Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2 V 4 valve ?

Views : 1717

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 09:19   #21
liuleichan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow View Post
Best bet blue as i said forget all this 10v versus 20v waffling and just get a turbo model
Some people have 10v and 20v engines - there's nothing wrong with talking about it.

And not everybody is interested in buying a T5. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be any discussions on the relative merits of the performance of these engines. If you don't like it, nobody makes you read it.

Quote:
these cars are big heavy lumps and without at least 200 bhp under your right foot they are all shall we say, a tad pedestrian especially the autos
That's quite an odd thing to say - most of the petrol engines in the line up seem well mated to the autos - look at the differences in 0-60 times.

Quote:
running costs for the turbos are not any greater apart from insurance of course but the smiles per mile make it all worth while, best bet test drive a standard plodder and then try a t5............. no more will need to be said
I'd agree that if you want performance, there's no point in taking shortcuts, it makes sense to just go for a T5. For some people that's not what they're interested in, first and foremost. With that in mind, there's still some merit in discussing the various traits of the other engines. This isn't just a T5 forum.
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:53   #22
chow
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuleichan View Post
Some people have 10v and 20v engines - there's nothing wrong with talking about it.

And not everybody is interested in buying a T5. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be any discussions on the relative merits of the performance of these engines. If you don't like it, nobody makes you read it.

That's quite an odd thing to say - most of the petrol engines in the line up seem well mated to the autos - look at the differences in 0-60 times.

I'd agree that if you want performance, there's no point in taking shortcuts, it makes sense to just go for a T5. For some people that's not what they're interested in, first and foremost. With that in mind, there's still some merit in discussing the various traits of the other engines. This isn't just a T5 forum.
your quite correct of course, , however as hes looking to buy a car i thought i might as well point him in the right direction as the price of turbo models has fallen so far you may as well just get one and enjoy all that extra poke, these cars are high performance of course but if wish to drive one very sedatly there ideal, as as well as all that top end power you have fantastic mid range flexabilty and low end torque, there just a really good all rounder that its almost rude at the current prices not to get one, plus of course a lot of the turbo models were hi spec cars with all the extras fitted.

Last edited by chow; Oct 30th, 2008 at 13:00.
chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 16:13   #23
Blue 8
Premier Member

I don't know perhaps its just me but a lot of this surprises me to be honest and i just can`t agree with it.

The talk of how the 2.5 20v only comes into its own at 4,000rpm plus and how T5`s are a higher specification and the better buy just is not right in my experience.

I do understand all the data that liuleichan as taken the time to post up regards Torque / Manual / Auto combinations Etc, and of course this is all relevant BUT

And i can`t only talk from my own experience here and I'm not knocking what anybody else says but in my case the above is just not the case, 6/7 months ago me and my wife decided we needed a good but cheaper car than the one we owned at the time due to cost of living etc, we have 9 out of 10 times always owned fast prestigious new ish cars these inc many BMW`s Audi`s several Turbo Saab's inc HOT and two wrx`s , so please believe me when i say i'm not blind when it comes to performance,(that's not a dig) and i do have a certain degree of education relating to what contributes as a good all rounder (in my eyes)

When we started looking at Volvos (850) we chose to test drive and look at a few of each in the 2.5 range and inc the 2.3 T5

I can only say that out of the 10v`s & 20v`s i drove i could certainly tell the differences between them , may be as said its down to my driving style? i don't know but i do know that i'm not a racer and i don't tear the arse out of any car not even ones that are built to be driven hard its just not my style, the reason that out of the 10s & 20s i drove i settled on the 20v was purely because of the engine and how smooth it was and how well it delivered its power from tic over all the way up the rev range where i felt the 10v just could not compete especially mid range/over taking power and long up hill drags IMHO ( im not saying the 10v is no good at it please don't read this wrong)

but since owning the 20v that we settle on i have been delighted with it, even fully loaded with my family 3 adults and two children and a boot full of luggage it as never struggled not anywhere with in the rev range be it from first pull or other wise, and its very easy to drive even just pootling around town, there is no way its an all or nothing car, i have owned cars that perform in than manner and this 850 2.5 20v is certainly nothing like that, this is why i can`t understand the comments, i feel Volvo got it just right with this car the engine is very well suited to the manual box and the gearing is perfect IMHO, im sorry but the comments just don`t stand up with me.

And as for the T5`s being the higher specification, the reason we brought the 850 we have over that of the T5s we looked at was because of the specification over that of the T5s we had seen, our 850 CD has most every thing that is needed in a car inc Cruse control- heated leather memory seats the list just goes on, i have no doubt that some of the T5`s out there have a good spec sheet but there no better or worse than any other 850 in the range if your care to take your time and look around

As for the turbo being the only real choice when it comes to the 850 that's simply just not the case , yes a turbo is great IF you want the extra serge that the turbo charged engine has to offer or if your into tuning etc but not everybody is or does, a lot of people don't even like the way a turbos power is delivered , turbos are great cars be it a Volvo or most any other turbo charged car, i know I've had both but only IF that's what you want or need , but i feel they are no better of worse value for money than any other 850 in the range if you don`t want one.

Regards the turbo all cars are down to a persons personal needs and wants likes and dislikes and we are not all the same.

Blue

Last edited by Blue 8; Oct 30th, 2008 at 16:29.
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 17:29   #24
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

All good points.

If you are happy with a manual, I'm sure the 20V is fine.

If you want an auto my experience is that the turbo cars are a better choice in fact the LPT cars are well worth considering.

To the OP,

"Perhaps i should skip over the 850 and go straight to an S70 ?"

I would say yes, if the cars are in similar condition, the 70 series had many improvements over the 850 and are well worth the small price difference.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote