Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Head gasket issues

Views : 2815

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 14:09   #21
arcturus
arcturus

Unless it gives an appreciable power increase I can't see the point of it. Gives a very cluttered look to an otherwise uncluttered engine bay. But hey, it's your car
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 16:43   #22
Computer Jones

Thanks for the continued support, everyone. Sadly I'm very poor at the moment and can't even afford the ~£50 in parts it would take to fix it. Maybe I'll be able to find a job soon but we'll see. Also it's SORN until the post office decide to be helpful and let me change the tax class- it should be tax-exempt now but I have to re-register it as a 'historic vehicle' first.
Computer Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 15:47   #23
Computer Jones

Well, OK! I finally got around to doing the head gasket again. Made sure the head bolt holes were super clean using my homemade thread chaser (an old head bolt with two sides grinded flat), a vacuum cleaner, and a can of brake cleaner. Made sure the mating surfaces were really clean and flat.

So it's running now; I want to make sure the timing and air/fuel mixtures are spot on before I put it through its paces, though. I have been timing 'by ear'- turning the distributor until it reaches its fastest idle, then gradually retarding the timing until there's no detonation. Is this good enough? Is it worth buying/borrowing a timing light? My crank pulley doesn't seem to have any timing markings on it, so I would have to perhaps paint some on myself...
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 19:45   #24
Derek UK
VOC Member

I hope you've torqued the head down in the proper order. It will need doing again after about 500 miles. That means taking the rocker assembly off to do it. Slacken a quarter of a turn and then retighten, again in the proper order. I know you've only had the head off but changing the oil and filter at the same time is a good idea.
No it's not a good idea to advance and then retard the ignition to set the timing. Do it by the book. It's very unlikely that there's no timing notch on the pulley for setting the timing, so check carefully. Clean it off with a wire brush. Mark it with Tippex or white paint for permanence. You'll need that if you ever use a strobe on it.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 11:10   #25
Computer Jones

Yes, of course. I torqued the bolts in the correct order according to the Haynes manual. 40NM, 80NM, did a valve adjustment, ran the engine for 10 minutes, 90NM, valve adjustment again. good call on retorquing- I've reset my trip counter so I'll do that when it reaches 500 or so.

time to pick up a timing light!
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 13:18   #26
teacherman

It's simple. When the 1-st piston is fully upper position, and both valves are close, mark red or black line to the crankshaft wheel, after that throuth 10 degre, there is a sharp mark into aliminium cover back. When you work with strobe, make sure that the vacum adjastment is OFF. the proper advance is about 25-30 degree
"It will need doing again after about 500 miles"
it doesn"t need that. It''s a Volvo red block real engine, not any Voxhol or Rover. 30 min working after first start and re torque the bolts to 9,5 nm. and of course valve adjustment again - both valves 0,45 or 0,50 mm.

Ps. Full injection engines - B20E don't required to re torque in Volvo manual.
and if you have any saspisious about above see Volvotips.com - the oficial Svenska resaurce for all Volvo models
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teacherman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 19:31   #27
Computer Jones

Thanks, I did the timing yesterday. Seems pretty much spot on but I still need to take a test drive!

I did question the retorquing... it's not mentioned in the Haynes manual, for example.

The one thing I want to do now is check the air/fuel mixture- I have a Gunson Colourtune- but it's much too bright out to really see the spark! I think I'll have to wait until 10pm one night in order to check it still, can't complain!
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 08:42   #28
arcturus
arcturus

Pull a spark plug, eg. number one and number three after a hard run. The color is the best indicator.