Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Brake lights problem

Views : 38196

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2010, 03:25   #21
Jim_V70_2001

Bulbs nightmare!

When I bought my V70, the front sidelight bulbs were blackened and burnt, and then three of the rear bulbs burned out shortly after, one after the other. I replaced them all - with some difficulty and lots of scratches.

Then, both the sidelight bulbs burnt out again - twice in a month each!

I replaced the sidelight bulbs with blue LED bulbs and they have been working nice and cold since then.

A couple of weeks ago the brake bulbs blew again one after the other.

I'm now replacing the tail/brake bulbs with 36-LED bulbs from the Great Wall of China LEDs and Light Bulbs Manufacturing Company (via ebay!) at the same price almost as Halfords bulbs, which did not last as long as a long fart.

Should permanently solve the problems of burning out, scratches and cursing!

By the way - I advise against trying to remove the rear light clusters to replace the bulbs more easily, the plastic trim on my car is 10 years old and brittle and it started to crack, so I stopped. Better train your wife or daughter to change bulbs and use LED's.

One more tip:- as someone in another thread discovered on his car, three of my 4 headlight bulb connectors were loose and burnt and getting very hot, smouldering and melting undetected behind their covers. And the two dip beam bulbs were also melting and drooping down! Never seen that before on any car.

I replaced the bulbs and tightened up the connectors carefully with pliers, but couldn't save the fourth, the insulation was gone for about an inch and so I replaced it.

Halfords sell the replacement connectors and you can crimp them to your wires after cutting back the burnt bits, it's not a problem.

Check yours to avoid fire and more damage.
Jim_V70_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim_V70_2001 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 21:50   #22
AlexRoss

Smile Brake lights fixed!

I followed the advice given in this thread when I had a warning message to check brakes ( and all brake lights were not working) Problem now solved!

I phoned my local Volvo dealer who obtained the correct part from my vehicle registration number ( part no 30765030) - cost £7.08.

You will need to remove both inner panels covering the fuse and relay board. There is a bolt just below the window at the top of the left hand panel which needs to be removed in order to remove the second panel.
AlexRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 23:12   #23
Toofster

A big thanks from me too! My 2001 S60 developed the same problem a few days ago and thanks to this thread all is now well after I replaced the failing relay
Toofster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 20:26   #24
bodger

I've just opened the relay and sprayed it with contact cleaner - Solved the problem but don;t know if it will last
bodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:33   #25
camgid

Red face Thanks!

To all who have had same problem and to Chris R for the diagram! now to give it a go
camgid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 16:06   #26
MajorDriver

Unhappy V70

Hi All

I have developed the same problem with my brake relay. Typical on a Bank Holiday weekend! :-( Is a Dealer only part as it does not seem to be readily available to buy online?
MajorDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 03:05   #27
felipev70xc
felipe2001v70xc

I just had the same problem on my v70 xc 2002. The fuse/relay box in the cargo area looks different then the previous wiring diagram that I had. However, found this and it looks right on! PS: The RSH6 it appears to be a "shunt relay" for the brake lights. I switched with another to no avail. Tomorrow if it warms up (-19º C right now) I am trying this: http://www.v70xc.com/resources/how-t...eplacement.pdf Thanks to all for great advice.

Last edited by felipev70xc; Jan 3rd, 2013 at 03:11.
felipev70xc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 03:11   #28
felipev70xc
felipe2001v70xc

Check this out! http://www.v70xc.com/resources/how-t...eplacement.pdf
felipev70xc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:34   #29
Redders9251

Brilliant help, thank you all. I had the same problem, changed the bulbs (knuckle rash etc) and took the relay out, cleaned it, sprayed it with WD40, a bit of a tap back in and hey presto, all 3 brake lights work again. Happy days!!
Redders9251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 01:26   #30
jacekone

Hi guys
I have same problem with this light in my V70xc and I have solved it by replacing bulbs with LED lamps. Ebay cost about 2.5A$ each. This have current 10 times smaller than original 21W bulbs with same or greater intensity of light.
Because of smaller current it is smaller heat and relay is working easy. Current of 21W bulb is 1,75A each where LED is consuming about 0.175A. The problem is the shunt RSH6, this shunt is sensing the current of stop light bulbs (two of them) therefore is design to sens 3.5A and with this current give signal OK to controller. All values below that generates Check stop lights warning. I have solved this problem by cutting connections between 2 and 3 in RSH6 and soldering 1ohm 7W resistor between this contacts. All works fine LED lamps last lot longer.
I think that might help all guys trying to solve brake light problem.
jacekone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jacekone For This Useful Post: