Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

boost control unit on a t5 engine///

Views : 3705

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:12   #21
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
You guys are both MAD IMHO but for what its worth don’t get your Mass Flow Rate confused with your Max Boost Pressure, size is everything but flow quality goes a long way lol………………

Cheers
lol mad na just like to push the boundres a bit more ,whats mass flow rate and max boost ,youve thown me na lol im going to see how mutch these t5 engines do reach before something goes bang ,ill know then for sure lol
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:24   #22
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by powernut View Post
pedro ive got a price of 425 for 650bhp billet rods
super t70 turbo
can i use my std pistons as long as i fit these rods,and r the piston pins easy to tap out as some are pressed in e.g rs turbo fords
can i use the std t5 crank,ill renew shells mains,oil pump?
std gasket ok,a decent make one
then the head can i use 2.5 cams for a bit more valve clearance,or dose the head have to be ported for faster flow,

Hi Powernut

I've just upgraded to stronger con-rods and used my original standard pistons & crank - I didn't change the shells as they were in very good condition and cost approx £25 a cylinder to change.

The gudgeon pins are fairly easy to tap out (although I didn't do that myself).

Good luck!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:36   #23
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDMeanor View Post
Hi Powernut

I've just upgraded to stronger con-rods and used my original standard pistons & crank - I didn't change the shells as they were in very good condition and cost approx £25 a cylinder to change.

The gudgeon pins are fairly easy to tap out (although I didn't do that myself).

Good luck!
CHEERS I THINK T5 HAVE SMALL CLIPS IN THEM SO THEY COME OUT EASYER,WERE YOURS BILLET RODS
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:41   #24
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Quote:
CHEERS I THINK T5 HAVE SMALL CLIPS IN THEM SO THEY COME OUT EASYER,WERE YOURS BILLET RODS
Yes I think you're right, a small circlip each end if I remember rightly.....

My rods were Kalmar-Union specials, here's the link to the thread with piccies:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=39336
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 17:35   #25
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Quote:
lol mad na just like to push the boundres a bit more ,whats mass flow rate and max boost ,youve thown me na lol im going to see how mutch these t5 engines do reach before something goes bang ,ill know then for sure lol
Totally mad you know what I’m talking about. But in case you’re tripping out lol, clutches? see second pic. But why not fit an auto?

Last edited by Engineer; Apr 3rd, 2010 at 23:43.
Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 18:34   #26
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
pedro ive got a price of 425 for 650bhp billet rods
super t70 turbo
as i said before tho mate, the con-rods won't help the spool up time so you'll still need the turbo & other mods to go with it

Quote:
im in the mood for modifying this ****ty 2.3 for some proper fun so i need some help lol ,as im not happy with but happy how it pulls cruises on the moterway,so
im going to order a afr gauge to tell me how learn,rich the engine is ,im asuming this will work with a std lamda sensor?if not maybe a wideband one
wideband is alot more accurate but you have to pay for it, what i've read is you'll have to run a second lamba sensor (not must of a problem for you tho) because it messes up the signal to the ecu if you tap off the original

Quote:
then the head can i use 2.5 cams for a bit more valve clearance,or dose the head have to be ported for faster flow,
i understand the cams from a NA are more aggressive & seen a few cars tech spec that have fitted them. I don't think you have to port & polish, but it won't hurt & might as well while you've got the engine apart

Quote:
turbo not a prob to sort lol
then theres either bigger injectors and a remap maybe around 500,
ish ,unless this t19 ecu maybe up to the job//
clutch i reckon m std may do as its lighter less pull then a 850,gearbox they reckon these are good for 400bhp i want more lol any ideas
i'd get a custom remap if your changing the internals mate. Why don't you look up a Focus ST gearbox believe it will almost fit straight on, 6 speed with a slighty higher final drive to give more top end speed, yet with a lower 1st ratio for the extra acceleration. I almost won one off ebay but lost it, went for £330 so you can get them cheap

Quote:
anything just add i might be asking the wrong person but worth a try ,then if all goes to plan ,i might need a ton of contre over the rear wheel s lol
add weight, you want to remove it from the front so you get to look skyward lol
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 22:29   #27
RiPsTa33
Trader

I used these when i rebuilt my R, scared the sh*t out of me when i saw they dont have tangs. Anyway 4000 miles later and redlining at 7000rpm i now have complete faith in them. Ran it in on mineral oil for 500 miles then changed to semi for a 2000 mile round trip to spain and changed again last week at 4000 miles to make sure there was no crud leftover from the run in always used good engine flush and volvo oil filters.

Ya cant beat the sound of the tyres squealing in third gear when the turbo comes in
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 22:32   #28
RiPsTa33
Trader

Is this any good pedro? LINK
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:15   #29
powernut
Premier Member

pedro u know these ford gearboxs 6speed ?are u sure there more top end as rolling road vids and top end ,i reckon the std t5 5 speed would seem better and then there linkages to locat and change and maybe driveshafts,elecronic speedo sensor if they have one and maybe a differnert clutch operating system and odd mounts to change ,i wouldnt say say they as strong as a t5 box if i were runing 400bhp plus ,im a bit unsure as videos ive seen the st runs approx 15. somert secs/ still awaiting that boost controller thingys as well ,and other stuff lol
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 14:45   #30
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiPsTa33 View Post
Is this any good pedro? LINK
it needs to be off the Volvo 5-pot engined Focus RS but i think that is off a 4-pot ST (which i didn't know had a 6 cog box, but there you go)

as Powernut says it'll still need alot of work fitting but sure i read on here it can be done
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote