Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driver not prosecuted after brutal hit and run

Views : 2495

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2016, 21:44   #21
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveys View Post
To be fair as I said once before let's see the video10 to 15 minutes before the Incident.

Just to get a background how the guy was riding.
I agree, cyclist is probably an idiot, and I would like to see it as well but chasing after and intentionally striking a person with a 2 tonne car has a high chance of incurring a fatality is not an appropriate response. A cyclist riding away from you is no threat.

Under English law he (or she, we don't know) was lucky as you have to prove intent, under Scots law, he would risk an attempted murder charge under the oft used 'wickedly reckless' definition, which is usually used when one causes injury or death by waving a knife around.

Last edited by Chief inspector; Feb 12th, 2016 at 21:44. Reason: Bloody auto correct!
Chief inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 21:51   #22
harveys
Master Member

I guess the driver could say the city safe feature the car had failed to work. !

Did the cyclist hit the car before hand and Just cycled away ?.

Last edited by harveys; Feb 12th, 2016 at 21:53.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 22:00   #23
4candles
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Did the cyclist hit the car before hand and Just cycled away ?.
Would that be justification in your book then?
Be careful, Roy Macdonald will have you on an awareness course for a crime far greater than than my own!

Last edited by 4candles; Feb 12th, 2016 at 22:07.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 22:13   #24
harveys
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles View Post
Would that be justification in your book then?
Be careful, Roy Macdonald will have you on an awareness course for a crime far greater than than my own!

If so hit and run ,Failure to stop is offences well I believe.

Just found this on the same site as the first link , so who's at fault here van or cyclist or both ?.

https://youtu.be/OEEWLesRc-Q

Last edited by harveys; Feb 12th, 2016 at 22:32. Reason: added link
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 22:32   #25
4candles
I've Been Banned

Quote:
If so hit and run ,Failure to stop is offences well I believe.
Don't know exactly how that works the other way round with no number plate to report?
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 09:00   #26
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:

Just found this on the same site as the first link , so who's at fault here van or cyclist or both ?.

https://youtu.be/OEEWLesRc-Q
The van driver appears to have failed to heed rules 151 and 183 and is fully liable.

I would have some sympathy with him due to the stupid road layout, the status and position of the cycle lane is not clear, but he wasn't even indicating.

In this case ......the accident wouldn't have happened if the rider used the Road......

A bit of perspective https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j2qNup7YNSY

Last edited by Chief inspector; Feb 13th, 2016 at 09:13. Reason: Added video for left turning caution
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 09:47   #27
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
A motorway is not a public highway in the traditional sense and as such has special rules, quite rightly, it's for motor vehicles.

Cyclists can of course be prosecuted and fined for irresponsible (furious is one of the offences) cycling, but cannot have penalty points added to their motor vehicle license, why should they? If they cause injury, they can also face a prison sentence.

Bicycles are a key solution to urban pollution and congestion in our cities and the use of depleting fossil fuels, I cannot recall anyone being killed by a cyclist
You did not mention 'Public Highways', essentially public right of ways or what are now termed 'Byways open to all Traffic', in your post just Highways, which are governed under the Highways Act; of which motorways are created under. It is not just motorways, there are also other roads where Traffic Regulation Orders stop you from walking, cycling, riding or driving.

As to penalty points, driving licenses, bans and death caused by cyclists, take a look at this where the cyclist was banned from driving as part of his sentance. Although the RTA recommends discretionary or obligatory punishments for drivers and only fines for cyclists it is up to the judges discretion to award punishment within reason including points on licenses that may not yet have been yet issued.

As for the rest, every road user needs to act responsibly.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 10:11   #28
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
You did not mention 'Public Highways', essentially public right of ways or what are now termed 'Byways open to all Traffic', in your post just Highways, which are governed under the Highways Act; of which motorways are created under. It is not just motorways, there are also other roads where Traffic Regulation Orders stop you from walking, cycling, riding or driving.

As to penalty points, driving license, bans and death caused by cyclists, take a look at this where the cyclist was banned from driving as part of his sentance. Although the RTA recommends discretionary or obligatory punishments for drivers and only fines for cyclists it is up to the judges discretion to award punishment within reason including points on licenses that may not yet have been yet issued.

As for the rest, every road user needs to act responsibly.
You can't be given points for a cycle offence.... like I said .... only disqualified, or prevented from gaining a licence if the judge thinks you are not a fit and proper person to hold one, as you will note, it rarely happens and is likely to be challenged.

Also as you can't be breathalysed for cycling, it's actually more onerous for cyclists as it's down the judgement of the uniformed officer who stopped them rather than any science.

Last edited by Chief inspector; Feb 13th, 2016 at 10:15.
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 12:31   #29
Craigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
The van driver appears to have failed to heed rules 151 and 183 and is fully liable.

I would have some sympathy with him due to the stupid road layout, the status and position of the cycle lane is not clear, but he wasn't even indicating.

In this case ......the accident wouldn't have happened if the rider used the Road......

A bit of perspective https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j2qNup7YNSY
While I agree with you and the Van driver is clearly liable in this case I would also suggest that this is also a case of stupid cycling. Why would you undertake traffic at a junction? I know he's not signalling and it would be difficult to see that he's turning left as he's just pulled away from the stop line, but you could have a fair guess that the vehicle may turn at the lights.
If I were cycling I certainly wouldn't rush past traffic at a junction like that, rightly or wrongly it's still going to hurt me more when someone turns without signalling. I live in Bournemouth where signalling at junctions appears to be optional.
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 13:27   #30
Warkman

It's about time that cyclists had to pay road tax and insurance before being in the road.
As they fail all the time to stop at traffic lights, they ride over pavements to cut corners, they ride along past cars on double white lines, they ride without lights, it's tine we charged £1,000 road tax as a minimum
Warkman is offline   Reply With Quote