Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New member with S90 questions before taking the plunge

Views : 1761

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2019, 21:21   #21
anotherv60
Master Member

Have you joined the Volvo Owners Club? - if your buying new there are huge discounts off a new S90.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 00:14   #22
Turboman6680

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post
I run a V90 D4 and occasionally use it to tow our 1500KG caravan - only occasionally as I generally use the wife's XC60 as she doesn't like to drive my car.

I traded in an S80 D3 for a 520D, which was quickly changed for the V90; I have to say that both the BMW & the V90 were streets ahead of the S80 for towing ability, but then they both have around 190BHP as opposed to the 163 I had in the S80. All 3 cars are more than capable of towing the 'van without issue - in fact, I find the V90 to be a more compliant ride when towing than the XC60 D5! Seems a little more settled on the road and don't notice the 40BHP deficit. Big bonus of the XC is that it's AWD against the S/V90 D4 being FWD - that said, I've not consciously felt a difference from that perspective, it's just nice knowing that all 4 wheels will give traction where necessary.
Thanks! That's encouraging.
Turboman6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 00:16   #23
Turboman6680

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Hi,

Enjoy your new S90 when you get it, a good choice.

To echo what some others have said, I fitted a full set of Chinese mud flaps from ebay, they are exactly the same as genuine ones even down to the Volvo logo and part number embossed into them. Fitting is simple, they re-use the wheelarch liner torx screws and the best bit is the amount of money saved!

I tow a 1600kg caravan with my D4 without any problem, I previously used a phase 1 XC90 D5 and to be honest I reckon (apart from the obvious AWD difference) the V90 is a much smoother, quieter tow car. My average fuel consumption when running solo is 43mpg, this drops to just over 30mpg when towing.

I would question having an alternative make tow bar fitted by a 'fitting agent', the Volvo genuine electric folding tow bar with the associated towbar software upgrade is superb in both it's stowage and operation.
Remember that these cars are very technologically advanced and the thought of someone hacking into the electronics to wire up a tow bar is worrying. With the Volvo system the car senses when a trailer is coupled and gives such functions as caravan light checking, rear parking sensors disabled, cross traffic alert disabled, pilot assist disabled, gear changing adjusted to suit the additional weight etc etc.
If you have a rear camera fitted the towbar software upgrade even gives you a reversing alignment marker to guide your towball directly under your caravan hitch.
It certainly sounds like a very well integrated tow bar. Thanks, I'll look more in to it.

Also, 're the mud flaps, I'll be sure to get the Chinese copies. I'm a Scotsman afterall and therefore stingy! Lol.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 00:19   #24
Turboman6680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrown View Post
Average mpg with 25K on the clock for my D4: 47mpg, so would say you are on the money. mixed driving: Solo, 2-up, 3-up + boot & rear jammed with luggage, long motorway slogs, stop start town, Dad's taxi, … Have seen over 70mpg on some early morning 100mile+ motorway trips (no traffic, long stretches of camera enforced 50MPH zone,). that drops considerably of course if I put it in dynamic and "push it through the twisties"

Enjoy it when you get it, you should not be disappointed. Still like getting in and driving mine after almost 2 years. Still get the occasional person saying something like "No way is that a Volvo", ...
I love having a car (and motorbike) that is not run of the mill. Definately will enjoy not just 'blending in'.

High 40 mpg would be ideal and I reckon achievable given the driving I do.

Thanks for your reply.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 11:57   #25
anotherv60
Master Member

The affinity deal on the S90 is over 20% off and includes 0% APR with no minimum deposit if your going to buy and own a new S90 it is probably be worth joining the Volvo owners club to access the discount.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 23:25   #26
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboman6680 View Post
I love having a car (and motorbike) that is not run of the mill. Definately will enjoy not just 'blending in'.
Same, and it was one of the things which drew me to the S90 in the first place.

Bikes to i liked to be different. Just sold the Honda VFR1200 - no time, too old, illness starting to kick in, … a slightly left-field choice, but I liked it. Kwak ZZR-1400 before that (just f*****g mental ) and Kwak ZX-12R before that (in the lovely black/gold) plus a few others before (mainly Kwak's)

But this is a car forum, not a bike one
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 01:55   #27
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
The affinity deal on the S90 is over 20% off and includes 0% APR with no minimum deposit if your going to buy and own a new S90 it is probably be worth joining the Volvo owners club to access the discount.
But remember you need to have been a member for at least six months to qualify...
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 10:14   #28
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrown View Post
Bikes to i liked to be different. Just sold the Honda VFR1200 - no time, too old, illness starting to kick in, … a slightly left-field choice, but I liked it. Kwak ZZR-1400 before that (just f*****g mental ) and Kwak ZX-12R before that (in the lovely black/gold) plus a few others before (mainly Kwak's)

But this is a car forum, not a bike one
Did you ever subscribe to "Motorcycle News"?
If so, do you recognise the irony here?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 23:49   #29
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Did you ever subscribe to "Motorcycle News"?
If so, do you recognise the irony here?
The irony of a motorcyclist buying a Volvo was not lost on me, or many of my
friends with bikes, who (still) take the micky

One close friend (and biker) always swore he would "never, ever get in a f*****g Volvo". He was happy enough for me to take him to the airport at 2AM in one though