Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warming the car up in winter

Views : 2724

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 20:25   #21
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ted View Post
Thanks all for the comments & suggestions.

Sasha94
With PCC, I don't have the exposed key hole avail & I'm thinking the cosmetic cover will ping off if i keep taking it off & back on again.
(I used to use this method in my V70 P3)

With PCC & Keyless, I'm unable in any way to leave the car running & locking it with with the buttons, or worse unlocking if if I try Simon's way!

I guess what I'm after is a cheap way to enable the ERS, but I know from a forum search that's a chunk of work.

Back to having a coffee & watching it defrost, and/or out with the ice scraper!
Oh yeah, I forget the key hole isn't exposed on keyless/PCC cars. My apologies!

Last edited by Sasha94; Oct 22nd, 2016 at 20:27.
Sasha94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 20:28   #22
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luggsey View Post
This is just an oil warmer, if you want the cabin heated up sooner you need a system that warms the coolant.
Or does it heat Coolant through the block?
It'll heat any fluid in contact with the block. I've got a proper pre-heater which I never got round to fitting to previous XC70. It has a pump that circulates hot coolant round the system. Fairly common optional extra on Land/Range Rovers, and even Rover 75's

Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 20:29   #23
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
As long as its not on a public highway, you can leave you engine running all day without contravening rule 123 of Highway Code:
http://www.highwaycode.info/rule/123
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...n-car-cont.htm

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 20:31   #24
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
It'll heat any fluid in contact with the block. I've got a proper pre-heater which I never got round to fitting to previous XC70. It has a pump that circulates hot coolant round the system. Fairly common optional extra on Land/Range Rovers, and even Rover 75's

I was thinking of fitting one about £80 for a basic electric element one.
I think Land rover used Webasto?

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 22:30   #25
Tatsfield
Premier Member

In the oil fields of Northern Alaska in the winter the temperatures drop to -40°C and to prevent the extreme cold damaging the engines of their vehicles which are all diesel powered trucks, 4x4 and tractors, the oil field operators just start them when the temperature starts to drop and don't turn off the engines until spring comes around. They employ guys to drive around in fuel bowsers to top off the tanks routinely and the vehicles all have engine powered heaters in the fuel tanks to stop the fuel waxing. If you can legally leave the engine running on your own drive..........
Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 23:13   #26
Fantastic
VOC Member

Thought I'd read on the new XC90 threads that they can come with remote start/warm option in this country. So it can't be illegal (can it 😕?), unless Volvo UK are contravening the law?
Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 23:32   #27
Simon Jones
Premier Member

It's no more illegal for Volvo to supply a car with remote start feature than it is to supply one that can exceed 70 mph, it's where and when you choose to use the feature that can get tricky. As mentioned before, if it's not on a public highway, then it doesn't not contravene the Highway Code. Likewise, if you choose to drive an untaxed, uninsured, untested, unroadworthy car on your private property then you are perfectly at liberty to do so, it's the use on public highway that is prohibited.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 01:22   #28
Fantastic
VOC Member

Quote:
It's no more illegal for Volvo to supply a car with remote start feature than it is to supply one that can exceed 70 mph, it's where and when you choose to use the feature that can get tricky. As mentioned before, if it's not on a public highway, then it doesn't not contravene the Highway Code. Likewise, if you choose to drive an untaxed, uninsured, untested, unroadworthy car on your private property then you are perfectly at liberty to do so, it's the use on public highway that is prohibited.
My comment about Volvo was more 'tongue in cheek' - I thought I'd added smilies but they don't seem to appear to be there on my portable electronic device (phone type thingie).

However, I disagree with " if it's not on a public highway, then it doesn't contravene the Highway Code". The Highway Code is just that - a code. There are also other Laws that must be obeyed, which are additional and over-rule the H. Code.
For example - A good friend got 'done' for leaving his car in 'park' without the handbrake applied, off highway, on his own land, but importantly (as transpired in court when he tried to fight it) it was adjacent to a highway!!!

As for remotely starting a car - don't know how insurance companies will react if stolen. Maybe, 'So you started the car for a passing car thief who smashed a window and took it. And you want to claim for what reason??).
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 09:56   #29
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
As for remotely starting a car - don't know how insurance companies will react if stolen.
I'm sure they would take the same attitude as if the insured had left the key in the ignition; contributory negligence rendering the claim invalid. But that would be a risk the chilled early morning driver would have to evaluate and take for himself.

Of course, if the key fob wasn't in the car, how the insurers would prove that the engine was running would be interesting as they would have to take the word of the only witness, the thief, who by virtue of being caught would not be likely to convince the police: "So the car was fully locked so that you had to force an entry and yet the engine was running? Pull the other one sunshine!"
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 14:45   #30
tt82
Forum Support Team

Going off the OP's post, it seems the intent is to defrost the car and warm up the cabin prior to setting off as opposed to warming up the engine. In the past I have placed an oil filled radiator in the boot connected to an extension cord leading to the building I am in. They are safer than electric fans and provide steady heat.

If we're talking about setting off from home, you could fit an external weather proof socket outside of the house with the switch being inside, have an extension cord fed to the car with the reel being placed in the boot, allowing the car to be locked and the extension cord to not be stolen. Then you just need to flick the switch at the appropriate point in your morning routine to ensure the car has warmed up and defrosted prior to setting off. It would not take much time to to remove the heater, extension and place in the house/garage before setting off, or you could just wind up the extension cord and leave it all in the boot. All you need to do is set it up when you return home ready for the next morning.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote