Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Millstone motors in weymouth

Views : 13431

Replies : 116

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2016, 07:04   #21
mike rice

Default Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
It's a VERY sad tale, and unfortunately all to often common in today's world. Unfortunately the perpetrators don't often get their just dues nor do the victims get recompense.

Not knowing the full detail's and whilst I have great sympathy; I just don't understand why people still get conned into this kind of totally stupid thing. There is just so much publicity and warning about fraud of this nature.
Is it worth me contacting eBay and let them know there's a conman using the site
mike rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike rice For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2016, 07:08   #22
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Yes deffo mike
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 07:15   #23
mike rice

Default Chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Yes deffo mike
What are the chances of my dad getting his money back
Old May 15th, 2016, 07:31   #24
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rice View Post
What are the chances of my dad getting his money back
Did he pay them through ebay, a credit card or something like that a good chance then, but if he just put the cash in their bank account it's going to be harder. I hope he does people like this are scum. If you can trace the scumbag you could take out a private summons and if he ignores that you can take it to the high court and they will employ high court bailiffs to get youre money back but it's just the annoyance and time it takes. I'm sure you've seen if you can't pay we will take it away

Last edited by kieran40; May 15th, 2016 at 07:34.
Old May 15th, 2016, 07:37   #25
mike rice

Quote:
Did he pay them through ebay, a credit card or something like that a good chance then, but if he just put the cash in their bank account it's going to be harder. I hope he does people like this are scum. If you can trace the scumbag you could take out a private summons and if he ignores that you can take it to the high court and they will employ high court bailiffs to get youre money back but it's just the annoyance and time it takes. I'm sure you've seen if you can't pay we will take it away
Didn't pay through eBay, he done a bank transfer straight to his account
Old May 15th, 2016, 08:05   #26
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rice View Post
Didn't pay through eBay, he done a bank transfer straight to his account
It will be harder have you chatted to the bank, a private summons is about £40 or something like that and it's usually enough too spur action due to credit file being damaged etc, county court is where you lodge it.
Old May 15th, 2016, 08:35   #27
mike rice

Default Bank

Quote:
It will be harder have you chatted to the bank, a private summons is about £40 or something like that and it's usually enough too spur action due to credit file being damaged etc, county court is where you lodge it.
Haven't spoken to bank yet as we only found out sat pm he'd been done. We've still got all the paperwork with account number and sort code for his bank
Old May 15th, 2016, 08:40   #28
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, County Court is the way to go. Cheap and effective. Suggest a recorded delivery 'letter before action' giving them 7 days to refund the money, then put the CC claim in on-line. Chances are they will not turn up in Court. Then you will win the case and be awarded the full claim. You then may have to pay a small (£30 ?) extra fee for the CC Bailiffs to enforce judgement. Chances of success I think are quite high.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2016, 08:48   #29
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Just to play Devils advocate for one minute: the car was due to be delivered Saturday and so far has not arrived, and they haven't answered the phone. Perhaps the chap was in the process of driving it up to Ipswich and there has been a problem on the way?

Before I rang the other week to enquire about the XC70, I did a quick search online for the seller and found no signs of any reviews for a 'family run business ... with over 30 years experience in the motor industry' which did seem a bit strange.

I don't think there is much that eBay will be able to do as it was a classified ad rather than an auction so the transaction was outside of their control. The purchase was not made with PayPay or a credit card so there is minimal protection with a bank transfer but it may be worth contacting the bank in the morning to see if they can offer some assistance.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 09:15   #30
Jonny v50

Default Group pressure

Hello
I have had two friends scammed by this as well. The same Volvo XC70 for sale at £6000. The car was supposed to be delivered to Ipswich and onward locally. Two days of no show and excuses. It's obvious that he is reselling the same car over and over and taking advantage of people based far away offering cheap delivery knowing there will not be a customer turning up to view a car first.

My friends are in no position to loose this money. Like most on here trying to find a bargain due to tight finances. This person is stealing money from exactly the type of people that have tight finances in the first place. They have contacted the police and discovered he has scammed at least six cars this month.

So far I have discovered like others the company directors are a "Phillip Edwards" Architect, and an "Anne Edwards" solicitor. Also I note in the eBay advert under sellers legal information, mention of a "Sam Julian" with a phone number "Lebara mobile voicemail" and an outlook email address.

I have been doing a lot of digging and find no other contact detail for an Anne or Phillip Edwards.
I am searching for details of the two and will continue to do so.

I'd like to recommend all people on this thread who have been tricked to work together as a group and quickly as time is of the essence to find this scumbag and hopefully work with the police to get monies back.
I think working together to pool resources will make things quicker. I'm happy to act as group spokesman.
I think the first thing will be to track down Anne and Phillip Edwards through companies house to find out if they have any connection at all with the seller.
Also all contacting your individual banks to trace the details of the deposit account to see if it's the same account each person has deposited into, and if it is based in the uk. This should hopefully narrow things down.
Again if all parties are able to contact small claims and county court as a group might be beneficial.

Look forward to replies.
Jonny v50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonny v50 For This Useful Post: