Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driver side floor sound insulation foam

Views : 2877

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2016, 16:48   #21
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi deepupn

That Robert DIY video is good

Robert DIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdKzDfvOoQA
also see
IPD USA
https://www.youtcube.com/watch?v=cD7L9hzHtNo

The matrix that Robert recommends is here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Heat...-/360771828487

I would wash the inside of the housing to get rid of any coolant that has leaked.
As far as washing the new matrix I would use warm water and washing up liquid or car shampoo.

You could experiment with removing the panels under the dash , and then you would see how easy it would be to do the job. But obviously don't disconnect the clamp that holds the pipe connections in place until you have a new core and new 0-rings ready to install.
Go for it!
You can drive around for months without those panels until you get the parts etc.
You could also do an initial rinse of your foam carpet if you are worried about corrosion.

Hope that helps
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 18:56   #22
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Deep

You do not say how many miles your baby has on the clock nor what evidence you have as to when the matrix was last changed. I was advised by a mechanic who had been servicing my T5 for 10 plus years not to replace the original matrix, they are copper, not the Ali rubbish you get these days he said. I already had the matrix and did not replace it - the grief it caused by not replacing ( without wrecking the engine I am pleased to say ) was immeasurable. She had 160k on the clock, some of the worst advice I have ever been given. I would be very circumspect indeed about just replacing the o rings and order a matrix with a view to replacing. If it transpires the rings are totally shot when you undo the 4 ? Torx bolts then you can take a view. I would be very surprised if it was just the o rings leaking but it is possible.

Like I said before you will not go wrong with Hella. For what it is worth PFS in Wellingborough UK supplied me with the very same matrix SteveSarre has linked you to. With the small leak you have you have time to shop around so look on the bright side !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 18:58   #23
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Steve
and when are you going to come back to me re the P1 door microswitches !!!!!
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 19:05   #24
deepupn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi deepupn

That Robert DIY video is good

Robert DIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdKzDfvOoQA
also see
IPD USA
https://www.youtcube.com/watch?v=cD7L9hzHtNo

The matrix that Robert recommends is here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Heat...-/360771828487

I would wash the inside of the housing to get rid of any coolant that has leaked.
As far as washing the new matrix I would use warm water and washing up liquid or car shampoo.

You could experiment with removing the panels under the dash , and then you would see how easy it would be to do the job. But obviously don't disconnect the clamp that holds the pipe connections in place until you have a new core and new 0-rings ready to install.
Go for it!
You can drive around for months without those panels until you get the parts etc.
You could also do an initial rinse of your foam carpet if you are worried about corrosion.

Hope that helps
Steve
Hi SteveSarre

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I am going to do it. I will see if I could get the above mentioned heater from UK with cheaper shipping charges or I will go with hella.

Once again a stupid question: After I wash the new core, should I just wipe off the water and leave it to dry?

Should I buy separate silicon O rings? and I guess there are only two O rings that needs to be changed.

I am also planning to buy a hose clamp to stop the flow of coolant in to the heater core so that it would minimize the amount of coolant spill.

I am worried about corrosion and mould. The thing is, as the coolant spill is just focused on the place where I place my foot, I was thinking of cutting that part off and then dry it off. I talked to a junkyard guy and thinks he has the sound insulation foam from a same model Volvo which is in the yard to be crushed. I was thinking if I can get that, I could just cut the same length from it and just stick on to my car. What are your thoughts?
deepupn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 19:10   #25
deepupn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Deep

You do not say how many miles your baby has on the clock nor what evidence you have as to when the matrix was last changed. I was advised by a mechanic who had been servicing my T5 for 10 plus years not to replace the original matrix, they are copper, not the Ali rubbish you get these days he said. I already had the matrix and did not replace it - the grief it caused by not replacing ( without wrecking the engine I am pleased to say ) was immeasurable. She had 160k on the clock, some of the worst advice I have ever been given. I would be very circumspect indeed about just replacing the o rings and order a matrix with a view to replacing. If it transpires the rings are totally shot when you undo the 4 ? Torx bolts then you can take a view. I would be very surprised if it was just the o rings leaking but it is possible.

Like I said before you will not go wrong with Hella. For what it is worth PFS in Wellingborough UK supplied me with the very same matrix SteveSarre has linked you to. With the small leak you have you have time to shop around so look on the bright side !
Hi Bigfella666,

I actually forgot. My baby has 347000 Kms on the clock. I don't know when it was last replaced or even if it has been replaced ever. I guess there are 2 O rings and not 4. As I asked Steve, should I buy silicon O rings?

Looking at the O rings also means that I should be ready with rags and plastic bags to catch the spilling coolant. The only thing is that the heater core stevesarre pointed out would cost be around €35 in shipping. So if I calculate the total, it would be same or less than Hella available here.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 19:36   #26
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi deepupn

See where you can get any o-rings. Volvo dealer is a good bet. Silicon or not won't matter that much.
I would even suggest getting 2 from the first place that you can find, and getting another 2 from another place if they are silicon and not too expensive.

Don't worry about the drying of the housing. You are dealing with a plastic box with an aluminium radiator in it. When you run the car, the fan will blow hot air through it and it will dry out within 5 minutes - and anyway you will probably have washed it out days before and left it around the house to dry!

If you are not going to drain the radiator, fine to get a clamp if you want. If you drain the radiator then not much will come out of the pipes. I used a plastic sack (without holes) and towels to catch the spill.

As I say, get the panels off soon then you will understand that it is not such a great mystery. You could also try rinsing away the leaked coolant and see how that goes. If you are just thinking of replacing the foam under the carpet, check if it is glued down to the floor - I don't remember. Have a look then decide what to do about it. Obviously don't cut the upper carpet itself it will look a mess if you just have a patch. I don't remember if you have to remove the front seat(s) to get the carpet out. That is quite a lot of work.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 19:53   #27
deepupn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi deepupn

See where you can get any o-rings. Volvo dealer is a good bet. Silicon or not won't matter that much.
I would even suggest getting 2 from the first place that you can find, and getting another 2 from another place if they are silicon and not too expensive.

Don't worry about the drying of the housing. You are dealing with a plastic box with an aluminium radiator in it. When you run the car, the fan will blow hot air through it and it will dry out within 5 minutes - and anyway you will probably have washed it out days before and left it around the house to dry!

If you are not going to drain the radiator, fine to get a clamp if you want. If you drain the radiator then not much will come out of the pipes. I used a plastic sack (without holes) and towels to catch the spill.

As I say, get the panels off soon then you will understand that it is not such a great mystery. You could also try rinsing away the leaked coolant and see how that goes. If you are just thinking of replacing the foam under the carpet, check if it is glued down to the floor - I don't remember. Have a look then decide what to do about it. Obviously don't cut the upper carpet itself it will look a mess if you just have a patch. I don't remember if you have to remove the front seat(s) to get the carpet out. That is quite a lot of work.

Steve
Hi SteveSarre,

Thank you so much. I was talking about cutting the foam underneath the carpet. From what I have read, the stock carpet is one whole piece. It is after that Volvo started selling carpet separate for each foot wells. I guess it is the same with foam, in one piece.

You are right. Getting the seat out is too much work at this point of time. I can only get to the foam, if only I could take off that stupid foot rest, which has some sort of locking system. I saw Roberts video, but for love of God, it wouldn't come out. I stopped, as I did not want to break it off as it is a 17 year old car.

If I could get the foot rest out, then it will be more easier to lift up the beige carpet and check the foam. As I can pull the seat backwards, there is just enough space to pull the carpet towards it. I don't think I could get the carpet out without removing the seats. I may be wrong here. I also don't have a wet vac at home.

The only reason why I don't want to drain the radiator is because I can't. I don't have a jack to lift the car up.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 20:00   #28
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Deeps

Like I say and Steve say, have a look at the Robert Spinner YouTube, remove the panels and roll ya carpet back - very easy to do. Will dry the carpet if you put cloths / newspaper down and might indicate the origin (s) of the leak. Robert is of the view that a shot matrix is one of the favourite killers of these wonderful motas so with that mileage if you have no evidence if replacement in the last 100k then replace in any event. The job is a bit of a pain for a novice especially if you do not have the right tools and a second pair of hands but once you have completed the task you can sleep in comfort and satisfaction - especially if you then reflect on the estimates you were given !
Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 01:47   #29
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

The heater core is a known 850 / V70 killer, so with it being such a simple fix, I wouldn't play about too long.

It really is a simple job.
If you do this one and the others, PCV, box flsuh etc etc, it's a keeper, you are set for another 100,000 miles, these do galactic miles.
Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 09:31   #30
George Holmer
VOC Member

Yeah, no reason not to just replace the lot once you start. Then it is done.
The Following User Says Thank You to George Holmer For This Useful Post: