Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Buying Advice.

Views : 2243

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2014, 14:48   #21
Ozpass

Having dealt with Vauxhall, Mercedes, Renault and Toyota for our cars over the last 10 years they seemed personable and helpful...

In comparison Vauxhall would probably have sworn at me and broken my car, Mercedes would have ignored me because my car was over 3 years old then charged me £1500 for an oil service, Renault would have failed to service the car or comprehend why every dash light was on and Toyota would have done a good job but lecture me on every minor detail wrong with the car, with especial reference to the aftermarket mats.
Ozpass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozpass For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 14:55   #22
I-S
Premier Member

That depends on how long you intend to keep the vehicle.

I bought my Honda at 5 years old and traded it in at 10. I had it main dealer serviced once, then did it all myself with no stamps in the book.

When I traded the car in, I got the expected sort of value for it - £2k. How much would I have got with full Honda history? £2100? Maybe... nothing by comparison to the savings over the years I had the car.

Now, the v70 is a more complex car with lots of software to update. However, if you're intending on keeping the car until it's 10-15 years old then I wouldn't lose any sleep over whether the book is fully stamped or not.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 15:14   #23
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpass View Post
Haha, none other!

I wasn't sure if naming (and seemingly shaming!) was against the forum guidelines so was playing it safe. They've quoted me £600 inc. for a 72,000 mile service which includes replacing the auxiliary belt and tensioner which seemed fair tbh. Would also "re-enable" the full Volvo service history, which is surely worth having?

Quote:
Forum rules No. 7
Complaints or comments about businesses must not be rude or contain accusations or unsubstantiated allegations. The business in question will be given the right to reply so consider that before you post up. If a reasoned debate about consumer issues follows then we will allow it, but if the thread degenerates into accusations or insulting posts are made then we will remove or lock it as appropriate. Do not use this forum as a platform to dredge up old issues that have previously been discussed and locked.
Back in 2010/11 I had a 2001 V40 which I took to Harratts, following a Transmission Warning light appearing when I got it stuck in snow. I phoned them and asked if they could sort it out and was told they would do it today if I could bring it immediately. I did so and they had it up on the ramps for about an hour. (I had an in car camera recording it.) When it got it back I was advised that just over £1k worth of work - at reduced rates due to the vehicles age - needed doing. I asked for a print out of these faults with an estimate for the repairs but despite a few request, it never arrived in the post as promised.

It sailed through it's MOT 1 month later and when I quizzed the operator on the general condition of the car, if he had noticed any issues not on the MOT test, he said no it was in good condition. He was surprised when I explained what Harratt's had said needing doing.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 15:37   #24
I-S
Premier Member

Ok, so I can't edit my post to tone it down, so I'll probably get slapped for that.

To clarify my position, we've had two dealings with them, both deeply unsatisfactory.

First was some time before we bought our V70, they were the first dealer we went to. Went in and asked about the v70, said we were interested in buying one and would like to drive it.

Two hours later, after having our vehicle assessed and having sat with the finance manager for half an hour (still not sure why. We were cash buyers), we left, having still not driven a V70. They were far more interested in the deal than actually listening to us - we wanted a test drive to decide whether the v70 was even the car for us. We were pointed disinterestedly at the salesman's car (which was filthy inside and out) - no one was remotely interested in sitting with us, talking us through the car's features, etc. Towards the end of the session another salesman in a V70 turned up and I demanded to sit in the car with the engine running to hear and feel what it was like - they behaved as though I was going to steal the car.

Our second experience was much more recent. I was replacing the discs and pads on our car, and needed some of the bolts which are recommended replacement. I spoke to the parts department, and gave them the part numbers, ordering 4 of part A, 4 of B and 4 of C. A couple of days later I went to collect, and they had 8 of part A, 2 of part B and 0 of part C. This made for significant inconvenience as I was doing the brakes that weekend and would have to get back in there later to replace the bolts that I temporarily had to reuse. They also said they would send the remainder, but I ended up having to go and collect them.

The other dealership that did give us a test drive was well aware of the salesman that had failed to help us, because they hear of him often. He seems to put a lot of custom their way...
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 15:54   #25
I-S
Premier Member

And one other point.

The salesman wanted to follow up with us. I told him that was ok, but that I was busy at the weekend and he should call on Monday. I made that explicitly clear, going so far as to give him hours on Monday to call between.

He called on Saturday and got my voicemail. He never followed up again.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 16:18   #26
tt82
Forum Support Team

Not wanting to go completely off thread but it's not all bad news. Harratt's were able to supply me with parts to fit the dog guard in my V40 when another dealer was absolutely hopeless, never had an issue with the parts department myself. I also enquired about a V60 shortly after their release and while the MO of finance being more important than a test drive was apparent even then, they did let me try Holly in the boot to see how much, or rather how little room there was for her.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 20:45   #27
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Ok, so I can't edit my post to tone it down, so I'll probably get slapped for that.

To clarify my position, we've had two dealings with them, both deeply unsatisfactory.

First was some time before we bought our V70, they were the first dealer we went to. Went in and asked about the v70, said we were interested in buying one and would like to drive it.

Two hours later, after having our vehicle assessed and having sat with the finance manager for half an hour (still not sure why. We were cash buyers), we left, having still not driven a V70. They were far more interested in the deal than actually listening to us - we wanted a test drive to decide whether the v70 was even the car for us. We were pointed disinterestedly at the salesman's car (which was filthy inside and out) - no one was remotely interested in sitting with us, talking us through the car's features, etc. Towards the end of the session another salesman in a V70 turned up and I demanded to sit in the car with the engine running to hear and feel what it was like - they behaved as though I was going to steal the car.

Our second experience was much more recent. I was replacing the discs and pads on our car, and needed some of the bolts which are recommended replacement. I spoke to the parts department, and gave them the part numbers, ordering 4 of part A, 4 of B and 4 of C. A couple of days later I went to collect, and they had 8 of part A, 2 of part B and 0 of part C. This made for significant inconvenience as I was doing the brakes that weekend and would have to get back in there later to replace the bolts that I temporarily had to reuse. They also said they would send the remainder, but I ended up having to go and collect them.

The other dealership that did give us a test drive was well aware of the salesman that had failed to help us, because they hear of him often. He seems to put a lot of custom their way...
I've spent a lot of money at Harratts in the past, and would comment as follows based on my own and my family's experience:

Huddersfield - generally poor to average sales and very poor service.
Wakefield - excellent service, excellent parts, average sales.
Sheffield - excellent service, excellent parts, sales I cannot comment on.
Barnsley (now closed) - excellent service, excellent parts, sales I cannot comment on.
Leeds and also Bradford (now leased to others) - cannot comment on.

I bought my car from Cambridge Volvo in Portsmouth - excellent sales.

I think Wakefield (their original Volvo outlet) is the best for service. Really friendly guys and go the extra mile.

Huddersfield branch, IMO is the weakest link. Shame, because as a group, they're pretty good, and still family owned. Their Mitsubishi Dealership is one of the best in the country, and I can vouch for that too.

Last edited by H20 VOLVO; Jul 1st, 2014 at 21:22.
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote