Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HID Xenon Fitting Advice / Experience

Views : 4202

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 20:49   #21
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I've got a 2002 Mazda Bongo Aero camper van (yeah I know, silly name) and it is a grey import from Japan. It has factory-fitted HID lamps and does not have any form of headlamp washers although it does have conventional dash-mounted levelling control.

As you can see, these are not aftermarket units and I know for a fact that this arrangement has successfully made it through the MOT in the last 4 weeks without any advisory notes being issued.

Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 21:03   #22
Bill_56
Premier Member

There's nothing new about imported cars needing to be modified to meet UK MOT standards. Surely that is a good thing, though?

For example, I seem to recall that US cars may have combined brake lights & indicators, which we are not accustomed to It is my understanding that these would need to be modified to pass a UK MOT. If that is correct, then surely it is reasonable that non-compliant HIDs should also need modified to pass a UK MOT?
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 21:24   #23
Meenrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomnumber View Post
You're backtracking. Your first post said 'As of 2012' now you're saying 'at some point'

The MOT manual is current, the Matters of Testing magazine I linked to is also current. Neither state a car will fail if wash/levelling is not fitted.

End of. Do whatever you want. But you still haven't answered my question about imported cars.
Again, I think your're missing the point somewhat. Whether the MOT regs will pass a car today is irrelevent. It doesn't matter what your link to the handbook says- the point is that the regs are changing and intention of the Transport Dept is to clamp down on HID.

Whether a vehicle is imported or not is irrelvent too, it still has to pass the same MOT regs. Jap imports don't have rear fogs for example- that is picked up before the MOT or it fails.

There isn't really an argument... the point is if you have aftermarket HID (or an import) make sure you make the nessesary amends or take them out.
Meenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 21:49   #24
jiwilson
retired and loving it!

Smile Mot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandenplas1100 View Post
Hi jdwilson your 2006 xc70 lux will have auto levelling headlamps, i have the same car they do it automatically. you will not have a switch inside the car, no need to worry next mot time.
Oh ! Thanks. There are so many clever gizmos on these cars - its difficult to keep up.

As it happens my son is an MOT tester, I feel an interesting conversation coming on.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 22:48   #25
hartside

Ive got a 55 reg s60 d5 se with hid xenons hope there self lvling and with washers never noticed either gulp
hartside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 00:35   #26
andy_d
Premier Member

its Also worth noting
Despite the new regs coming in on jan 1st
there is a "grace" period till march whereby SOME of them are not being enforced "to the letter" ...

so you car passing "in the last 4 weeks" falls into the Grace period,,
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 00:40   #27
Gazzza

GRACE PERIOD oh no not the Grace bit again

Please post a link to where it says grace

AS OF the 1st of january the rules are. . .

not from march / april / may

but the 1st of January
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 08:58   #28
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartside View Post
Ive got a 55 reg s60 d5 se with hid xenons hope there self lvling and with washers never noticed either gulp
It is my understanding that, if it was fitted with HIDs, and was sold into the UK market, it will have self-levelling and washing.

As they are self-levelling, I suspect you'll find you've no manual adjuster? It's one one two small rotary thumbwheels adjacent to the lighting switch (the other is the instrument dimmer).

Absence of manual adjuster is one reason I feel enthusiastic about HIDs... From what I can see I suspect a lot of drivers (regardless of headlamp type) use the manual adjuster for best visibility on dipped lights, rather than avoidance of dazzle. Taking away that ability, and doing levelling automatically, has to be a good thing.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:32   #29
Gazzza

Just wondering with out reading all the posts and links is it for cars made after 1/1/2012

Just a thought
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 11:26   #30
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzza View Post
Just wondering with out reading all the posts and links is it for cars made after 1/1/2012

Just a thought
I must admit, I've been trying to track down the detail on these requirements and it seems a complete shambles. I read somewhere that the UK regulations technically don't (or didn't?) allow HIDs at all on new cars, but the UK is legally bound to allow them as they meet European approvals. They (UK) then seem to have concluded that it'll be OK as long as they are self-levelling, but I can't find solid evidence on which they based that (apart from the MOT advice already posted).

Whatever the truth, I'd be very surprised if the new MOT failed to accommodate older cars that were legally sold into the UK market, regardless of compliance with any new (or old) requirements.

I'd be AMAZED if owners of pukka' UK vehicles with HIDs have anything to worry about, regardless of whether self-levelling is fitted (as long as it's not just broken). Imports from beyond the EU, or modified cars, could be another matter....

I'm actually envious of anybody with factory-fitted HIDs as my night-time eyesight is not as good as it was. If I had such a car I'd be feeling very grateful and not worrying in the slightest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post: