its good, and comes in hand on many occasions, but its more a nice to have than essential.
If I had to choose just one, I'd certainly prioritise the rear camera.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrjon For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 07:54   #27
Crockers
Premier Member

Agree with Watchboy and Mrjon. I have both cameras and wouldn't be without the rear one. Should IMHO be a standard fit. It us in many lesser models.

As for Blis it all comes as part of the drivers support pack. I like it especially the rear cross traffic control part. Originally it was run on little cameras in the wing mirrors. Now its all done by radar. I would assume its very useful on the continent.

If I was buying again the driver support pack and rear camera would be the first two options to get a tick.

I agree you have to stop somewhere. I nearly added 4C chassis and heated rear seats. Wife wishes we had the rear seats I wonder about the 4 C. But as I've never driven a car with it I don't know if I miss it. .

My car is my retirement present so maybe I went over the top.

Can't see the advantage of the winter illumination pack though. Must be getting old.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 09:11   #28
Westyman
VOC Member

My daughter is a very occasionl rear seat passenger and if it was winter would moan about the cold leather seats in the V70. So when we were going through the options list for the XC60 we offered to get heated rear seats. She thought this was great - until we asked her for the money to pay for it!!

We do not have heated rear seats .....

Rear view camera is good and can be configured to show projected tow bar path when hitching up the caravan.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Westyman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 09:15   #29
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I prefer beeps rather than a camera. The camera just shows what you are doing, often in a bleary fashion especially when it is wet. The beeps tell you when you are in a danger and when to stop. Each to their own but I like the audible warning.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 10:00   #30
Srat

Camera AND beeper for me on the rear please!

Camera especially useful for making sure you're equi-distant between the lines when reversing into parking bays.

Also remember camera software superimposes "wheel width" lines on the screen view, so you can avoid kerbing when reversing into a parallel park space.

I just give mine a quick wipe of the lens with my thumb whenever I open the boot, so keeps clean enough.
Srat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Srat For This Useful Post: