Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Proposed Rolling Road day 5th.Dec. Bletchley, MK.

Views : 8087

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2009, 08:54   #21
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Tetchy and anonymous...

If I did not know otherwise I would have said that was yet another obfuscating, anonymous and tetchy post by Adam Webber.

Unreadable too.....

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 08:54   #22
s60ben
Master Member

I'd like to point out.

Dyno Dynamics IS liquidated - It's subject to a Australian Stock Market Release by it's parent company, and they are obligated to inform the market of any different news...

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/research/c...de&asxCode=AMA

Also, the parent company held 100% equity of Dyno Dynamics Europe Limited (the UK Arm) and Dyno Dynamics Ltd (New Zealand) was wound up year ending June 2009. The assets of Dyno Dynamics Europe and Aus were available for sale, however thats changed with the ASX announcement that administrators were appointed.

If you'd like to go and get any official news contrary to that, feel free... Until then, DD are in liquidation.

I'm sure the reason Dyno Dynamics dyno's are particularly popular, is nothing to do with the fact that they are/were incredibly cheap compared to the other Dyno's on the market....

As for the magazine pages... interesting in that the magazine has been suspended since Dec 08.

It's well known that Dyno's CAN be fiddled - be that with Inlet Temps, or by not calibrating it correctly (or by calibrating it wrong on purpose), or on some by the old favourite of dabbing brakes on run down etc etc.....

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s60ben For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 10:08   #23
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno01 View Post
I have been asked to post on this forum and point out some facts
Yes, I bet you were.....

Quote:
unfortunately Dyno discussions on forums always seem to turn bad usually by somebody who has a vested interest or has not been able to accept that thier car is not making the quoted power.
Yes, you clearly have a vested interest..... Hence why you've suddenly appeared with your junk science...

Quote:
A Dyno Dynamics Dyno can produce plots of afr/boost/power/torque/temperature/ODBII information from the ECU/injector pulse width/injector duty cycle/tractive effort and much much more. They are one of the most popular Dyno's in the world due to thier provern accuracy and repeatability amongst the tuning and OEM communities. One of the key things about the Dyno is the way that operators can NOT interfere with the results.
Yes......... And I don't suppose taking syncronishing the RPM from Rollers allows people to seriously affect readings does it? Or by just getting the calibration purposely wrong...

Quote:
but don't take my word for it

here is a graph of a car tested on an engine dyno and again on a Dyno Dynamics chassis Dyno

Thats an interesting image....

The graphs are over two years apart... Oh dear...

I've removed the rest of the images from the quote.... Interestingly enough your comments about "Vested Interests" are almost laughable...

You are clearly by that comment putting yourself above such "vested interests" aren't you..

That would be a tad difficult... especially considering the images you posted are from your photobucket account - namely the photobucket account of one Mike Gurney.... And I've replicated that image code below...

Code:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/MikeGurney/Dyno%20Accuracy/page1.jpg
Mike Gurney for those who doesn't know, just happens to be The European Dealer for Dyno Dynamics.... And is so well informed here that he didn't know anything about the parent company withdrawing their funding and placing DD into Liquidation until he made phone calls, after being informed by forum members... then came back saying the exact opposite to what the Australian Stock Market has announced....

Make your own conclusions readers as to the veracity of his claims, his clearly non-vested interests and his post in general...

I do wonder just "which tuner" asked you to pop along to support his dyno claims above....

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Poor Work

Last edited by s60ben; Nov 28th, 2009 at 12:42.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 17:46   #24
Dyno01

S60Ben

your understanding of how the Dyno works is incorrect (infact most of what you have typed is also incorrect)

You are however correct as to who I am

please give me a call and I will let you know how the dyno operates and anything else you want to know

Regards

Mike.

Telephone 01483 600 208

(please call during office hours)
Dyno01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 18:37   #25
Nuisance
VOC Member

Dear MR Dyno Dynamics salesman.

Can you show me verifiable proof that the majority of your dynamometers in service are an acurate measure of wheel horse power when used correctly.

Thanks.

Joules,

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary:
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary:
People are a problem.
Nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 20:02   #26
Mark S

Quote:
Originally Posted by s60ben View Post
Yes, I bet you were.....

Yes, you clearly have a vested interest..... Hence why you've suddenly appeared with your junk science...

Yes......... And I don't suppose taking syncronishing the RPM from Rollers allows people to seriously affect readings does it? Or by just getting the calibration purposely wrong...

Thats an interesting image....

The graphs are over two years apart... Oh dear...

I've removed the rest of the images from the quote.... Interestingly enough your comments about "Vested Interests" are almost laughable...

You are clearly by that comment putting yourself above such "vested interests" aren't you..

That would be a tad difficult... especially considering the images you posted are from your photobucket account - namely the photobucket account of one Mike Gurney.... And I've replicated that image code below...

Code:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/MikeGurney/Dyno%20Accuracy/page1.jpg
Mike Gurney for those who doesn't know, just happens to be The European Dealer for Dyno Dynamics.... And is so well informed here that he didn't know anything about the parent company withdrawing their funding and placing DD into Liquidation until he made phone calls, after being informed by forum members... then came back saying the exact opposite to what the Australian Stock Market has announced....

Make your own conclusions readers as to the veracity of his claims, his clearly non-vested interests and his post in general...

I do wonder just "which tuner" asked you to pop along to support his dyno claims above....

Maybe you should have asked to why the graphs were 2 years apart

Mark
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 23:56   #27
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
S60Ben

your understanding of how the Dyno works is incorrect (infact most of what you have typed is also incorrect)

You are however correct as to who I am

please give me a call and I will let you know how the dyno operates and anything else you want to know
Yes, I understand everybody's understanding of how any dyno works is always incorrect when dealing with dyno salesmen or companies promoting dyno's if it goes against what they want people to think.

I'm afraid the same rule applies with Dyno's as with all computer systems - Garbage in, Garbage out..... I mean, I'm sure no Dyno operator has ever ensured the IAT temps are wrong.... or has calibrated their dyno incorrectly to give higher readings... or god forbid has not used an RPM pickup and relied upon the roller RPM's but mismatched them thus moving the plot round the RPM range and altering the final BHP figures.... Or even dabbed the brakes to ensure the tranmission losses are higher on the run down.... Thats clearly not just limited to Dyno Dynamics Dyno's - the dynamic duo at HLM used to do it for fun...

But I'm sure none of that's ever happened - and even if it did, your all seeing Dyno would know about it and still return the correct figures....

I didn't need you to confirm who you were... I already knew.... I note you have ignored the point about vested interests... you have the biggest vested interests of any party, yet sidestep that comment.

Just so that everyone else can go see for themselves...
http://www.asx.com.au/asx/research/c...=AMA#headlines

and

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics...idsId=01009634

But thanks for your input....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Maybe you should have asked to why the graphs were 2 years apart

Mark
Hello Mr. Shead... It would appear you also subscribe to the "no-answers-all- questions" forum ethic's along with the other vested interest parties...

Surely you know the answer - after all, I understand you are the man who built/mapped that engine.

Maybe I should have also asked, what the true Tranmission Losses are that calculated the figures, and also what the measured WHP was - and whether they are within the ballpark.. I should maybe have also asked within those 2 years about what happened with the engine... I love the comparison relied on over 2 years apart..... I'm sure the owner never had anything at all changed, tweaked or altered... and not only that - I bet the all the temps matched as well...

Strange how so many traders from a small corner of southern england suddenly appear on a volvo forum - and all associated with one build/trader....

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Poor Work
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 00:46   #28
Nuisance
VOC Member

The rolling road business is a bloody joke.

It's got to be the only business where people can generate a measurement without any form of reference and sell that measurement to the general public.

What this industry needs is the intervention of some body like the trading standards, or weights and measures.

THEN... they need organisations like EN/BS IEC ISO or other to introduce a set of standards which specify a code of practice for operators.

These units need to be calibrated and set. then they need to be periodically verified.

When I go to do a noise measurement for a client I have to use an IEC standard measuring device. This device has to be calibrated internally against a known source by a recognised calibration outfit anually. Then prior to any measurement it has to be verified by the operator with a known pressure source. As an operator I have to show my competency and prove it. This competency is also in measurement technique and observation.

The current dyno business is akin to me allowing my trainee to measure the noise with his mobile phone (if it has a dB display on it).

There is no answer from Mr Dyno Dynamics to my previous question, as such a verification does not exist.

Thus Dyno Dynamics have no more credibility than Dynojet, Maha, or the rest.

My car has had wheel HP figures varying from 220 bhp to 319 bhp from various UK dynos.

The current situation is that the figure is purely what you (or the operator) want it to be.

Where a dyno comes in useful is as a diagnostics tool, or as a source of entertainment where people compare figures on the day.

In reality the witterings of Russ, Mr Dyno and some others are nothing more than a typhoon of buffalo dung.

Folks... your figures mean nothing.

No figure of measurement has any meaning whatsoever unless it has reference to a standard measure and that reference is calibrated. this is nothing more than willy measuring with elastic tape measures.

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

People are a problem.

Last edited by Nuisance; Nov 29th, 2009 at 00:57.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 01:01   #29
Nuisance
VOC Member

I have to state further that I have thoroughly enjoyed all the dyno days I have attended, and as a diagnostics tool they have proven invaluable.

The shootout for fun is always entertaining and the social side always exceptional.

If you want to check your car is running well, or compare it to another SAME model in the same conditions then why not.

But FFS don't think you're getting a meaningful measurement of power.

To summarize:

People are a problem.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 02:56   #30
Nuisance
VOC Member

WTF?????

Is it me, or are those two graphs not even slightly similar.

The engine dyno shows a rising power curve. The chassis dyno shows a flat power curve.

The engine dyno shows torque peaking at 4400 rpm whereas the chassis dyno shows torque peaking at 5100 rpm. That discrepancy is HUGE and could massively mislead a tuner.

As for all that bollox of a paragraph of excuse and the "turbo had less inertia" What a pile of whale poo. Basic physics... The calculations for inertia within the turbocharger are based on the rotation of a mass around an axis. A turbo wheel set has an insignificant amount of mass relative to the forces driving it, thus an insignificant amount of inertia relative to the power of the engine (the force driving it) thus overcoming the inertial resistance of the turbocharger should take milliseconds.

A dyno run from lower revs would have had the turbo under heavier drive at the point where the engine dyno started (opposite of what the excuse is trying to say), but that inequality would have been evened out within seconds with the full fury of the 500bhp motor driving a wheel of a few grammes.
The biggest block to be driven against within the induction system has NOTHING to do with inertia. it's the back pressure from the intake to the compressor and the compressibility of the charged air. (which gives you your induction pressure).

Looks to me like the author is trying to make excuses for the failure of a flawed argument with "junk science"

All that this article states is that the max flywheel BHP on this engine can be made to read the same on a DD rolling road as on that engine dyno irrespective of NOTHING ELSE matching up.

From basic observation it would seem to me that at 5200 RPM these figures would be about 60 bhp or 12% out (when corrected) What utter bollocks.
I suppose the "correction factors" also calculate the different response of the engine over the rev range when the drivetrain is damping the rotation of the motor.???? Naaah not even close.

Hmmm nice Capri..... I wonder who did that tune..

To summarize:

People are a problem.

Last edited by Nuisance; Nov 29th, 2009 at 03:25.

Tags
rt mechanics