Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what do i need to get 300bhp /t5 lump/wheel pcd fitment?

Views : 5025

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 07:42   #21
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by powernut
read and seen loads of info ,but starts to get a bit confuseing?
so mines std 225bhp manual 850t5 mreg
i was told id need bigger turbo/injectors and a remap??
which turbo what colour/type and part number are they/best remaping recomened firm
as this is in a vw beetle ,im woundering if they could remap the ecu so i could have best engine toque from 0.100mph s anything over would be unsafe im reckoning?

(anyone know which other cars have same pcd as a 5stud volvo t5?(as ive got to modify some bigger brake ideas hope someone can help
tbh powernutter, banging 225 bhp out the back of a bug it aint 'alf gonna motor anyway....lol....traction is going to be an issue anyway...imho if you do feel the need for more power go for a mbc rather than a ecu upgade cos its loads cheaper.....a 304 rica ecu will set you back nigh on a monkey,
cheers
jod
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:56   #22
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5
tbh powernutter, banging 225 bhp out the back of a bug it aint 'alf gonna motor anyway....lol....traction is going to be an issue anyway...imho if you do feel the need for more power go for a mbc rather than a ecu upgade cos its loads cheaper.....a 304 rica ecu will set you back nigh on a monkey,
cheers
jod
hi jod whats a mbc? what differance will it make are they affordable and easy to fit cheers (carnt wait for a trail run ,hopeing its not going to be like driveing a sunday car lol)(slow) cheers
powernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:44   #23
bb54
diy bhp

hi powernut, an MBC is a manual boost controller, it basically is a device that enables the user to overide the ecu boost level by taking the cars BCS, (boost control soleniod) out of the equation and instead of the wastegate actuator releasing pressure at 8-10 psi, you can manually set the MBC to operate the wastegate actuator at say 14 psi.

cost about £30, takes 10 mins to fit and makes you faster.

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:17   #24
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54
hi powernut, an MBC is a manual boost controller, it basically is a device that enables the user to overide the ecu boost level by taking the cars BCS, (boost control soleniod) out of the equation and instead of the wastegate actuator releasing pressure at 8-10 psi, you can manually set the MBC to operate the wastegate actuator at say 14 psi.

cost about £30, takes 10 mins to fit and makes you faster.

wayne
cant agree more wayno, except to add that mbc's are adjustable and can give too much boost leading to bent con rods and fooked engines...a ecu upgrade gives a "limited" maximum boost within the perametres of the vehicles caperbilities
cheers
jod
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:50   #25
sholtby
Premier Member

I havent been on the forum for a few weeks but I'm confused by the comments that a 19T and remap cannot give 300bhp. There are several dyno plots even on this site if you do a search showing well over 300 bhp.
Average results tend to be 275 bhp for a remap alone, 300 to 340 for a 19T +remap.
A mbc valve is the biggest bargain out there for those wanting more power. You still retain overboost protection from the ecu and I havent heard of engine problems.
I've tried all 3 setups and the Rica remap made a huge difference to the performace of the car. If you dont believe me do a search to see what others think. An mbc isnt far behind and there is less initial lag. A 19t makes a huge difference over just a remap. Boost starts to fall off over 5k rpm with a standard turbo but with a 19t this is the point at which the boost is set to rise to 1.3 bar and it remains at this to 7k rpm.
It is a common myth that you need larger injectors when fitting a 19t even on an 850 with the smaller orange injectors. Injectors are designed to run all day at an 80% duty cycle. With a 19t you need to go above this level but you dont run at 1.3 bar all day do you? I've never heard of people burning their injectors out because of running a high duty cycle for brief periods.
My recommendation is to just go for a remap. If you are on a tight budget then an mbc is very good. Go for the 19t if you had a good pay cheque last month.

Simon
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 13:05   #26
Dan F
Premier Member

Well said mate.
No one is saying that a garrett of whatever sort may or may not be able to produce more or less horsepower, etc, but using an upgraded version of a mitsu turbo, is the easiest and most direct way of adding more power. You don't even have to alter the oil feeds for example!!
Sure you can make more HP using a GT30 and some fancy software etc, but that is *no way* going to be £ for £ as cost effective as an upgraded mitsu.
Stuart has shown what can be done if you pile hardware and money into an engine, but that is beyond a lot of peoples wants (and indeed means) for road car use.
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 13:25   #27
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholtby
I havent been on the forum for a few weeks but I'm confused by the comments that a 19T and remap cannot give 300bhp. There are several dyno plots even on this site if you do a search showing well over 300 bhp.
Average results tend to be 275 bhp for a remap alone, 300 to 340 for a 19T +remap.
A mbc valve is the biggest bargain out there for those wanting more power. You still retain overboost protection from the ecu and I havent heard of engine problems.
I've tried all 3 setups and the Rica remap made a huge difference to the performace of the car. If you dont believe me do a search to see what others think. An mbc isnt far behind and there is less initial lag. A 19t makes a huge difference over just a remap. Boost starts to fall off over 5k rpm with a standard turbo but with a 19t this is the point at which the boost is set to rise to 1.3 bar and it remains at this to 7k rpm.
It is a common myth that you need larger injectors when fitting a 19t even on an 850 with the smaller orange injectors. Injectors are designed to run all day at an 80% duty cycle. With a 19t you need to go above this level but you dont run at 1.3 bar all day do you? I've never heard of people burning their injectors out because of running a high duty cycle for brief periods.
My recommendation is to just go for a remap. If you are on a tight budget then an mbc is very good. Go for the 19t if you had a good pay cheque last month.

Simon
if your referring to one of my posts, i meant 340bhp but typed 300bhp. Ive posted up details in the past of cars making over 300bhp with a 19t and other tricks.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 13:31   #28
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
Stuart has shown what can be done if you pile hardware and money into an engine, but that is beyond a lot of peoples wants (and indeed means) for road car use.
Dan.
I agree, I know that there are parts in his engine that you could cup in both hands, with what your holding costing over £1200!!!

so for most of us a remap and maybe a bigger turbo will do - lol.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk

Last edited by bobcat; Jun 26th, 2006 at 13:54.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 13:36   #29
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
I agree, I know that there are parts in his engine that you could cup in both hands, with what your holding costing over £1200!!!

so for most of us a remap and maybe a bigger turbo will do - lol.
Are you working for a tabloid paper now Bobcat?
You have posted my quote "Well said mate" quite out of context.
Never mind, at least I got you to actually agree with me on something!
lol.
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 13:39   #30
bb54
diy bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5
cant agree more wayno, except to add that mbc's are adjustable and can give too much boost leading to bent con rods and fooked engines...a ecu upgrade gives a "limited" maximum boost within the perametres of the vehicles caperbilities
cheers
jod
correct jod, but i was under the impression that it was too much torque low down in the rev range that was the rod bender ???

most turbo'd cars are fitted with an 'over boost fuel shut of system' which prevents too much pressure in the charge air system due to a BCS or wastegate actuator failier.

ideally i would go for a remap so that the 15psi overboost limit was raised and fuel and air was altered, along with the boost.... but im a porper at the mo. lol

can anyone put me straight ???
rod damage.... too much low down ? spikes ? both ?

simon, the MBC i bought can be run in conjunction with the BCS to retain the ECU's ability to control things or can be used to bypass the BCS (the route ive taken) , do you prefer to run with the BCS?

sorry ive stomped on your thread powernut.

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote